PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bonner from Clarion Ledger.......

Goat Holder
06-12-2013, 09:07 AM
While I like this guy's enthusiasm and he seems to be an upgrade over fat boy Marcello, he really needs to get his fact/grammar/wording correct. In his article today about Cohen, he says 2005 was Florida's first trip to the CWS, when it was their fifth. It was their first strip to the Finals. Then he says Kentucky won 7 of its 23 SEC games, when in reality they were 7-23, so 7 of 30 games. Then you have the title of the article the other day about the Super appearance being the first since 2011.

That's my nit-pick of the day.

maroonmania
06-12-2013, 09:19 AM
While I like this guy's enthusiasm and he seems to be an upgrade over fat boy Marcello, he really needs to get his fact/grammar/wording correct. In his article today about Cohen, he says 2005 was Florida's first trip to the CWS, when it was their fifth. It was their first strip to the Finals. Then he says Kentucky won 7 of its 23 SEC games, when in reality they were 7-23, so 7 of 30 games. Then you have the title of the article the other day about the Super appearance being the first since 2011.

So it was Florida's first time to play in the Finals NAKED!!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

SaltyDawg
06-12-2013, 09:23 AM

I'd be a little more careful with my grammar and wording if I was nit-picking someone's fact/grammar/wording.

Goat Holder
06-12-2013, 09:24 AM
F*ck that I don't care, this is a message board. That's a published article.

maroonmania
06-12-2013, 09:29 AM
F*ck that I don't care, this is a message board. That's a published article.

Mine was just a joke off a typo. I agree that a beat writer should do a little better research before publishing an article. I rarely read much CL stuff anymore but it has sounded like Bonner has been an improvement from what we've had lately. I was not a big fan of Marcello or Veazey though I actually liked Marcello better than Veazey.

dickiedawg
06-12-2013, 10:54 AM

Was it not our first trip to the Supers since 2011? I missed that article.

The Croom Diaries
06-12-2013, 11:23 AM
If you follow him on twitter, watch how many times he talks about pitch counts during the game. ___ pitcher has thrown ___ pitches. Here are the pitch counts to each batter this inning... This is the third 3-0 count of the game, etc. I never realized it until someone pointed it out to me and I had to unfollow. So, I guess I'm pointing it out to y'all now so you can suffer the same anguish, ha.

maroonmania
06-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Was it not our first trip to the Supers since 2011? I missed that article.

technically correct but also our first Super since 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 as well.

dickiedawg
06-12-2013, 12:08 PM
technically correct but also our first Super since 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 as well.

I think we went to the supers in 2011.

maroonmania
06-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I think we went to the supers in 2011.

Yes, you are correct, I was thinking first Super Regional win but obviously we were there against FL in 2011.

bgdog
06-12-2013, 05:57 PM
If you follow him on twitter, watch how many times he talks about pitch counts during the game. ___ pitcher has thrown ___ pitches. Here are the pitch counts to each batter this inning... This is the third 3-0 count of the game, etc. I never realized it until someone pointed it out to me and I had to unfollow. So, I guess I'm pointing it out to y'all now so you can suffer the same anguish, ha.

What's wrong with knowing the pitch count of pitchers and then individual at bats I really like having that information

FlabLoser
06-12-2013, 07:21 PM
I like Bonner's twitter feed. It is highly informative.

That dude is good. We would be lucky to keep him very long.

TrueMaroon
06-12-2013, 07:48 PM
What's wrong with knowing the pitch count of pitchers and then individual at bats I really like having that information

Me too. Id rather follow him than any of the other beat writers for sure.

The Croom Diaries
06-12-2013, 08:16 PM

I'm saying all he really tweets about is dumb stuff like pitch counts because he doesn't know much about baseball. If y'alls idea of getting info on twitter is from beat writers than you are following the wrong people.

bluelightstar
06-12-2013, 08:38 PM
I like Bonner's tweets. Think you're splitting hairs personally.

bgdog
06-12-2013, 09:59 PM
If y'alls idea of getting info on twitter is from beat writers than you are following the wrong people.

Why? Of course I follow the people that get paid to live tweet every at bat of a mississippi state baseball game. Are you telling me that there are random people that just live tweet every play of a baseball game they are sitting at?

SaltyDawg
06-13-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm saying all he really tweets about is dumb stuff like pitch counts because he doesn't know much about baseball. If y'alls idea of getting info on twitter is from beat writers than you are following the wrong people.

This statement doesn't make sense. Who do you follow that gives better play by play updates EVERY State game?

The Croom Diaries
06-13-2013, 01:14 PM
This statement doesn't make sense. Who do you follow that gives better play by play updates EVERY State game?

I was talking about information like good stats or more in-depth analysis rather than just tweeting what you see. If your sole access to the game is through twitter than I guess you need him, although I'd rather just follow the official MSU baseball account. But I'd assume if you're a MSU baseball fan you listen on the radio, app, go to the games or have HailStateTV. I'll check twitter between innings but I don't care to sift though endless tweets about how many balls a guy has thrown to Detz in the games, I'm more interested in in-depth stats or good opinion. But that's just me. I do not follow any beat writers other than Carskadon and that's only to get the news of the day. I am much more interested in what non-nerds have to say about sports.

SaltyDawg
06-13-2013, 01:29 PM
I agree. I'm either at the game or watching on HailState TV (CSS, or the opposing school's TV feed) for 90% of the games anyway so I don't need a play by play. It does get annoying with all of the redundant tweets, but it's good to be able to look up pitch counts and other info if the announcers have failed to mention it recently. My point is, he's doing his job and I don't mind it- neither do a lot of other people. You even said you didn't notice until someone pointed it out, so it's obviously not that bad.

The Croom Diaries
06-13-2013, 01:45 PM
I guess my point was when you see how often he tweets about pitch counts its like that's all you see. Kind of like you don't notice an annoying habit until someone points it out. I don't mind knowing how many pitches a guy has thrown, but this guy talks about it non stop. 5th 2-0 count of the day, 8th 1-0 count.

I'm sure he's great at his job, I just view beat writers as the enemy of MSU rather than helping. They never give info that I didn't already know unless its breaking but MSU will release something then, and I find interviews very boring to read or watch. They can do way more harm than good, i.e. Stevens/car/Redmond. If you want some good baseball info follow one of our guys at FWtCT, @robbiefaulk, he spends a lot of time digging into stats and tweets them out before, during, and after games. I guarantee you he spends more time researching interesting info than the beat writers who are just squirrels trying to get a nut.

Most don't agree with me, I know. I am the anti-beat writer of the MSU Internet.