PDA

View Full Version : Reminder for Ole Miss Fans

BeastMan
11-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Earlier in the year I saw a ton of post on the spirit, facebook, twitter, etc... about Ole Miss fans being angry about how everyone in MS, including MSU fans, should be rooting for them because both of us winning was good for the state and that is what should be important.

Fast forward to now. Is there a single Ole Miss fan that is rooting for MSU this weekend? The quick response is that they still have a prayer at the West if Bama wins. The problem with that is that Ole Miss and their sliver of a prayer to win the West isn't what's best for MS. What is best for MS is MSU getting in the national playoff. The exposure and positive press this state would get would be unprecedented.

Even more reason rooting for MSU would be better for the State and even Ole Miss fans is if MSU was to beat Bama and Vandy but then lose to OM, they would still likely make the playoff if MSU was to win the SECCG. So not only would Rebel fans be rooting for what's best for MS, you would be rooting for the chance to beat a possible national champion. That is a big deal because we all remember 2007.

This is the thing. I know none of you are going to root for MSU because I've seen the spirit, facebook, twitter, etc... That's fine and I have no problem with that. But when you go on and on like you did earlier this year about rooting for OM because it's best for the state and then follow that up with this week, you look hypocritical.

The funny thing is that I don't care if Ole Miss fans never root for State. That doesn't make me think less of you. It makes me think you're an honest person. This is also why you have never heard me say on any platform of social media or in person that I am rooting for Ole Miss. There is a strong distinction to be made that I am happy for my Rebel friends when Ole Miss is winning. I know how much fun I have in Starkville when the Dogs are doing well and I hope my Rebel friends to be able do the same. I don't dislike Ole Miss people and if you do have that type of a broad-brush outlook, I can only assume it reaches in to other groups of people and I can only assume the worst. Then again, some people live in bubbles. I don't. I live in the real world and know that your college football fandom doesn't determine what type of person you are in your personal life.

The moral to this post is not to root for MSU or Ole Miss because it's good for the state. Whenever you make up causes like that and then do the exact opposite of what you say, you don't look very intelligent. Root for who you want to root for. Root against MSU every week. I don't care. Just be a decent human being in real life and I don't care who you root for or against every week in a game.

Cheers.

#BeatBama
#GoBye

Political Hack
11-14-2014, 01:48 PM
OM fans being hypocritical? Get out of here!

Spot on. I'll never understand one fan base trying to explain to another fan base why they should reassess their allegiance.

godlluB
11-14-2014, 01:56 PM
So, you're saying that if I choose not to associate with Rebels, I must be racist?! Wow, the irony is thick.

BeastMan
11-14-2014, 01:58 PM
So, you're saying that if I choose not to associate with Rebels, I must be racist?! Wow, the irony is thick.

If you took the sentence you're referring to, to mean that... I don't know what to tell you. Good lord.

ETA- Groups of people means exactly what it says, groups of people. If you "don't like (OM fans, liberals, insurances adjusters, Indians, mechanics, rich people, etc...)", I'm going to assume you to (A) live in a bubble or (B) are ignorant. Broad-brushing any group of people is stupid. Don't you think it's stupid when someone says all MSU grads are rednecks? The fact that you jumped straight to racist is telling... And wth? That's not even what this post is about.

godlluB
11-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Well, you seem to be making exactly the same type of assumption that you propose to condemn. Again, ironic.

Political Hack
11-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Well, you seem to be making exactly the same type of assumption that you propose to condemn. Again, ironic.

to be fair I think his last paragraph pretty clearly avoids that conclusion.

engie
11-14-2014, 02:24 PM

Good. Lord.

JDog13
11-14-2014, 08:26 PM
http://cdn.madamenoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/You-People.jpg

Todd4State
11-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Ole Miss was the one spear heading the "it's good for Mississippi" campaign. That always seemed silly to me. That would be like me as a Cardinals fan pulling for the Kansas City Royals in the World Series and declaring that it's good for Missouri.

The reality is the whole "it's good for Mississippi" thing was a coping mechanism for MSU having success the whole time. And I know I said it the other day, but I'll say it again- here's how Ole Miss thinking works using the "let's pull for each other" stuff:

1. If they win the Egg Bowl- "you should be happy that we are representing Mississippi. If the shoe were on the other foot, the vast majority of Ole Miss fans would pull for you except for a couple of people on the Spirit."

2. If they lose the Egg Bowl- "We wouldn't have rubbed it in like you are. That's why we are the classier program. Remember when we pulled for you?"

Both said with a condescending tone.