PDA

View Full Version : How MSU can lose to Bama and still make the playoffs

starkvegasdawg
11-13-2014, 02:34 PM
This article was an ESPN insider article so I could only see the preview but even that had a lot of info. I have pasted it below. If anyone has a login and wants to paste the whole article then feel free.

The Big Ten, Big 12 and possibly even the Pac-12 should be rooting for Mississippi State to win this Saturday in Tuscaloosa.
No, this is not because Alabama has won three of the last five national championships, or because the Tide are projected to be a "tough out" if they were to make the playoff.
It's because if Alabama defeats Mississippi State, the likelihood of the SEC getting two teams into the playoff will rise significantly.
Allow me to explain.
There are those who believe a loss this weekend will keep Mississippi State out. However, even with a loss, the Bulldogs will have a strong argument for inclusion. Conversely, a loss by Alabama will all but end their playoff hopes, and the conference's hopes of getting two teams into the inaugural playoff.
Below are three reasons it will be tough to keep Mississippi State out of the playoff, even if the Bulldogs fall this weekend in Tuscaloosa. Keep in mind, these arguments are based on two conditions.
First, the Bulldogs must keep the game close. Second, Mississippi State must win its final two games and finish 11-1, even if it does not compete in the SEC championship game. These are big ifs, but if Mississippi State can accomplish them, it will have a resume worthy of a playoff spot -- despite a loss to the Crimson Tide

dawgs
11-13-2014, 04:22 PM
We'll be 4-1 against ranked teams, more games and wins against ranked teams than our fellow 1 L competitors. We'll also have the best L than any other 1 L team.

mparkerfd20
11-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Great, another reason to give the SEC Refs & Commissioner's Office a reason to pull unfairly for Bama.

Statefan
11-13-2014, 05:02 PM
I do think we make it at 11-1 but who do we push out? TCU/Baylor?

dawgs
11-13-2014, 06:44 PM
I do think we make it at 11-1 but who do we push out? TCU/Baylor?

Yep. Or f$u when they lose to Miami.

LC Dawg
11-13-2014, 06:59 PM
The committee has already said that head to head is trumped by overall body of work in the TCU/Baylor situation so it would be interesting to see what they do with us and Bama both with one loss. How would a loss to Ole Miss compare to a loss to Bama?
Doesn't matter though because we ain't losing.

Dallas_Dawg
11-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Mods, please lock this thread. Let's not be pussies in the biggest week of the history of football in the state.

TUSK
11-13-2014, 08:28 PM
http://jdayhistory.weebly.com/uploads/8/9/5/0/8950306/2532322_orig.jpg