PDA

View Full Version : MSU's History in Omaha

The Croom Diaries
06-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Here's a post about what we've done at the CWS with some nuggets dropped in. Just something to chew on during lunch time.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/6/12/4422898/msus-history-in-omaha

Goat Holder
06-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Pretty miserable numbers honestly.

Bullmutt
06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
With all the talent the '85 team had, it was a shame they didn't have better success in Omaha.

hometowndawg
06-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Most success in the first game. Probably because that is typically when we throw our best pitchers and we have also played more game 1 & 2's than any other therefore making our chances of greater success in one of those games

Todd4State
06-12-2013, 12:42 PM
With all the talent the '85 team had, it was a shame they didn't have better success in Omaha.

I think we would have beaten Texas if we would have taken Gene Morgan out and put Steve King in. Leaving in an injured pitcher is asinine to me. All you have to do is go to the umpire with the trainer, and they will let you take the pitcher out as long as it is a reasonable injury and then you can put in any eligible pitcher and he will have as long as he needs to warm up. And I'm 99% sure the umpire would have allowed us to put in a new pitcher.

Todd4State
06-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Here's a post about what we've done at the CWS with some nuggets dropped in. Just something to chew on during lunch time.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/6/12/4422898/msus-history-in-omaha

I loved the article! A lot of people don't know this, but us beating Cal State- Fullerton in 1979 was a huge win for our program at the time.

The Croom Diaries
06-12-2013, 01:05 PM
I loved the article! A lot of people don't know this, but us beating Cal State- Fullerton in 1979 was a huge win for our program at the time.

Thanks. Still waiting on your weekly column. I need something to read while I procrastinate at work thinking about the game Saturday.

Bully13
06-12-2013, 03:13 PM
I think we would have beaten Texas if we would have taken Gene Morgan out and put Steve King in. Leaving in an injured pitcher is asinine to me. All you have to do is go to the umpire with the trainer, and they will let you take the pitcher out as long as it is a reasonable injury and then you can put in any eligible pitcher and he will have ag e needpd I'm 99% sure the umpire would have allowed us to put in a new pitcher.

Hey Todd...didn't that comebacker indeed take Morgan out? Maybe my memory is failing me. I do remember him throwing 18 ground ball outs in one game in the regional that year. Sinker was nasty. We were dominating until that play. Roger Clemons was throwing for Texas that night I think.

Coach34
06-12-2013, 03:48 PM
I cant remember if Morgan came out immediately or not- but I do remember he was cruising and we had the lead until the line drive hit him- and our championship hopes were ended

Homedawg
06-12-2013, 04:10 PM
I cant remember if Morgan came out immediately or not- but I do remember he was cruising and we had the lead until the line drive hit him- and our championship hopes were ended
He didn't come out immediately. But he was cruising prior to that for sure.

Todd4State
06-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Hey Todd...didn't that comebacker indeed take Morgan out? Maybe my memory is failing me. I do remember him throwing 18 ground ball outs in one game in the regional that year. Sinker was nasty. We were dominating until that play. Roger Clemons was throwing for Texas that night I think.

No- we left him in. And that got the Texas rally started. Clemens wasn't the opposing pitcher because he made his debut with the Red Sox in 1984. It may have been Greg Swindell or Bruce Ruffin- they both pitched in MLB for quite awhile and were on that Texas team.

Todd4State
06-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks. Still waiting on your weekly column. I need something to read while I procrastinate at work thinking about the game Saturday.

My baseball odyssey wore me out- but I do need to write something.

dawgman
06-13-2013, 10:45 AM
What was so huge about beating a team with no baseball heritage at the time? As I recall, it was their first trip to Omaha and the only began Div I baseball in 1975.

Todd4State
06-13-2013, 11:26 AM
What was so huge about beating a team with no baseball heritage at the time? As I recall, it was their first trip to Omaha and the only began Div I baseball in 1975.

It was our first win in Omaha ever.

dawgman
06-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Me thinks you place too much importance on a relatively insignificant win. In the large scheme the first win in Omaha is not important unless you win the series. Which game was more important; the loss in basketball Loyola in Chicago or the first NCAA tournament win later? I would have to look up to see when we won our first tournament game.

FlabLoser
06-13-2013, 01:35 PM
I generally shy away from reading about how we've never won the CWS.

The Croom Diaries
06-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Me thinks you place too much importance on a relatively insignificant win. In the large scheme the first win in Omaha is not important unless you win the series. Which game was more important; the loss in basketball Loyola in Chicago or the first NCAA tournament win later? I would have to look up to see when we won our first tournament game.

1995 I believe. Cal State Fullerton went on to win the CWS that year, so looking back that is a feather in your cap.