PDA

View Full Version : The cold hard reality is that we likely will not be in the final four come Monday

Saltydog
11-16-2014, 02:20 AM
and if that's the case, we likely won't make the playoffs. Miami knocking off FSU would've been absolutely HUGE for us but it didn't happen. Now, we have to hope somebody ahead of us loses and I don't see it happening. I expect us to be 5th come Tuesday night. The four ahead of us will likely be Oregon, Bama, FSU and TCU. Now, they may drop TCU after escaping today with a win over a horrible Kansas team but I don't see it. The whole CFB world has been waiting for us to tumble so they could discredit us. Yeah, we played bad and still almost won on the road in Tuscaloosa but that won't matter. Who in front of us is going to lose? TCU has a week off and then plays at Texas and home to Iowa State. UT could possibly win that one but I'd hate to hang my hat on Charlie Strong winning that game. Oregon plays Colorado and then at Oregon State. Possible they could lose the civil war but I don't see it happening. Bama has Western Carolina and then a suddenly bad Auburn team in the Iron Bowl. I don't see them losing. If they were to lose in the SECCG who knows how that would impact us. If it was to UGA then I can't see the committee putting us in front of Bama after losing to them. . FSU has BC and then UF. Right now, UF may be our best chance and that's not good IMO but I'm not overly impressed with FSU. All of this assumes we win in Oxford. The timing of a loss is everything. And we very well could be sixth. Just noticed that Herb Street had Ohio State 4th, which absolutely puts us on the outside if the committee thinks like he does because they will not lose another game either.

Quaoarsking
11-16-2014, 02:30 AM
Right now, Alabama, Florida State, and Oregon are definitely in if they win out.

We might get in at 11-1 over 11-1 TCU, 11-1 Baylor, and 12-1 Ohio State or we might not. I think we probably would. It sure would help if one of the first 3 would lose and open up a second slot for use to lose to. Arizona State losing helps a little, because it opens the door for Oregon to lose the Pac-12 Championship to a 2-or-more-loss team.

Saltydog
11-16-2014, 02:44 AM
by them will knock them out.

cheewgumm
11-16-2014, 03:34 AM
Bama
Oregon
FSU

Now IF and that's a big IF, but if we win out then the question seems to be who gets in between MSU, Ohio Stare, TCU or Baylor.

I think Texas is going to beat TCU, leaving

Ohio State
Miss State
Baylor

Miss State- We have only the Bama loss, with Auburn ( and if we win out, Ole Miss U) as our q wins.

Ohio State gas the VT loss but only Mich State as the q win but will also be Big 10 champion probably.

Baylor has Oklahoma and TCU as wins, but lost to West Virginia.

Conclusion... I think we are in trouble if Ohio State wins Big 10. If they do, I thik it goes:

1 Bama
2 Oregon
3 Florida State
4 Ohio State

If they lose:

1 Bama
2. Oregon
3 Florida State
4 Miss State

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 07:38 AM
if the BigTen gets a team in the playoffs that lost to unranked VaTech while we lost to #1 Bama and don't get in, I'll probably quit watching college football.

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Also our wins are better than Oregons wins and our losses are better than Oregon's losses. There is zero justification to have us lower than any other 1-loss team outside of Bama.

DLGDawg
11-16-2014, 07:59 AM
With tcu's close win over the crappy Kansas, we could possibly be at 4 Tuesday. One of the ESPN guys said it would be a travesty for us to drop out w a close loss at bama. But w/o my maroon glasses on I honestly believe we win our next 2 we will be one of the 4.

if the BigTen gets a team in the playoffs that lost to unranked VaTech while we lost to #1 Bama and don't get in, I'll probably quit watching college football.

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 08:08 AM
I think so too. We should be the 2nd highest ranked 1-loss team, but I suspect they'll keep Oregon ahead of us. May be:

FSU
Bama
Oregon
State

I would love that matchup for us.

DLGDawg
11-16-2014, 08:19 AM
The experience gained in that situation last night was huge. I have said in another thread....that was our first time on that big of a stage against the team that has played the most games with that much in the line. And at THEIR PLACE. If we can make the playoff, that experience from last night is gonna payoff big.

I think so too. We should be the 2nd highest ranked 1-loss team, but I suspect they'll keep Oregon ahead of us. May be:

FSU
Bama
Oregon
State

I would love that matchup for us.

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 08:23 AM
The experience gained in that situation last night was huge. I have said in another thread....that was our first time on that big of a stage against the team that has played the most games with that much in the line. And at THEIR PLACE. If we can make the playoff, that experience from last night is gonna payoff big.

and we played like crap, kept giving them turnovers, had a fumble reversed, an INT where the guy went out of bounds and came back in, but out gained them by 100 yards and only lost by five.

Maybe all the pundits who constantly talk about the passing yards we give up will just assume we won since we had more yards.

