PDA

View Full Version : Just.... Just... Damn it.

Leroy Jenkins
11-14-2014, 06:20 PM
MSU segment on Sports Center. What do you think was featured???? James Meridith, dilapidated barns, rusty tractors and cotton fields.

FVCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Political Hack
11-14-2014, 06:23 PM
I think they got us confused with OM again. segment ended well, but no mention of the game of change... nothing.

MSUDeltadawg1971
11-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Why was James Meredith at our homecoming? I know for a fact that he was because he took a picture with Johnie Cooks and Johnie's brothers.

Political Hack
11-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Why was James Meredith at our homecoming? I know for a fact that he was because he took a picture with Johnie Cooks and Johnie's brothers.

he's very supportive of State. not so much of the school up north. asked to have his statue taken down.

MSUDeltadawg1971
11-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Gotcha, was surprised when I saw the picture and was wondering.

Dawgbite
11-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I screamed at the TV when they started with the Merideth stuff. Like it or not, we are connected to the plantation due to the sins of our grandfathers, or at least some of your grandfathers. Mine was a poor ass farmer trying to raise a family farming ground that ain't worth a crap.

BeardoMSU
11-14-2014, 07:15 PM
This is why what goes on at OM pisses me off. People outside of MS don't see the difference between our schools; they just see Mississippi. The sooner they drop all that shit the better for all of us.

godlluB
11-14-2014, 08:25 PM
I blame Wright Thompson.

Jack Lambert
11-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Why don't anyone talk about the basketball team that sneak out of the state to play a team with black kids. Oh yeah that goes aginst the norm sterotype they do about Mississippi.

KB21
11-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I screamed at the TV when they started with the Merideth stuff. Like it or not, we are connected to the plantation due to the sins of our grandfathers, or at least some of your grandfathers. Mine was a poor ass farmer trying to raise a family farming ground that ain't worth a crap.

Which the majority of the south was during that time, but the history books try to make it look like the South was nothing but a bunch of plantation owners working their slaves on the plantation.

Smitty
11-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Was there a corresponding video of George Wallace, Bull Connor, fire hoses, and German Shepards?

FlabLoser
11-14-2014, 10:16 PM
DVR, meet delete button. Glad I won't waste my time on it.

BTW - when, and for what, was Brian Hadad on ESPN today?

Pollodawg
11-14-2014, 10:38 PM
I blame Wright Thompson.

I still don't understand why he's the go-to for all things Mississippi with ESPN.

War Machine Dawg
11-14-2014, 11:03 PM
I still don't understand why he's the go-to for all things Mississippi with ESPN.

Probably because he's a MS native who hates MS. Northern TV execs eat that shit up, because it reinforces everything they think about the South in general and MS in particular.

Mutt the Hoople
11-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Ole Miss kSlaveowners bringing down Our State again.

Perpetual Underachiever
11-14-2014, 11:24 PM
I hate to say this, but we need to take a note out of OM's playbook and step up our PR/Media Relations. No, you cannot control every story or special that is run about the university, but they do a much better job of making their voice heard. If there was ever a time to really sell our university, and differentiate ourselves, it is now. Nothing against James Meridith, but I do not want him affiliated with my university. We have our own unique history and stories to tell and do not need the baggage that comes with his name. And F@CK Wright Thompson. There has to be at least one or two decent writers that graduated from State.

I could go on and on about this, but I won't. It is very simple, we are not Mississippi, we are Mississippi State, and we need to somehow make a conscious effort to educate the media on the difference. That is all.

drunkernhelldawg
11-14-2014, 11:25 PM

Don't know the particulars of that, but he goes around promoting some self-published materials. I wouldn't say he's an engaging speaker, but seeing him speak is a unique experience.

maroonmania
11-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Why don't anyone talk about the basketball team that sneak out of the state to play a team with black kids. Oh yeah that goes aginst the norm sterotype they do about Mississippi.

Yep, this subject should have been one of the first 30 for 30s that ESPN did but I guess it doesn't paint MS in the correct stereotype.

engie
11-14-2014, 11:37 PM
John Grisham is the only person to tell that story, and he's seemingly back in the fold. He will need a little time before he's able to accurately portray it though...

Perpetual Underachiever
11-15-2014, 12:01 AM
I do not know the history of his relationship with the university, other than it was not great for a while, possibly due to a kid playing baseball? This may be way off. Regardless, I am happy to hear he is "back in the fold." He could, and hopefully will be, such a valuable asset and ambassador for our university.

