PDA

View Full Version : The worst play call of the game

tcdog70
11-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Could it be the play where we split everyone to the right and Dak runs left for a nice three yard loss. What was Dans thinking this play. Running wide on Bama is fools gold.

GTHOM
11-16-2014, 01:47 PM
If your talking about the play we ran in the redzone i agree. we had numbers on them on the other side and dak ran left. we moved the ball all day for the most part just shot ourselves in the foot in the redzone. all are fixable things.

thedawg
11-16-2014, 01:53 PM
That's for sure the one I thought was the worst play call of the game.. I got in trouble with my wife for my language on the call.. He lined up in quads right to get bama to overload the side and ran outside zone left with Dak... Problem was Alabama is not a high school defense.. They have freaks at every position and high school crap like that doesn't work.. It was a wasted play all at the worst time. It would have really bit us if we had recovered the onside kick because those precious seconds we lost

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 01:56 PM
attacking the corners is where we could run some yesterday. The middle didn't move...

that particular call was bad though.

Percho
11-16-2014, 02:51 PM
I remember asking myself at the time, is that even a football play?

defiantdog
11-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Yeah..... sitting in the stands, it looked like a broken play. I think Dak might have saw something and changed it because the receivers just stood still when he hiked it.

FlabLoser
11-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Worst call was Damien handing to J Rob. Everybody saw that coming. Give him a safe throw. A slant. A 3-yard hitch. Something. We just gave up a down.

bluelightstar
11-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Worst call was Damien handing to J Rob. Everybody saw that coming. Give him a safe throw. A slant. A 3-yard hitch. Something. We just gave up a down.

I agree with Dan's thinking there though. That deep in our territory, I'm not letting the 2nd string guy make a potentially game-crushing mistake. I'd rather concede the down than have something awful happen.

But yes, the QB sweep left was a really bad call. Just glad we picked up the 4th down conversion.

MaroonState
11-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Hate we had Hughes covering cooper on that short td catch. Would rather have had Redmond covering him there. Reminded me of the usc games when we didn't have banks covering jefferies.

mstatefan91
11-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Worst play call was the one that resulted in a safety. Josh was supposed to run behind Ross to the outside which is dumb to begin with on the goal line. What happened made it even worse. Bad timing and josh trying to bounce outside to get around Ross instead of just diving up the middle. None of that happens if you just call a run inside.

NCDawg
11-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Worst play call was the one that resulted in a safety. Josh was supposed to run behind Ross to the outside which is dumb to begin with on the goal line. What happened made it even worse. Bad timing and josh trying to bounce outside to get around Ross instead of just diving up the middle. None of that happens if you just call a run inside.

Problem was we couldn't run inside. They knocked us off the ball all game long. I remember seeing our center get knocked back 5 yards when we were on their goal line. Which brings up another point, with all the people hollering when we were on their one yard line, why not put Dak under center and try a QB sneak. He's a big guy and could have probably pushed it in. Starting 5 yards back, and with a long count, Malone flinched, we were penalized 5 yards and had to settle for the FG.

mstatefan91
11-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Problem was we couldn't run inside. They knocked us off the ball all game long. I remember seeing our center get knocked back 5 yards when we were on their goal line. Which brings up another point, with all the people hollering when we were on their one yard line, why not put Dak under center and try a QB sneak. He's a big guy and could have probably pushed it in. Starting 5 yards back, and with a long count, Malone flinched, we were penalized 5 yards and had to settle for the FG.

Well I would have preferred a no gain on a dive inside than a safety because we tried to outrun them to the outside.

Coach007
11-16-2014, 05:39 PM
I think the Diamond formation is the one you are talking about.

GTHOM
11-16-2014, 05:53 PM

Ive been saying why cant we run a QB sneak for years. i dont think mullen believes in the QB sneak evidently

DancingRabbit
11-16-2014, 06:02 PM

I'm not sure that play was supposed to go outside. Ross going in motion late messed up the timing, but maybe he was supposed to be more of a decoy than a blocker. We actually got a little push in the center of the line and JRob could have got 2-3 yards up the gut.

thedawg
11-16-2014, 06:08 PM
The safety wasn't a poor play call ... It was poor execution by josh... He gets away with it against other teams when he free lances because he is so hard to tackle.. Against Alabama they are just too good.. The play was inside zone .. He hung clausell out to dry

JDog13
11-16-2014, 06:19 PM
What was up with the play where Dillon Day just laid on the ground and watched the ball carrier get blown up.

thedawg
11-16-2014, 06:20 PM
He got blown up

whosyourdawgy
11-16-2014, 06:23 PM

Watch that play again. The whole damn Bama team went with jrob and if Damien keeps it he gets our longest run of the night

JDog13
11-16-2014, 06:29 PM
He got blown up

Don't know why, but this made me laugh hard.

sleepy dawg
11-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Why do you not just call a timeout there? I know time is valuable, but we had to have Dak in there. No way we run out our back up out there at that point in the game.

thedawg
11-16-2014, 06:39 PM
I don't think timeout changes the fact player has to come out for one play... I know it doesn't in high school football rules

Dawg61
11-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Worst call wasn't a play call it was Dan's misuse of the clock the last 5 minutes of the game. Dan got abused this game by Saban. Saban is far superior to Dan during the game. He abused him yesterday. This is going to be an on-going issue for us in games that are the highest of stakes. At some point it becomes a battle of the minds in games like these. Last night was Saban vs Mullen more than it was the players. We both are loaded with athletes. It was scheme vs scheme.

archdog
11-16-2014, 07:19 PM
We didnt run our scheme for the first 30 minutes and we gave them the short field for 80% of their drives. Chess match, yes but Dan didn't kick three of the wordt kicks I have seen in a row.