Churchill
11-16-2014, 08:33 AM
I`m just afraid that the committee is going to do everything in their power to get four teams from four regions (or conferences) to be in the final four and will ignore some of the factual things you`ve pointed out.

Dawgface
11-16-2014, 08:43 AM
I`m just afraid that the committee is going to do everything in their power to get four teams from four regions (or conferences) to be in the final four and will ignore some of the factual things you`ve pointed out.

That is how I see it. Plus the fatigue factor of the SEC. But if we don't beat OM, its all a moot point anyway. That game will be just as tough to win as the bama game imo. Not saying we are going to lose, but we have to play better to win.

DLGDawg
11-16-2014, 08:43 AM
That could be true and I bet the committee is hoping bigtime w lose at Oxford to avoid the situation.

Without getting into all the "what ifs". I'm just looking at us. Win our 2 next games and we are 11-1 with the one loss at bama. I just can't see how we are not one of the top 4.

DownwardDawg
11-16-2014, 08:54 AM
That is how I see it. Plus the fatigue factor of the SEC. But if we don't beat OM, its all a moot point anyway. That game will be just as tough to win as the bama game imo. Not saying we are going to lose, but we have to play better to win.

I just don't see us losing to ole miss. How will they stop us? They haven't even slowed down a running team all year. They cannot withstand a physical matchup. You must be basing this off of their win against Bama early in the season when Kiffin had the worst gameplan I've seen until ours yesterday. He tried to throw the ball all day against them when Yeldon and Henry were gaining 4-5 yards a carry. Arkansas is going to beat ole miss soundly and beat them up physically too. It won't surprise me to see ole miss lose a couple more starters for our game due to injury.
I'm sur they will score a few points on our secondary, but they are no threat to run and they can't stop us. We'll score 35+ against them.

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 08:57 AM
That could be true and I bet the committee is hoping bigtime w lose at Oxford to avoid the situation.

Without getting into all the "what ifs". I'm just looking at us. Win our 2 next games and we are 11-1 with the one loss at bama. I just can't see how we are not one of the top 4.

I can't see how we're the second best 1-loss team only behind Bama. I wouldn't be shocked if were 3rd this week.

DLGDawg
11-16-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm with ya Hack. We SHOULD drop no lower than 3.
I'm really not worried if we fall to 5 this week. Go 11-1 and we are in. I just can't see us not being there. There's just NO WAY the committe could exclude us.

I can't see how we're the second best 1-loss team only behind Bama. I wouldn't be shocked if were 3rd this week.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-16-2014, 09:14 AM
I hate to say it, but I think we'll be 6th. They'll compare us v bama and OSU v Minnesota to say that OSU passes the eye test over us, which is a ****ing joke. It seems like our history of being a bad team is held against us more than any other team I've ever seen.

I seen it dawg
11-16-2014, 09:55 AM
It should be FSU, Bama, Ore, Us. And please stay that was the rest of the yr. I want to break that piece of shit Winston in half.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 09:59 AM

This is kinda of my thought as well. We can break it down every which way, but, from a common sense, justice, etc perspective, if your only loss on the year is at Alabama, you should be the in playoff and I believe we will.

Dawgfan77
11-16-2014, 10:00 AM
So our loss to the #5 team at there place is worse than #5 loss to what could be an 8-4 team on the road. Bama and state are equal IMO Top 4 should be FSU bama Oregon MSU

dawgs
11-16-2014, 10:06 AM

Don't be so paranoid, the committee hasn't done anything to indicate that yet. There are too many people on that committee with too much pride and dignity to not choose who they think deserves it based on their resumes.

VandelayIndustries
11-16-2014, 10:08 AM
At worst we are 5th, but I think we sneak in at 4th.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Don't be so paranoid, the committee hasn't done anything to indicate that yet. There are too many people on that committee with too much pride and dignity to not choose who they think deserves it based on their resumes.

This

The committee has done a great job so far, and people keep getting paranoid that they will screw everything up, when they haven't shown they will do that.

At this point, I believe we are in if we win out.

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 10:18 AM
This

The committee has done a great job so far, and people keep getting paranoid that they will screw everything up, when they haven't shown they will do that.

TCU being top 4 doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the committee.

dawgs
11-16-2014, 10:18 AM
This

Yep and they've said it hasn't been close between us and #2, which tells me they think highly of our performance in the first 9 games.

RIdog
11-16-2014, 10:26 AM
1.Bama
2.Oregon
3.Florida State
4.MSU

Bama jumps to #1 .

Churchill
11-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Yep and they've said it hasn't been close between us and #2, which tells me they think highly of our performance in the first 9 games.

We got to where we are with wins over then highly ranked LSU, A&M and Aubie. They have all been shown to be huge pretenders. I very much think we`re one of the top 4 teams in the country but our first nine game performance has unfortunately lost much of it`s luster.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 10:29 AM
TCU being top 4 doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the committee.

