PDA

View Full Version : Back from Bryant Denny Stadium

Dawg4Life
11-16-2014, 01:40 PM
First off, I have never really had any problems with Bama fans during my visits. I have had many more problems with the Bama fans from my home state (MS). With that said, that is a large collection of people that couldn't find their way to a classroom if their life depended on it. Rooting for Bama is the ultimate self-esteem boost for the non-educated! Anywho, here is what I saw:

1. Field position absolutely killed us in the first half. Given the circumstances, the defensive effort was pretty good.

2. We have been living on our red zone defense all year. Yesterday was a bit of a letdown in that we were unable to score in the red zone while Bama was able to score 3 TDs. It's hard to fault the defense though (see #1 above).

3. Give Bama credit for scoring the last TD. I looked at my friend after we scored to make it 19-13 and said "we're about to win this game." The crowd was scared s***less at that point. Sims scrambling was the key to that drive. I sincerely believe if Love gets off of his block and pushes him out of bounds, we win that game. That run still sickens me.

4. The play calling early in the game was the worst I've seen from Dan. You cannot take JRob out of the gameplan that early. Now, let me be clear...we were getting our asses whipped up front. However, throwing the ball repeatedly is not the answer. One of my favorite things about Dan is his ability to confuse defenses with the running game. I thought yesterday we got away from that and ultimately put ourselves in a hole.

5. All in all, just a very sloppy game from the offense. The interceptions, missing M. Johnson wide open in the endzone, Jameon's dropped pass on third down, penalty inside the one yard line...just really sloppy. I'd like to know what happens if just ONE of those goes our way.

6. I bragged on the defense and will continue to say that they played well enough to win. However, outside of the first 5 minutes of Auburn, when have we forced a turnover? We have turned the ball over 10 times against Auburn, Arkansas, and Bama. This is concerning going forward.

7. How we were in this game late says a lot about our team. They kept fighting and ultimately looked like the better team in the second half. Bama fans wanted to get our asses on the bus as quick as possible. I feel better about us today than I did Friday. Maybe I'm nuts but I wasn't sure how good we were to be honest. The errors I mentioned above are very fixable.

8. We are a very good football team. Flawed? Yes, but we can win this thing. I believe last night MAY have been a blessing in disguise. If we lose to Vandy or UM, then hell no it wasn't. We will win out and be #4 in the playoffs.

Thanks for reading.

WesternSkyDawg
11-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Good points

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Gotta fix 6. We do that, we win out.

CadaverDawg
11-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Good post man.

I too am worried about our inability to create turnovers. Granted, we are still playing good defense, but we have got to be able to force a turnover every now and then. I kinda feel like the bombs early in the season scared Collins, and since then we are seeing almost solid zone coverage all game. We rarely if ever blitz, and even when we do, we have trouble getting pressure. Sims big scrambling run on 3rd and 10 was on a blitz up the middle that we just flat out got picked up on. Not sure how that happens when we out numbered them. Credit to Bama. We have got to get more turnovers and stop turning it over so much ourselves.

Dawg4Life
11-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Good post man.

I too am worried about our inability to create turnovers. Granted, we are still playing good defense, but we have got to be able to force a turnover every now and then. I kinda feel like the bombs early in the season scared Collins, and since then we are seeing almost solid zone coverage all game. We rarely if ever blitz, and even when we do, we have trouble getting pressure. Sims big scrambling run on 3rd and 10 was on a blitz up the middle that we just flat out got picked up on. Not sure how that happens when we out numbered them. Credit to Bama. We have got to get more turnovers and stop turning it over so much ourselves.

You know how it is when you are at the game, your memory can deceive you, but we seem to play a LOT of zone with little pressure. Our run D is nasty, no doubt about that. B. Brown is a beast. But those QB scrambles when the game was 19-13 were just painful to watch. I mentioned the one that really got to me. We had good pressure but our DB couldn't beat his blocker. Push him out of bounds there and it's a different outcome I believe. If this defense starts getting some turnovers, we shouldn't lose another game. Period. It is really amazing that we have lost only one game given the turnover ratio this year. But can we really expect the D to start getting turnovers? Like you said, that really doesn't appear to be our concern by the looks of our scheme.

hells bells
11-16-2014, 06:21 PM
The last sentence of the opening paragraph is brilliant and I will quote this in appropriate situations if ok by you?

Dawg4Life
11-17-2014, 12:31 PM
The last sentence of the opening paragraph is brilliant and I will quote this in appropriate situations if ok by you?

I appreciate it. Be my guest.

NCDawg
11-17-2014, 01:59 PM
No. 4-Since we were "getting our asses whipped up front", I assume that's why Dan did not go to the running game. Hope we can do a better job blocking when we play Ole Miss.

Maroonthirteen
11-17-2014, 02:07 PM
"Rooting for Bama is the ultimate self-esteem boost for the non-educated! "

This is what I hate the most about losing to Alabama. The POS Mississippians who are Bama fans. They talk the most shit of any SEC "fan". The worst!!!

dawgoneyall
11-17-2014, 02:29 PM
#4. But we should have stretched the field by going more downfield instead of the short flat passes. Our OL did well in pass protection. Couple to three shots downfield to Wilson or Ross early would have done wonders.

maroonmania
11-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Good post man.

Yep, we are still a solid defense but Psyho Defense? No.