PDA

View Full Version : Major program coaching changes?

MabenMaroon
11-16-2014, 01:15 PM
I haven't seen Greg Schiano's name mentioned in any of the possible coaching hires. With UF, UM and possibly OU ( lot of grumbling in Soonerland ), why is Schiano's name not being mentioned? Am I missing something here, he was a very good coach at Rutgers and achieved a lot with less, has a good pedigree ( asst. under Joe Pa when Joe Pa was still relevant, asst at Chicago Bears ), he is young and a strong disciplinarian.
I don't know, but for me that would be a scary scenario for him to be at Florida.

oldjoedawg
11-16-2014, 01:30 PM
I seem to remember reading/hearing talking heads saying he hasn't worked well with players and staff in the pro gig.... wouldn't know the truth of that, obviously, and don't know what bearing it might have on his return to college.... but the 'shine' seems to have departed his persona since going to the pro ranks...

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Who is ole miss going to hire if Freeze goes to Florida? He's been at OM longer than anywhere else... about time for him to bolt. Outside of Hud, I really wouldn't care. I'd hate to see him replace Freeze though.

Saltydog
11-16-2014, 01:41 PM
not known to be a player's coach. Yes, he runs a tight ship but he's known to be overly disciplinarian. I can't see him recruiting well in this part of the country.

Churchill
11-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Wouldn`t surprise me if Spurrier hung it up

1bigdawg
11-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Will someone go after Cutcliffe?

Saltydog
11-16-2014, 01:49 PM
defensive side for next year are huge. Losing Prewitt, Golson, Bryant, Shackelford and Lewis will hurt tremendously. Yes, they have the Kimdashians coming back but they lose some great players on that landshart defense. On the offensive side, they lose Sunshine, still have no running game and who knows what will come of Treadwell. And for as well as they've recruited, it's still only been middle of the pack SEC except for the class two years ago. Now is the time. Bucky can leave while his stock is high. Stick around and he's damaged goods. Orgeron and Nutt still aren't working.

Saltydog
11-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Most schools want a young up and comer unless it's a really, really big name coach with a helluva track record.

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 02:05 PM
defensive side for next year are huge. Losing Prewitt, Golson, Bryant, Shackelford and Lewis will hurt tremendously. Yes, they have the Kimdashians coming back but they lose some great players on that landshart defense. On the offensive side, they lose Sunshine, still have no running game and who knows what will come of Treadwell. And for as well as they've recruited, it's still only been middle of the pack SEC except for the class two years ago. Now is the time. Bucky can leave while his stock is high. Stick around and he's damaged goods. Orgeron and Nutt still aren't working.

word from some NFL folks is that Treadwell's ankle may not be a quick fix like the break. Don't know if that's speculation or fact, but they don't anticipate him playing next year at this point.

Saltydog
11-16-2014, 02:46 PM
spring b.s." and Momma T wants to protect her investment.

oldjoedawg
11-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Who is ole miss going to hire if Freeze goes to Florida? He's been at OM longer than anywhere else... about time for him to bolt. Outside of Hud, I really wouldn't care. I'd hate to see him replace Freeze though.

Freezer may use the threat of leaving to get more money, but don't think he wants the pressure that would come from Fl program.... he will stay at tsun as long as he can tough it out.

Todd4State
11-16-2014, 04:52 PM
word from some NFL folks is that Treadwell's ankle may not be a quick fix like the break. Don't know if that's speculation or fact, but they don't anticipate him playing next year at this point.

It was a very severe fracture. There has to be some concern about some possible nerve damage potentially as well. To me, it looked similar to what happened to Tyrone Prothro about 10 years ago- and he was never able to return from that injury.

Todd4State
11-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Freezer may use the threat of leaving to get more money, but don't think he wants the pressure that would come from Fl program.... he will stay at tsun as long as he can tough it out.

Don't forget the fact that Ole Miss is being investigated. They may be covering it up as well as they can- but Freeze I'm sure knows what's going on with that. I'm sure he also knows that if he stays at Ole Miss and they get hit hard by the NCAA, he's going to become Billy Brewer 2.0. If he goes to Florida or wherever before the ax falls, he can distance himself and he will have Jeremy Foley on his side and continue on with his career.

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Don't forget the fact that Ole Miss is being investigated. They may be covering it up as well as they can- but Freeze I'm sure knows what's going on with that. I'm sure he also knows that if he stays at Ole Miss and they get hit hard by the NCAA, he's going to become Billy Brewer 2.0. If he goes to Florida or wherever before the ax falls, he can distance himself and he will have Jeremy Foley on his side and continue on with his career.

and it's for "past staffs" too, which may give Freeze a get out of jail card with him being less likely to get a show cause suspension.

missouridawg
11-16-2014, 05:07 PM
I haven't seen Greg Schiano's name mentioned in any of the possible coaching hires. With UF, UM and possibly OU ( lot of grumbling in Soonerland ), why is Schiano's name not being mentioned? Am I missing something here, he was a very good coach at Rutgers and achieved a lot with less, has a good pedigree ( asst. under Joe Pa when Joe Pa was still relevant, asst at Chicago Bears ), he is young and a strong disciplinarian.
I don't know, but for me that would be a scary scenario for him to be at Florida.

I would encourage everyone to reconsider the narrative that Schiano is a great coach. Go look at his biggest wins while at Rutgers. There really aren't but like two or three in a 12 year span. His career record was 68-67. He is a good coach, but it great.

And don't forget who that 68-67 record came against either. They played a traditionally weak schedule every year.