PDA

View Full Version : Fretting about the playoffs is all for naught if you look at history

Dawgowar
11-16-2014, 10:14 AM
and the BCS. There was never a year where the best three teams were in question. Number three, apart from USC one year and Auburn's undefeated omission was usually a DISTANT number three. The only argument about the LSU-Bama rematch was that it was just that, a rematch.

We entered week 8 every year dreading the train wreck and by the time the championship games rolled around the carnage of the season had sorted things out. Show me a year where 10-1 from one of the "Big 5" conferences would not get you that consideration. (meaning considered on of the best 4)

There will be upsets of teams that had been beaten dropping their rankings - and with them the quality of other team's rankings.
Some teams that drop off will climb back into the top 25 and raise the evaluations of already ranked teams.

There will not be controversy about number 4 by 7 December.

Not to say there won't be calculated whining and bitching by those who failed but I wager the dividing line between in and out will be obvious.

Again, highly encourage you to look at Matt Wyatt's evaluation of this. I think he nails the basic premise of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=775wbQihs_g&feature=youtu.be

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 10:21 AM
and the BCS. There was never a year where the best three teams were in question. Number three, apart from USC one year and Auburn's undefeated omission was usually a DISTANT number three. The only argument about the LSU-Bama rematch was that it was just that, a rematch.

We entered week 8 every year dreading the train wreck and by the time the championship games rolled around the carnage of the season had sorted things out. Show me a year where 10-1 from one of the "Big 5" conferences would not get you that consideration. (meaning considered on of the best 4)

There will be upsets of teams that had been beaten dropping their rankings - and with them the quality of other team's rankings.
Some teams that drop off will climb back into the top 25 and raise the evaluations of already ranked teams.

There will not be controversy about number 4 by 7 December.

Not to say there won't be calculated whining and bitching by those who failed but I wager the dividing line between in and out will be obvious.

Again, highly encourage you to look at Matt Wyatt's evaluation of this. I think he nails the basic premise of this.

Outstanding post, and you are 100% correct. If we win out, we are in. We can try to break it down 100 different ways, history tells us, that, if we win, we are in. That's all we need to worry about right now.

It's almost guaranteed that if we will be 3rd, 4th, or 5th come Tuesday. With Ole Miss still left on the schedule, that will put us in great position to, should we win out.

The playoff committee won't jump a conference champion over a 1 loss MSU team because they won't want to set that precedent for years to come.

The precedents that the playoff committee sets this year, will form the expectation for years to come. If they go with a less deserving conference champion over a 1 loss MSU that lost at Alabama, then they will be locked into doing that for years to come. They won't want to go down this road.

The committee has done a great job thus far this year, and I suspect they will continue to do so. Should we win out, our resume will be as good as anyone's.

GreenheadDawg
11-16-2014, 10:42 AM
I just don't see the committee putting us in the playoff over TCU or Ohio State. That would place 2 SEC teams in over having 4 teams from different conferences, which would make everybody happy. It's not fair and downright criminal but I don't see us getting in if we win out and so does TCU or Ohio State

Dawgowar
11-16-2014, 10:58 AM
If TCU has only beaten one ranked team and other schools have beaten 2-3 ranked teams TCU will drop.
The moment FSU loses they will have one or no ranked teams on their ledger - they drop.
Ohio State's loss to Va Tech and their elimination of Minnesota means they have no chance at beating another ranked team until the Big Ten Championship. Only Michigan State will be on their ledger.
By close of business Thanksgiving weekend several of our opponents could easily crawl back into the top 25.

Just win.

Frankly I wanted the SEC title but if 10-1 gets us into the Sugar or Rose I will be ecstatic.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 11:04 AM
]I just don't see the committee putting us in the playoff over TCU or Ohio State. [/B]That would place 2 SEC teams in over having 4 teams from different conferences, which would make everybody happy. It's not fair and downright criminal but I don't see us getting in if we win out and so does TCU or Ohio State

This is what frustrates me. People keep expecting the committee to go outside of objectivity, when they've done nothing to show that they will yet. It's seems every poster that has us outside of the playoffs, mentions that the committee will do something outside of what they've been doing.

GreenheadDawg
11-16-2014, 11:19 AM
This is what frustrates me. People keep expecting the committee to go outside of objectivity, when they've done nothing to show that they will yet. It's seems every poster that has us outside of the playoffs, mentions that the committee will do something outside of what they've been doing.

We shall see. But I just see this happening. I really hope that I'm wrong

Dawgowar
11-16-2014, 11:20 AM
10-1 gives us every advantage we can hope for considering yesterday's results. Not versed in the statistical realm but I say it's 90% going to get us in.

DownwardDawg
11-16-2014, 11:22 AM
10-1 gives us every advantage we can hope for considering yesterday's results. Not versed in the statistical realm but I say it's 90% going to get us in.

It would be 11-1.

DownwardDawg
11-16-2014, 11:25 AM

I agree. If the committee stays true to what they've done so far, we'll still be in the top 4. Compare the resume's and we should still be in. Our only loss is a quality loss. Bama's loss is not nearly the quality as ours is, especially when the bears finish 8-4.