PDA

View Full Version : BYU football rumor

Todd4State
11-13-2014, 11:55 PM
I haven't seen it mentioned here, but is it true that we are going to play BYU as our mandatory Big 5 opponent with the understanding that the SEC will grant us a waiver to play them in 2016-2017?

War Machine Dawg
11-13-2014, 11:59 PM
If we ever play them aGAIN, everyone in any position of power on campus should be fired on the spot. **** BYU and **** any idea of playing them. We shouldn't give those asshats one cent to play us after the 2001 game.

messageboardsuperhero
11-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Would be fine by me, as long as we don't let them supply the refs this time around.

And let's be real- BYU is consistently better than tons of Power 5 teams. It's not like we'd be cheating or anything.

SDDawg
11-14-2014, 12:06 AM
I guess I don't see why it would be bad. I love the idea of going to Provo to watch State play and it's a well known opponent that fields competitive football teams.

ShotgunDawg
11-14-2014, 12:13 AM
BYU is a great team to play because we would probably win, but, due to how weak their schedule is, they will have a good record to make us look good.

Todd4State
11-14-2014, 12:24 AM
If we ever play them aGAIN, everyone in any position of power on campus should be fired on the spot. **** BYU and **** any idea of playing them. We shouldn't give those asshats one cent to play us after the 2001 game.

I feel the same way you do. Honestly, that was the only time in my life I ever somewhat considered running on the field and going after the officials. And by somewhat- we're talking 5% chance.

I'm surprised that there is even a rumor about us playing them again. The only thing I can think of is we just kind find anyone else.

Todd4State
11-14-2014, 12:26 AM
Would be fine by me, as long as we don't let them supply the refs this time around.

And let's be real- BYU is consistently better than tons of Power 5 teams. It's not like we'd be cheating or anything.

Well, technically they aren't in the Mountain West anymore- so they have that going for them. I bet the refs that do their games are probably appointed by the Morman Church though.

War Machine Dawg
11-14-2014, 01:18 AM
I feel the same way you do. Honestly, that was the only time in my life I ever somewhat considered running on the field and going after the officials. And by somewhat- we're talking 5% chance.

I'm surprised that there is even a rumor about us playing them again. The only thing I can think of is we just can't find anyone else.

And that is one of many reasons the rule is ridiculous. There's almost no lead time to work out the scheduling. Even with SECN money, we're going to have to pay more to get a Power 5 team scheduled quickly enough. Screw the media (and Saban) if they don't like SEC teams playing 4 cupcakes in OOC play. There is literally no reason to play a tough OOC game with the SEC being the gauntlet it is - strength of schedule is just fine, especially for West teams. Hell, you NEED those 4 cupcake games just to give yourself a bit of physical rest during the season. We better schedule schools like Kansas who are an abortion of a program, not Oregon. The fact we're already talking about getting KSU on the schedule pisses me off. Find the bottom feeders, dammit.

dawgoneyall
11-14-2014, 07:37 AM
And God took care of them the next week.

FISHDAWG
11-14-2014, 08:51 AM
I haven't seen it mentioned here, but is it true that we are going to play BYU as our mandatory Big 5 opponent with the understanding that the SEC will grant us a waiver to play them in 2016-2017?

I thought we were trying to schedule Kansas State for 16 & 17 ....... seems like I read that on this very board (could have been the other board though)

Statefan
11-14-2014, 08:55 AM
BYU and Mizzou just signed a deal for 2015 (if that's relevant)

Jack Lambert
11-14-2014, 09:07 AM
BYU and Mizzou just signed a deal for 2015 (if that's relevant)

That's funny since it was legal to kill Mormons in the state of Missouri until the 1970's. Plus there are 1000k of acres of land in Missouri that Mormons own and 1000k more they have the deeds to but the land was stolen from them.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/11/13/the-mormon-war-in-missouri/

http://bycommonconsent.com/2009/03/29/a-land-war-in-missouri/

Ifyouonlyknew
11-14-2014, 09:12 AM
The Missouri/BYU deal is 2015 in Kansas City & 2020 in Provo. We have our Power 5 match ups through 2023 except for 2016 & 17.

Miss. Stake
11-14-2014, 09:23 AM
BYU is a great team to play because we would probably win, but, due to how weak their schedule is, they will have a good record to make us look good.

BYU 2016 Schedule

Arizona Wildcats

at Utah Utes

UCLA Bruins

West Virginia Mountaineers

TBA --- ---

UMass Minutemen

Boise State Broncos

TBA --- ---

TBA --- ---

TBA --- ---

at Cincinnati Bearcats

Southern Miss Golden Eagles

Utah State Aggies

That's not that bad of a schedule. They still have 3 more opponents they need to schedule

SDDawg
11-14-2014, 09:30 AM
We are not a good Power 5 matchup for most programs, they want a guaranteed Win that builds their resume or a big revenue generating game, not a beat down from an SEC upstart that lacks the name recognition of the biggest programs. Hopefully that will change as we have more success, but I think that's the reality today.

Related question: any early word on what kind of money is changing hands in the other SEC/Power 5 matchups?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-14-2014, 09:39 AM
I thought we were trying to schedule Kansas State for 16 & 17 ....... seems like I read that on this very board (could have been the other board though)

Kansas St 2018 & 19
NC St 2020 & 21
Arizona 2022 & 23

Political Hack
11-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Please don't be true. I really, really dislike them. I would much rather play Miami, North Carolina, Boston College, Rutgers, Iowa, etc...

Just grab a crappy ACC or BigTen school, pound them into submission, and then play the gauntlet that is the SEC West. So damn dumb... soon the SEC will be shceduling all 12 of our games for us. A playoff team in the SEC (assuming SECCG too) from this point forward already has 12 of it's 15 games pre-arranged by conference agreements. I realize it has to be that way with the TV contracts, but they've got to give these kids a break at some point. They aren't professionals and forcing them to play 12-15big time games a year is a bit much IMO.

RAYn_Man
11-14-2014, 12:45 PM
What were some calls in that BYU game that were questionable? I want to go back and look for them.

Offshore Dawg
11-14-2014, 03:13 PM
What were some calls in that BYU game that were questionable? I want to go back and look for them.

The BYU OL held on every play. The Kang was livid on the side line about it.

War Machine Dawg
11-14-2014, 03:57 PM
The BYU OL held on every play. The Kang was livid on the side line about it.

Let's not forget the BYU OL who literally threw a punch at Connor Stephens. Not only did he stay in the game, he wasn't even flagged. I thought The Kang was going to have an aneurysm on that one.