PDA

View Full Version : Quick Postgame thoughts

CadaverDawg
11-15-2014, 07:28 PM
I'm really disappointed. I thought we came out tight as shit and like a deer in headlights offensively. The offensive gameplan was garbage for most of the day. That being said, we fought throug it and still had a chance, but our players didn't make championship plays when we needed them....theirs did.

Our defense played really well. That long pass to Cooper, and the two scrambles for 1st downs on 3rd down by Sims probably were the difference in the game.

It's over. No sense in crying over it. Just gotta bounce back and win our last 2, and pull for Auburn to beat Bama. We still have a shot. That last score could give us hope of making the playoff even if Bama wins out. Just gotta beat Vandy and OM and cross our fingers.... do what WE can do to get in the Championship, and hope we get the help needed.

I love the way this team fought in the second half. Love this team.

HailState

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2014, 07:30 PM
I will say Dan's play calling at the end cost us 40 seconds.

JohnnyQuid
11-15-2014, 07:34 PM
1st half playcalling, special teams in 1st half (2x <30 yrd punts), and daks INT in redzone in 2nd half. Was the playcalling great under 1 min in 2nd half? No. Would it made a huge deal end result seeing the onsides? Glad we made it look closer than it was and hope it helps with the voters. Egg Bowl looms large.

VandelayIndustries
11-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Agree with everything you said. How can explain the 1st half? Nerves? Scared?

CadaverDawg
11-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Agree with everything you said. How can explain the 1st half? Nerves? Scared?

Nerves. There was a lot on the line today, and we tightened up in the pressure. Mostly offense though. Defense came out strong. We had a few key drops, some pretty bad playcalls at crucial times, and Dak had a horrible first half. That Jameon drop was big IMO in the second half too. Where,was Gabe Myles? I'm not saying he should have played over Lewis, but I would have liked to at least see him play some on the screens. He is better at breaking tackles than Lewis, although Lewis is better over the middle finding spots in the zone. Lewis was big for us tonight outside of that drop.

VandelayIndustries
11-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Did Gabe Myles even get in today?

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Good post Cadaver.

I'll have some thoughts later, but we can beat Bama. We played our C game and still out gained them by almost 100 yards, while also losing the turnover battle 3-0.

I'm disappointed, but I think we can beat Bama, and did enough to stay on top 4. The two best teams in the country were on that field, but we were just unfortunate to have to play on the road. Disappointed but acceptable.

State82
11-15-2014, 08:01 PM
We played our C game and still out gained them by almost 100 yards, while also losing the turnover battle 3-0.

Yes we did, and that is what is most concerning. We have brought the "C" game for the past 4 games now. The edge is gone and if we couldn't get it back today the chances are slim of regaining it.

mstate68
11-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Yes we did, and that is what is most concerning. We have brought the "C" game for the past 4 games now. The edge is gone and if we couldn't get it back today the chances are slim of regaining it.
This is the only thing that gives me doubt about the egg bowl.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-15-2014, 08:09 PM
I couldn't tell if we were tight or just flat, but we played slow.

shoeless joe
11-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Folks can complain all day about gameplan and play calling, but we didn't execute what was called. I think Robinson shoulda got more touches but in reality if dak plays better we win. Missing Johnson on the sure TD at end of half was bad. We make that throw the false start doesn't matter. We are where we are because of dan, dak, and our D. One of those showed up to play tonite. The other two were off their game but we still had a shot in the 4th.

defiantdog
11-15-2014, 08:23 PM
I guess I was the only one at the game today. Yes, we made mistakes. But Bama played pretty damn perfect today. They stopped our running game and our receivers dropped a few key passes and slipped on a few routes. Give it to our guys..... Not too many teams go into Tuscaloosa and play them till the end.

shoeless joe
11-15-2014, 08:27 PM
I guess I was the only one at the game today. Yes, we made mistakes. But Bama played pretty damn perfect today. They stopped our running game and our receivers dropped a few key passes and slipped on a few routes. Give it to our guys..... Not too many teams go into Tuscaloosa and play them till the end.

This is a good point. Other than the penalty they had after the punt they played about a perfect game.

Sacrifice
11-15-2014, 08:29 PM
I thought our O-line got whipped tonight. They stuffed us all night in the middle. I didn't expect that.

DLGDawg
11-15-2014, 08:30 PM
That was our first time ever to play for what was on the line tonight....the biggest stage there is. I think it showed. With that said, we worked ourself back in the game. But give bama credit. The drive they had to have...they made it. If we win out we will be in the playoff.
Good post Cadaver.

I'll have some thoughts later, but we can beat Bama. We played our C game and still out gained them by almost 100 yards, while also losing the turnover battle 3-0.

I'm disappointed, but I think we can beat Bama, and did enough to stay on top 4. The two best teams in the country were on that field, but we were just unfortunate to have to play on the road. Disappointed but acceptable.

Chip
11-15-2014, 08:52 PM
1. We came out very tight. It's a product of not having big game experience.
2. We badly lost the field position battle in the first half. Poor punt returns, poor punts, poor kick off returns contributed.
3. We never got a turnover in the game, losing 3-0, including two in the red zone. The only one that we had an opportunity for was on the Henry TD. Sims took care of the football - which is what Saban stresses in his QB. Dak forced a couple that were both costly.
4. Critical penalty on the 1 yard line before the half. Can't do that.
5. The defense played well overall. The long pass to the fullback down the seam, the long pass to Cooper and the answering TD drive to stretch it to 25 notwithstanding.
6. The offense settled down late in the 2nd quarter and started executing their assignments.
7. Sobiesk did a good job. Everyone has worried about kicking the FG most of the year. It was the other parts of the kicking game that hurt, rather than Sobiesk.
8. Alabama has played with more determination and precision the last two weekends than they've played with all year. Have to give them credit for that.
9. We still have much to play for. We'll probably drop to 5 or 6 in the CFP poll. We have to put this behind us and win the next two. Anything can happen at 11-10. It's possible, though not probable, that we could still win the West with an Auburn win in the Iron bowl. Very often teams ahead of you in the polls lose, etc., as the season closes, allowing a team to move up into the play-off picture.