PDA

View Full Version : Our Resume

HSVDawg
11-15-2014, 11:40 PM
This has not been a good day for our playoff chances. Come tomorrow, it is very likely we will only have ONE win over a current Top 25 team, and that will be at home over an Auburn team that will be at the tail end of the Top 20. That is assuming that 7-4 LSU drops out and I see no reason why they shouldn't. So as good as the "three straight top 10 wins" were at the time, it looks like they will mean very little when the playoff committee puts together their final ranking. Shit, even Kentucky got their asses handed to them and are now 5-6 after starting 5-1. Combine that with FSU pulling another one out of their ass and things aren't looking good. Bottom line....playoff chances are slim unless Bama drops the Iron Bowl and we win out. Gotta take care of what we can control and win these last two.

I seen it dawg
11-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Our resume is as good as any team in the country. We should be 2 or 3

Charlie_Sheen420
11-15-2014, 11:55 PM
Whether you like it or not, we have to pull for Ole Piss next week....and then beat that ass in Oxford. It looks better as a win that way. And Vandy needs to be a blowout win, need all the style points we can get at this point.

I seen it dawg
11-15-2014, 11:55 PM
Whether you like it or not, we have to pull for Ole Piss next week....and then beat that ass in Oxford. It looks better as a win that way. And Vandy needs to be a blowout win, need all the style points we can get at this point.

The hell we do.

HSVDawg
11-16-2014, 12:22 AM
Our resume is as good as any team in the country. We should be 2 or 3

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. For the record, I absolutely think we are a Top 4 team. But you have to look at it from the eyes of the committee, and I don't think they are going to do the SEC any favors. For example...

1) FSU will be undefeated and ahead of us.
2) Bama will obviously be ahead of us after their win head to head
3) Of the 1-loss teams, Oregon has the best resume in terms of wins with three victories over teams in the playoff committee top 25 (Mich State, UCLA, Utah), and their one loss isn't terrible as it was to another top 25 team in Arizona. They will be ahead of us.
4) TCU will be ahead of us as their one playoff committee top 25 win (2-loss KSU) is better than ours (3-loss Auburn). Their loss also was not terrible (Top 10 Baylor)

Us and Arizona State will likely be in a tossup for the 5/6 spots. Even though they have two top 25 wins (Notre Dame, Utah) to our one as of Tuesday (Auburn), we should get the nod as our loss was much better than their drubbing they took from UCLA at home. So I think we settle in at the 5 spot, but being 2 or 3 on Tuesday is definitely a stretch. Guess we'll find out in a few days.

Todd4State
11-16-2014, 12:52 AM
LSU is no worse than a seven win team- and I think they will beat Texas A&M. If they do, they will be an 8 win team and will probably be a top 25 team. The fact that we beat them at Death Valley is going to count for something.

Texas A&M is essentially in the same boat. That's a team that is at least a seven win team and maybe an 8 win team. Either way- one is a seven win team and the other is an 8 win team.

Auburn is going to kill Samford for their 8th win. Alabama is a rivalry game so throw out the record book- but I bet Bama beats them. Again, an at least 8 win team.

Kentucky is melting down. I think they finish 5-7 after they lose to Louisville.

Arkansas has a chance to be a bowl team. They're not as bad as their record.

Ole Miss is an 8 win team right now. If we beat them, that's another ranked team.

Also on the OOC front- South Alabama became bowl eligible and I think UAB will beat USM to become bowl eligible. Compare that to Baylor who played 0-9 SMU and 4-6 Buffalo.

I really think we will be fine as long as we don't get upset by Vandy and win the Egg Bowl.

Todd4State
11-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Guess we will have to agree to disagree. For the record, I absolutely think we are a Top 4 team. But you have to look at it from the eyes of the committee, and I don't think they are going to do the SEC any favors. For example...

1) FSU will be undefeated and ahead of us.
2) Bama will obviously be ahead of us after their win head to head
3) Of the 1-loss teams, Oregon has the best resume in terms of wins with three victories over teams in the playoff committee top 25 (Mich State, UCLA, Utah), and their one loss isn't terrible as it was to another top 25 team in Arizona. They will be ahead of us.
4) TCU will be ahead of us as their one playoff committee top 25 win (2-loss KSU) is better than ours (3-loss Auburn). Their loss also was not terrible (Top 10 Baylor)

Us and Arizona State will likely be in a tossup for the 5/6 spots. Even though they have two top 25 wins (Notre Dame, Utah) to our one as of Tuesday (Auburn), we should get the nod as our loss was much better than their drubbing they took from UCLA at home. So I think we settle in at the 5 spot, but being 2 or 3 on Tuesday is definitely a stretch. Guess we'll find out in a few days.

Don't forget that Auburn beat Kansas State on the road. That might end up being quite helpful in a couple of weeks.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 01:02 AM
If we win out, we'll be in. The problem with the SEC is that there are to many good teams and someone has to lose the game. Auburn would win the Big 10, ACC, Big 12, and contend in the Pac 12.

Auburn beat Kansas State at Kansas State, so our win should be better than TCU's. Plus TCU doens't have anyone left on their schedule with a pulse, and we have Ole Miss. You also have to consider our loss. I know the committee looks at wins, but they can't ignore your loss. We loss at the toughest place in all of football to win a game and we only lost by 5 points. We also passed the eye test for anyone that has any clue what they are looking at. TCU didn't pass the eye test when they were almost beat by Kansas. That being said, we will have to pass the eye test next weekend against Vandy. We need a convincing win.

Again, I really feel like if we win out, we will be in the playoff.

HSVDawg
11-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Thats a good breakdown, but I still think at least in terms of next week's rankings, 5th is about where our ceiling should be (maybe 4th if they penalize TCU for their scare against Kansas). And even if that is the case, 5th is not the worst position to be in. The 4 teams ahead of us will have a combined 10-12 games left to play and it only will take one slip up for us to get right back in the mix. We just need to take care of business these last two games

EdDawg
11-16-2014, 01:06 AM
If we are not seen as a top 5 team then that doesn't give Bama a big win and they got the win at home. However if we beat the Bears in Oxford that will give us a win over the team that beat Bama. So will that be seen as a quality win for us/quality loss for bama OR just another win for us/bad loss for Bama? And we still wouldn't have a bad loss.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 01:34 AM
We need Ole Miss to beat Arkansas. That would give us a chance to beat another ranked team and solidify our resume. If we win out, I'm fairly certain we'll be in.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 02:21 AM
The SEC has a problem in that it has to many good teams. Texas A&M, LSU, and Auburn will all fall in the ranking, but we all know every one of them are likely one of the best 20 teams in the country. Arkansas is as well. The whole system is garbage.

I seen it dawg
11-16-2014, 09:41 AM
The SEC is about to start pimping us as the 2nd sec team in. Watch the media get all over us the next 3 days.