PDA

View Full Version : Special teams stats

chef dixon
11-12-2014, 11:36 PM
This is an incredible statistic, but if you take out Holmes TD on the onside kick v Kentucky, our longest conventional kick return this season is a pitiful 29 yards (an average of less than 20y/return without Holmes TD as well). Our longest punt return is 21 yards (an outlier), and we average 3.7 per return. I know we all knew we sucked in this department, but damn. Pretty telling of how well our offense has performed this season without much help in that department. I think a big return of any kind, 40+ yards or so, could come up huge for us this weekend. Surely we are due.

Also wanted to note that we are actually 6/9 on FG with Sobiesk 6/7. I know he hasn't had any long kicks but at least he's knocked down the ones he should. Can't say we are worse than I thought we would be in FG kicking at least. Punting wise, Bell and Cooke have been excellent - 13 of Bell's 34 punts have been inside the 20 and he's averaging 44 a boot.

msstate7
11-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Hopefully Donald gray will solve our return problems next season

Todd4State
11-12-2014, 11:45 PM
IMO we are average at special teams. Which to me, is an upgrade.

I am OK with a low return average as long as we don't turn the ball over at a minimum.

Sobiesk has improved over last year and I'm OK with the field goal kicking even though we have a short range. At least we know his limitations and he makes them when given an opportunity.

The punting has been good and the KO have been good. We've covered kicks fairly well also so far.

CadaverDawg
11-12-2014, 11:46 PM
Hopefully Donald gray will solve our return problems next season

Doubt it. We don't have a talent issue on returns....we have a special teams coaching issue. Anybody that puts RoJo and holloway back there and then allows either of them to tip toe and run East/West instead of just getting North/South at max speed, is an incompetant special teams coach. Mullen is great, but there are always things we can improve....and special teams is that thing.

Todd4State
11-12-2014, 11:56 PM
Doubt it. We don't have a talent issue on returns....we have a special teams coaching issue. Anybody that puts RoJo and holloway back there and then allows either of them to tip toe and run East/West instead of just getting North/South at max speed, is an incompetant special teams coach. Mullen is great, but there are always things we can improve....and special teams is that thing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again- Holloway is a track guy playing football. He is getting better and becoming more of a football player though.

Perpetual Underachiever
11-13-2014, 12:39 AM
... I think a big return of any kind, 40+ yards or so, could come up huge for us this weekend. Surely we are due...

This would be HUGE... but will not happen. I will consider it a victory for our special teams if we do not have any muffed kicks or turnovers, and Sobiesk makes any attempts under 35 yds. Is that asking to much?***

Todd4State
11-13-2014, 12:48 AM
This would be HUGE... but will not happen. I will consider it a victory for our special teams if we do not have any muffed kicks or turnovers, and Sobiesk makes any attempts under 35 yds. Is that asking to much?***

Under Jackie Sherrill, we asked our QB to not lose the game and expected the special teams to win it.

Under Dan, we ask the special teams to not lose the game and expect the QB to win it.

DancingRabbit
11-13-2014, 01:26 AM
JRob would be badass returning kickoffs but I'm sure we don't want to risk an injury.

He's got incredible vision, sees a crease as well just about any back I've followed. And of course his ability to break tackles.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2014, 01:56 AM
Gabe Myles, Gabe Myles, Gabe Myles, Gabe Myles, Gabe Myles, Gabe Myles, Gabe Myles

mstatefan91
11-13-2014, 02:14 AM
If we could learn how to actually block on returns then we'd be doing better. Our blocking is pitiful and needs some real coaching.