PDA

View Full Version : Constructive Criticism discussion...

CadaverDawg
11-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Let me start by saying, I'm over this game. But, I thought it might be good to look at some things we need to improve on if we want to take that next step under Mullen. (Which could still happen this year with a few breaks)

Let's start with this....

How is Mullen so blatantly ignoring our kickoff return team?

Guys, this unit is a disaster. We NEVER get beyond the 20 if we return a kick, much less the 25. He sees this every single game, yet never changes it and has 2 guys incapable of making a big return back there. At halftime Mullen said "we have to start winning the field position game". Well Dan, we lose at least 30-40 yards of field position per game on kickoffs alone.

And punt returns are a whole different story, but we finally got a return tonight due to them out kicking their coverage.

If we are going to take that next step, we have to improve our return games. They don't have to be all world, but they can't continue to be a liability.

Feel free to add to the "return game" discussion, or point out some other things we need to improve on.

(Again, just discussion, no bashing)

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2014, 09:05 PM
I agree on kickoffs. I can't understand the personnel we use when we have better players.

msstate7
11-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Donald Gray will be the solution imo. Unfortunately it'll be next year

CadaverDawg
11-15-2014, 09:07 PM
I agree on kickoffs. I can't understand the personnel we use when we have better players.

I feel like Fred Ross has proven enough already to get a shot back there. He can't do any worse, and he has way more playmaking ability than both Johnson and Holloway.

HoopsDawg
11-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Donald Gray will be the solution imo. Unfortunately it'll be next year

Gray will help, but we have guys like #51 and guys like Taurus Ward blocking. I just don't get it. There's nothing there.

JohnnyQuid
11-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Both of them tiptoe and never hit top end speed....... at this point i think anyone would be better. Johnson is just plain out of place there and holloway with track star speed tip toes then gets knocked over by a breeze coming his way.

HoopsDawg
11-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Both of them tiptoe and never hit top end speed....... at this point i think anyone would be better. Johnson is just plain out of place there and holloway with track star speed tip toes then gets knocked over by a breeze coming his way.

You're right that those guys aren't great returners, but our blocking schemes and personnel sucks.

Dawg61
11-15-2014, 09:23 PM
I feel like Fred Ross has proven enough already to get a shot back there. He can't do any worse, and he has way more playmaking ability than both Johnson and Holloway.

Will Redmond. Let's see if he's got some Deion in him.

Political Hack
11-15-2014, 09:24 PM
I'd put Clausell back there ahead of RoJo at this point. It's like he shits his diaper every time he starts running at the wall. I don't get it. He's a stud... just can't muster up the gumption to go full out on kick return.

Political Hack
11-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Will Redmond. Let's see if he's got some Deion in him.

please lord. Teams aren't throwing or running at him any more. use him elsewhere. it's in the plans... just execute.

thf24
11-15-2014, 09:28 PM
RoJo just isn't very fast. He's not supposed to return the ball, he's back there as a blocker. Which is retarded because everyone knows that at this point and simply kick it to him for an easy stop at the 10-15. Come on Mullen, stop with the cutsey return "strategy" and put a guy back there who's fast enough to at least get it to the 20 before the coverage gets there.

JohnnyQuid
11-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Id honestly love to see , at least for Vandy where we can test some things, Gabe Myles and Fred Ross. They cant be any worse but .. 17 me the upside is alot better.

Liverpooldawg
11-15-2014, 09:32 PM
We were very timid back there today. If you are going to return it you have to RETURN it. Dancing around doesn't accomplish much. Give Bama some credit though, they played very well on coverage. Bottom line on the whole game: we made a ton of mistakes, major ones. They made a few, but no major ones. That's how you win big games.

IMissJack
11-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Get a punter that is not a liability in big games. Field position killed us in first half.

Dawgface
11-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Better punting, but don't know how to correct that with what we have.

JohnnyQuid
11-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Get a punter that is not a liability in big games. Field position killed us in first half.

I agree but for the majority of the season the punt game has been better than average. Today two guys sucked... nerves? dunno

msstate7
11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
I wonder if we told our punters to do something different bc jones is such a threat. It makes no sense that our punters have been so good then perform this bad

JohnnyQuid
11-15-2014, 09:40 PM
I wonder if we told our punters to do something different bc jones is such a threat. It makes no sense that our punters have been so good then perform this bad

Something diff = like punting away where it bounces and cant field. Not shanking it twice for 25 yards a pop.