They'll drop them this week and put us at 4. With that being said though, we better not go out and screw around with Vandy or we'll be a victim of the same thing.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 10:33 AM
We got to where we are with wins over then highly ranked LSU, A&M and Aubie. They have all been shown to be huge pretenders. I very much think we`re one of the top 4 teams in the country but our first nine game performance has unfortunately lost much of it`s luster.

Your over thinking it IMO. Just because LSU, A&M, and Aubie lose a game doesn't mean they are pretenders. Any reasonable person know these are good teams with great players, but, due to the competitive level of their conference, have lost games.

This is the SEC's problem in the playoff era. Arkansas would win the ACC Coastal and possibly the entire conference, but because they haven't been good enough to win SEC games, people think they stink. Then, when they go out and beat someone, everyone then assumes that the team they beat sucks.

I think the playoff committee is smarter than this.

Churchill
11-16-2014, 10:44 AM
"I think the playoff committee is smarter than this."

LOL I`m guess I`m just not smart enough to know how smart the committee is. I am smart enough to know that on a neutral field with neutral refs we are one of the top four teams in the country and I`m old enough to know that money and politics control just about everything in this country. We`ve just got to be single minded about winning out and letting the chips fall where they may.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 10:54 AM
"I think the playoff committee is smarter than this."

LOL I`m guess I`m just not smart enough to know how smart the committee is. I am smart enough to know that on a neutral field with neutral refs we are one of the top four teams in the country and I`m old enough to know that money and politics control just about everything in this country. We`ve just got to be single minded about winning out and letting the chips fall where they may.

Another paranoid poster that doesn't believe the committee will do the right thing. They've done a good, objective job thus far, yet people keep thinking they'll succumb to pressure and screw everyone. Not sure why people believe this.

Churchill
11-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Another paranoid poster that doesn't believe the committee will do the right thing. They've done a good, objective job thus far, yet people keep thinking they'll succumb to pressure and screw everyone. Not sure why people believe this.

A good objective job of what ? Giving the press something to write about and football fans something to talk about ? The fact is they haven`t done anything until they make the real selections. You`ve called me a "paranoid poster" well I`m calling you a naive poster if you think they`re just going to waltz a second SEC team into the playoffs if they have any other half way justifiable option. Are you totally unaware how sick the rest of the country is of "SEC bias" ? No offense but we`ll just agree to disagree.

FlabLoser
11-16-2014, 11:27 AM
This

No matter where we stand this week, we are going to have to win out to make the playoffs. Lose one more and we're out. Win the next 2 and we are in.

Saltydog
11-16-2014, 11:39 AM
now I think we're on the outside looking in. Yes, we'd have to win out but even if that happen we'll have to hope others lose.

PMDawg
11-16-2014, 11:49 AM
I predict:
1. FSU
2. BAMA
3. OREGON
4. TCU
5. OSU
6. STATE

dont agree with that, but that is my prediction. Oregon and OSU could easily lose in their conference championship game and TCU could lose to Texas. Still some games to play, so lets just win out and let the chips fall where they may.

GTHOM
11-16-2014, 11:57 AM
I just don't see us losing to ole miss. How will they stop us? They haven't even slowed down a running team all year. They cannot withstand a physical matchup. You must be basing this off of their win against Bama early in the season when Kiffin had the worst gameplan I've seen until ours yesterday. He tried to throw the ball all day against them when Yeldon and Henry were gaining 4-5 yards a carry. Arkansas is going to beat ole miss soundly and beat them up physically too. It won't surprise me to see ole miss lose a couple more starters for our game due to injury.
I'm sur they will score a few points on our secondary, but they are no threat to run and they can't stop us. We'll score 35+ against them.

Not to mention we already play our ass off against them add that to the fact that we know we have to win? Yeah i see us winning that one. Dont see how anyone not wearing a bow tie and sipping cough syrup could disagree

Political Hack
11-16-2014, 12:01 PM
I predict:
1. FSU
2. BAMA
3. OREGON
4. TCU
5. OSU
6. STATE

dont agree with that, but that is my prediction. Oregon and OSU could easily lose in their conference championship game and TCU could lose to Texas. Still some games to play, so lets just win out and let the chips fall where they may.

so our 1 loss is to #2, but we're the 5th best 1-loss team? Don't buy it. our wins are better than every other team on that list and our 1 loss is better than everyone's on that list. Bama has a tie breaker. We honestly should be 3rd behind Bama at 2.

PMDawg
11-16-2014, 12:08 PM
I agree, but the results of yesterdays games really screwed us. The one time we need the SECW to do its part, all 3 teams shit the bed. LSU and A&M are not top 25 wins anymore. Auburn hanging by a thread. Our OOC was a joke, and it may actually cost us. Everybody that cried about the Ok State game last year....do you see it now?