PDA

View Full Version : Seems to me the Committee is setting itself up for a dilemma...

AlmostPositive
11-12-2014, 10:16 PM
If MSU loses a highly competitive game with Alabama, I suppose they'll be tempted to squeeze us out, even though they didn't do the same when Ole Miss lost to LSU.

If we are left out in favor of a team with fewer good wins and a worse loss -- which will be any team at all other than FSU -- they're going to have some explaining to do.

Maybe they're counting on us to win Saturday...:o:o

Jack Lambert
11-13-2014, 08:59 AM
It seems to me that the first two weeks they did their own thing and really looking for the 4 best teams but this week they made a 190 degee turn from that line of thinking. I just wondered has out side pressure gotten to them?

BulldogBear
11-13-2014, 09:16 AM
I think TCU is the one that could really be left in the cold. If Baylor wins out, there is no way you can put TCU in ahead of them.

RossDawg82
11-13-2014, 09:19 AM
I think they are waiting for us to lose so they can push us out. Nobody outside State fans wants MSU to win. If we lose a competitive game Saturday, I can see us dropping to 6 or 7 just because of our name.

AlmostPositive
11-13-2014, 09:20 AM
I think what we are going to find out is that a 4-team playoff will not work. They'll likely go to 8 before long. Chck out the history of the NCAA basketball tournament... they started at 8 and upped the count over a dozen times to get to 68.

engie
11-13-2014, 09:27 AM
8 is the correct number... always has been. 5 conference champs, 3 at-larges, while forcing the Big12 to have a title game(making the actual number of playoff teams 11-13 most years in technical terms considering the title game winner is guaranteed a spot)...

4 is going to cause us to revisit a bunch of things, not the least of which is even having a conference championship game.

Jack Lambert
11-13-2014, 09:29 AM
8 is the correct number... always has been. 5 conference champs, 3 at-larges, while forcing the Big12 to have a title game(making the actual number of playoff teams 11-13 most years in technical terms considering the title game winner is guaranteed a spot)...

4 is going to cause us to revisit a bunch of things, not the least of which is even having a conference championship game.

I think they should have continued to use the BCS formula and take the top 8 out of that for the playoffs.

Dawgheadcheese
11-13-2014, 09:34 AM
I think they are waiting for us to lose so they can push us out. Nobody outside State fans wants MSU to win. If we lose a competitive game Saturday, I can see us dropping to 6 or 7 just because of our name.

Are you out of your mind. We have gotten all of the national respect we could ever image in our wildest dreams. Every major sports outlet has given MSU their deserved respect over the past 5 or 6 weeks. And I can assure you that the majority of "out of state" fans are pulling for MSU to finally knock Alabama out of the running this weekend - no doubt about it. I will also predict this - I we lose Saturday, MSU will still be in the top 4 due to our strength of schedule and quality wins - better resume' than any of the other one loss teams currently out there. So please, enough with this inferiority BS. If this year has proven nothing else, it has proven that MSU will get the respect if we earn the respect. That's it.

MadDawg
11-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Are you out of your mind. We have gotten all of the national respect we could ever image in our wildest dreams. Every major sports outlet has given MSU their deserved respect over the past 5 or 6 weeks. And I can assure you that the majority of "out of state" fans are pulling for MSU to finally knock Alabama out of the running this weekend - no doubt about it. I will also predict this - I we lose Saturday, MSU will still be in the top 4 due to our strength of schedule and quality wins - better resume' than any of the other one loss teams currently out there. So please, enough with this inferiority BS. If this year has proven nothing else, it has proven that MSU will get the respect if we earn the respect. That's it.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm and confidence that MSU will get fair treatment by the committee. I'm more in line with RossDawg82.

Martianlander
11-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Yes, they will go to eight soon. I still maintain this committee was set up so no more than one SEC team gets in the four team playoff. We just need to win out.

engie
11-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Yes, they will go to eight soon. I still maintain this committee was set up so no more than one SEC team gets in the four team playoff. We just need to win out.

No it wasn't.

dawgs
11-13-2014, 09:59 AM

Agree wholeheartedly with you. Long has stated that it hasn't even been close between us and #2 yet. So long as we don't get blown out, I'd say us being 4 is likely.

That being said, win the damn game and don't take our chances with the committee.

Johnson85
11-13-2014, 10:02 AM
No it wasn't.

That may not have been what the committee was set up for, but it looks exactly like what you would do if you wanted to put the strongest conference at a a disadvantage. Using the BCS formula, there's no way an 11-1 MSU team would finish outside of the top 4. Right now, if Bama wins out and we win out except for Bama, there is no doubt that we will have earned a spot in the playoff but we will likely need help to get there. At that point, it will be FSU, Bama, Oregon, and probably the Big 12 winner. And it's going to be like that most years. There will occasionally be years where there is enough attrition in other major conferences that two SEC teams can get in. But most of the time, a SEC team will get leapfrogged by a conference champion with the same record against much weaker competition.

Johnson85
11-13-2014, 10:04 AM
I think what we are going to find out is that a 4-team playoff will not work. They'll likely go to 8 before long. Chck out the history of the NCAA basketball tournament... they started at 8 and upped the count over a dozen times to get to 68.

A 4 team playoff will work fine. They just either have to use a BCS type system instead of a selection committee or they will need to openly state that it's not about putting the best four teams in the playoff, but about putting the best four conference champions (or ND or BYU if they are better) in the playoffs.

RossDawg82
11-13-2014, 10:07 AM
No, Im well within my mind. All anyone is talking about is how our OOC is weak. All they say is that the only reason we are #1 is because we are unbeaten. I think in order for us to make it to the playoffs is to remain unbeaten. If we put it in the hands of this committee who has already shown they are way over their heads, they will knock us out and try their best to make it a Non-SEC playoffs.

sandwolf
11-13-2014, 10:20 AM
No, Im well within my mind. All anyone is talking about is how our OOC is weak. All they say is that the only reason we are #1 is because we are unbeaten.

If you think that this is all anyone has been talking about with us, then you clearly have not been paying very much attention.