IMissJack
11-15-2014, 09:41 PM
I agree but for the majority of the season the punt game has been better than average. Today two guys sucked... nerves? dunno

Bell has not had one clutch moment since arriving on campus.

JohnnyQuid
11-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Not really arguing that point just that he was servicable up til now, and didnt cooke come in and shank one too?

EdDawg
11-15-2014, 09:56 PM
I feel like our return guys have been told not to hit their top speed until they see a seam, it just doesn't make much sense if they haven't (nor does it if they have.) I just feel like if they weren't told that then they would have been pulled already.

Political Hack
11-15-2014, 09:56 PM

he's had a few huge punts that have flipped the field. he's a punter. can't be his fault...

Political Hack
11-15-2014, 09:57 PM
our special teams need work. field position tonight killed us.

State82
11-15-2014, 09:58 PM
The KO return unit is absolutely abysmal. You have to be fearless to be a successful return man. We have nobody with that mindset from what we've seen to this point.

thf24
11-15-2014, 09:59 PM

Wrong. The fingertip catch of the high snap and getting the (long) punt off against Arkansas is about as clutch as it gets as a punter. He wasn't on his game today, but he's been mostly great for us. Not so great in the place kicking department obviously, but he was a punter being made to kick field goals after all.

DanDority
11-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Special Teams did not help today that much is true. We really need to get a competent ST. coach next year.

MSUDawg4Life
11-15-2014, 10:01 PM
What I learned from the Bama game:

If we play a clean game, we can beat any team in the country. Even on their home field.

I'm not into criticizing individual players and coaches. Those guys put their hearts on the line today and just came up short. Let's learn from it and move on.

JohnnyQuid
11-15-2014, 10:06 PM
What I learned from the Bama game:

If we play a clean game, we can beat any team in the country. Even on their home field.

I'm not into criticizing individual players and coaches. Those guys put their hearts on the line today and just came up short. Let's learn from it and move on.

Im by far more frustrated by the offensive playcalling in the first half by our head coach than I could ever be by any of our guys out there working their ass off today.

archdog
11-15-2014, 10:26 PM

100% agree. 3 terrible punts in a row was the difference in the game. Hands down the biggest factor in the entire game.

Political Hack
11-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Im by far more frustrated by the offensive playcalling in the first half by our head coach than I could ever be by any of our guys out there working their ass off today.

JRob running the ball 4 times in the jest half is criminal.

CadaverDawg
11-15-2014, 10:34 PM

Well, we had to punish him bc of the safety....you know that was necessary.** Besides, we were able to get Holloway a few touches, so that was good.***

HoopsDawg
11-15-2014, 10:51 PM

But Holloway against UT martin...didn't you see that?**********

LC Dawg
11-15-2014, 11:05 PM
The best special teams coach in Mississippi State history is still close to the program. I know it's tricky from a coaching numbers point but I say get Jackie involved. The man got 11 guys from The Landing and turned them into a good kickoff team.

FlabLoser
11-15-2014, 11:17 PM
The 1st half is the story. J Rob with four 1st half touches. The players and the play caller were intimidated.

Take what the D gives. Why did we keep going back to QB draws when they covered that all day?

Dak was off. Throwing 5 yards OOB to a wide open guy in the endzone was crucial. So was Dan's play calling.

The refs screwed us. But we screwed ourselves too.

Bass Chaser
11-15-2014, 11:19 PM
WMD talked about this before... Punts we don't block the gunners worth a shit to even have a chance at a return. KOs you have to hit the crease full speed no ***** footin' around back there.

Percho
11-15-2014, 11:32 PM
I am watching the FSU game, Say what you will, they make plays. We did not make enough plays today.

Todd4State
11-15-2014, 11:43 PM
It shouldn't shock anyone that special teams is a big reason that we won't have a perfect season. What's sad is the special teams as a unit has actually IMPROVED. Not saying we're good- but I would say average at best. And that's maybe being generous.

I am baffled as to why Dan wants to fool around with special teams in the first place. Move Sallach to the office and then hire someone like James Shibest from Memphis to coach TE's and ST.