TheRef
11-15-2014, 12:18 AM
I do not know the history of his relationship with the university, other than it was not great for a while, possibly due to a kid playing baseball? This may be way off. Regardless, I am happy to hear he is "back in the fold." He could, and hopefully will be, such a valuable asset and ambassador for our university.

From what I've heard, Grisham was contacted to be our guest picker for CGD but declined. His reason? His son didn't make the baseball team. This is coming from someone with extensive contacts. Oh...and we were going to get Morgan Freeman but he backed out at the last second.

steeldawg
11-15-2014, 06:32 AM
From what I've heard, Grisham was contacted to be our guest picker for CGD but declined. His reason? His son didn't make the baseball team. This is coming from someone with extensive contacts. Oh...and we were going to get Morgan Freeman but he backed out at the last second.

Absolutely 100% the worst decision ever made by any of our sports teams. Over all the coaches, over everything stupid we've ever done... the Grisham saga is the absolute worst. John was EASILY our biggest baseball fan and was already in the door when he had the batting cage built under DNF... but we had to go piss him off, and instead, Virginia got at least some of his money.

On the video, I'm sick of hearing this same story from the 60's. The Holmes thing was kinda cool, but I'm highly peeved the Game of Change wasn't mentioned AT ALL. While OM was pushing Kennedy to send in the National Guard on them, we were sneaking out of town to go play basketball against an integrated team WITH FULL UNIVERSITY SUPPORT. Why not mention that AT ALL???? Fvck OM.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2014, 08:30 AM
I think it was more showing at MSU, Holmes integrated without any problems. I believe they missed out not talking about the Game of Change. All things considered I think it showed MSU in a good light.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2014, 08:53 AM
I think this guy may be who we are looking for
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/mississippi-state-is-playing-alabama-and-guess-which-team-is-no-1/2014/11/13/55d82b02-6860-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html?wpmk=MK0000203

Maroonthirteen
11-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Just saw it, Horrible reporting. If Missouri was #1 would ESPN do a story on all that is going on in Furgeson? Idiots grasping for a story that is 50 years old.

Also, to the people of ms, when a report comes around asking questions about shot that happened decades before you were born, ignore the question and go about your day. Look at how they edited Hadads comments. They have him saying, last in this and that...cut away. Gives the impression that is all he said but I'm sure it wasn't. Same for the police chief. 17 ESPN.

Mutt the Hoople
11-15-2014, 11:48 AM
I hate to say this, but we need to take a note out of OM's playbook and step up our PR/Media Relations. No, you cannot control every story or special that is run about the university, but they do a much better job of making their voice heard. If there was ever a time to really sell our university, and differentiate ourselves, it is now. Nothing against James Meridith, but I do not want him affiliated with my university. We have our own unique history and stories to tell and do not need the baggage that comes with his name. And F@CK Wright Thompson. There has to be at least one or two decent writers that graduated from State.

I could go on and on about this, but I won't. It is very simple, we are not Mississippi, we are Mississippi State, and we need to somehow make a conscious effort to educate the media on the difference. That is all.
I agree. The Mississippi State University was a haven of racial tolerance in a sea of Bigotry and Hatred. OUR basketball team snuck out of the State to play an integrated Loyola team, in spite of the Ole Miss-dominated legislature and Ole Miss-fan Governor Ross Barnett desperately trying to maintain their own Racial Inferiority because of the fear of interacting with people of another race.

Of course, if you were to talk to OM fans today, they'd convince you that they protected James Meredith from the Federal Marshalls and the 82nd Airborne who tried to keep him out.

LC Dawg
11-15-2014, 12:27 PM
I think this guy may be who we are looking for
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/mississippi-state-is-playing-alabama-and-guess-which-team-is-no-1/2014/11/13/55d82b02-6860-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html?wpmk=MK0000203

I missed that you had posted this and started a thread about the article. You're right, I'd love to see him do one of the ESPN or SEC network pieces on us.

Houston23
11-15-2014, 02:58 PM
I didn't like seeing this either. As a recent OM grad who grew up in Texas and now lives here I can say that the public perception of Mississippi isn't what it should be.

See you guys at the Egg Bowl...

ScoobaDawg
11-15-2014, 03:34 PM
I didn't like seeing this either. As a recent OM grad who grew up in Texas and now lives here I can say that the public perception of Mississippi isn't what it should be.

See you guys at the Egg Bowl...

and sorry but.. Goodbye..

He gone.