PDA

View Full Version : Do we see the diamond formation Saturday?

Tbonewannabe
11-14-2014, 01:31 PM
We really haven't had to dip into the bag of tricks yet because the offense has been so good.

whosyourdawgy
11-14-2014, 02:05 PM
2 throwbacks to Dak and a fake punt already. I hope we don't have to bring them out either. Whip their ass the old fashioned way

Political Hack
11-14-2014, 02:45 PM
I think we'll see little doses of 5-wide, 4 wide, slip screens, maybe a delay or two, and I fully expect us to roll the pocket some of 2nd and longs.

mstatefan91
11-14-2014, 02:53 PM
I doubt we see it more that a couple of times if at all. If we do it once or twice and have success with it then it may start getting thrown into each series, but I don't think we will run back to back to back plays out of it.

Coach34
11-14-2014, 02:54 PM
I hope not

i want to see about 25 plays out of the 5 wide set. 13 passes and 12 runs

Bubb Rubb
11-14-2014, 02:55 PM
We really haven't had to dip into the bag of tricks yet because the offense has been so good.

I don't understand the fascination with the diamond formation.

I don't expect you to see much of it. I think the plan will be to spread out the defense.

thf24
11-14-2014, 02:57 PM
The bad thing about diamond formation is that it works contrary to the aim of our offense, which is to spread the defense out. It's also more of a pistol set than a shotgun set, which might require a different blocking scheme (one of you experts correct me if I'm wrong). We might see it a few times to keep the defense off balance, which I believe we already have done a few times this year, but I highly doubt it will be a major component of our offense tomorrow.

blacklistedbully
11-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Not gonna happen, but can you imagine if we rolled out a Wingbone, circa '80-'81 Bellard? Talk about catching Bama completely by surprise. No way in hell they prepared for that.

Again, know it's laughable to mention, but the irony is, we could have actually prepped for running it ourselves the past 2 weeks, knowing we didn't have to worry about beating UTM.

If ever one could make Saban shit his britches, I bet we could if that happened. I imagine it woudl be damn near impossible to make adequate in-game adjustments defensively for that!

Offshore Dawg
11-14-2014, 03:26 PM
And you don't think bama has anybody spying on our practices, get real !!!!!!

blacklistedbully
11-14-2014, 03:33 PM
And you don't think bama has anybody spying on our practices, get real !!!!!!

Actually, I don't. Aren't our practices closed and closely guarded? As I said before, I realize it's laughable, and am not suggesting it;s what will happen or even should happen. Just saying if it did happen, Saban might shit-a-brick on national TV. And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we'd beat their ass if we were able to pull it off.

Defending a triple-option attack is a very difficult thing to do if you haven't had time to prep for it and haven't faced it in a long time.

archdog
11-14-2014, 03:49 PM
I think you add that wrinkle, but do it after the first down in the hurry up. Then once you run it 2 or 3 times and pick up a first down, slow it down so the can substitute their personnel and switch back to our standard offense. Just mix it up to give us personnel advantages.