Coach007
11-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Can we talk after the rematch on a neutral field?

:)

Dawg61
11-16-2014, 07:33 PM
We didnt run our scheme for the first 30 minutes and we gave them the short field for 80% of their drives. Chess match, yes but Dan didn't kick three of the wordt kicks I have seen in a row.

Isn't Dan in charge of our special teams? Point stands. Saban abused Dan. Know who Saban coaches? The defensive backs. The guys that picked off Dak three times. Twice in their own endzone. Dan coaches offense and special teams. Yesterday was when we missed having an offensive coordinator seperate from the Head Coach.

Coach007
11-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Disagree. Those picks were not on Dan. Those picks(2 of them) were unforced errors by Dak. Just bad choices and bad throws. Their DL tipped a pass. On back shoulder attempt, Dak hit the defender in the back. Dak over threw a wide open receiver in the endzone at the half. An OL jumped and moved us back to the 6 from the half yard line.

None of that is on Dan. Saban's glorious secondary allowed us 290 yards in the air. Care to guess how much they allowed other teams at home?

TUSK
11-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Disagree. Those picks were not on Dan. Those picks(2 of them) were unforced errors by Dak. Just bad choices and bad throws. Their DL tipped a pass. On back shoulder attempt, Dak hit the defender in the back. Dak over threw a wide open receiver in the endzone at the half. An OL jumped and moved us back to the 6 from the half yard line.

None of that is on Dan. Saban's glorious secondary allowed us 290 yards in the air. Care to guess how much they allowed other teams at home?

actually, Alabama's pass numbers were about our annual average... save the number of picks.

Coach007
11-16-2014, 08:14 PM
actually, Alabama's pass numbers were about our annual average... save the number of picks.

Not sure about that.

We gave up 211. We had been giving up 300ish Per NCAA stats.

We threw for 290, Bama has been giving up 190ish per NCAA stats. We had averaged 265ish prior to that game per NCAA stats. Dawg61 made the point that Saban "abused" Dan because Saban coached the secondary. My point is that we had more passing yards than normal... that Dan did not cause the INTs.... that bama did nothing to cause 2 of those INTs.

Maybe I'm not getting your point.... :)

TUSK
11-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Not sure about that.

We gave up 211. We had been giving up 300ish Per NCAA stats.

We threw for 290, Bama has been giving up 190ish per NCAA stats. We had averaged 265ish prior to that game per NCAA stats. Dawg61 made the point that Saban "abused" Dan because Saban coached the secondary. My point is that we had more passing yards than normal... that Dan did not cause the INTs.... that bama did nothing to cause 2 of those INTs.

Maybe I'm not getting your point.... :)

oh, I meant PASS DEF... not our Offense, buddy...

and I don't use total yards as my main metric... I find %, EFF and YPA to be more telling.

for the year, Bammer has allowed 54% completions at 5.7 yards per attempt for an eff rating of 107.
versus MSU, Bammer pass D allowed 56% completions at 6.0 yards per attempt for an eff rating of 108.

the number of plays/pass plays msu ran skewed the total numbers a bit.

JDog13
11-16-2014, 08:44 PM
oh, I meant PASS DEF... not our Offense, buddy...

and I don't use total yards as my main metric... I find %, EFF and YPA to be more telling.

for the year, Bammer has allowed 54% completions at 5.7 yards per attempt for an eff rating of 107.
versus MSU, Bammer pass D allowed 56% completions at 6.0 yards per attempt for an eff rating of 108.

the number of plays/pass plays msu ran skewed the total numbers a bit.

For the sake of discussion that's fine and all, but if the Bama defense would have stopped us more....would we have been able to "skew" the numbers? I'm not trying to throw any crap at ya, Tusk. If we ran 100 plays with those same percentages, our yards would be even higher. Right? Isn't getting off the field what defense is all about?

TUSK
11-16-2014, 08:54 PM
For the sake of discussion that's fine and all, but if the Bama defense would have stopped us more....would we have been able to "skew" the numbers? I'm not trying to throw any crap at ya, Tusk. If we ran 100 plays with those same percentages, our yards would be even higher. Right? Isn't getting off the field what defense is all about?

I agree, you... yall drove on us more that any I can remember... we were an atypical "bend but don't break" defense yesterday...

usually, we are a "break (seldom) but don't bend" defense...

that's a credit to your offense... yall had some great gains for a lot of 1st downs...

fortunately or D showed up when we really needed em.

edit: yall's D also forced six 3 & outs... that hurt us defensively too...

JDog13
11-16-2014, 09:27 PM
I agree, you... yall drove on us more that any I can remember... we were an atypical "bend but don't break" defense yesterday...

usually, we are a "break (seldom) but don't bend" defense...

that's a credit to your offense... yall had some great gains for a lot of 1st downs...

fortunately or D showed up when we really needed em.

edit: yall's D also forced six 3 & outs... that hurt us defensively too...

Yeah, we showed up in between the 20's. That's about it. I can say I haven't seen a team stop our rushing game like Bama did.

tcdog70
11-17-2014, 11:06 AM
I would have kept throwing to Wilson till they stopped it. They only time they did stop it was when they held him or interfered with Him. I you can't run it throw it to your 6'6' wr that is being covered by a 5'11' CB. I'll take my chances