PDA

View Full Version : former dog safety Tim Nelson

Pokerdawg44
11-12-2014, 07:42 PM
One of my favorite bulldawgs. His daughter Jazzmun Holmes-Nelson signed with our lady bulldogs today. It was between Msu and Florida. I love keeping it in the family.

"I liked the environment and the coaches and the teammates," said Holmes, who averaged 18.4 points, 3.5 assists, 6.0 rebounds, and 3.4 steals per game last season. "I liked how they made me feel part of the team. We had a lot of laughs and there were a lot of similarities."*

Holmes, whose given name is Jazzmun, credited freshman Kayla Nevitt for making her laugh the most and helping her feel like she was part of the family. It also helped that Holmes was able to play a pickup game with her teammates. She said she played the point guard and was paired with freshman guard Blair Schaefer in a couple of victories.*

Dan Olson, of Dan Olson's Collegiate Girls Basketball Report and espnW's HoopGurlz, doesn't have Holmes ranked in his top 300 players in this year's senior class. Still, the longtime recruiting analyst says Holmes is an "athletic lead guard who flourishes in up-tempo styles of play." He said Holmes can penetrate, is "smooth off the bounce," and can create with a solid crossover dribble. He also said she is a 3-point threat with good court awareness.*

Holmes describes herself as a "fast" player who is a finisher and a good distributor with a good mid-range game. *

Shayla Holmes-Nelson, Jazz's mother who also coaches her with the Amateur Athletic Union Mississippi Ballers, said Jazz is a "game-changer" on both ends of the floor.*

"She likes to get everybody involved on offense," said Holmes-Nelson, who has coached Jazz every year in AAU since 2006, when she started with the Ballers. "She will get everybody involved because she likes to see everybody score. She likes to give assists. She likes to do everything."*

Holmes-Nelson said her daughter's love for the game at an early age. She said Jazz started to play basketball in the city of Gulfport when she was 5 years old. Holmes-Nelson said league officials told her they needed coaches to volunteer for the league, which made it easier for her to coach her daughter against girls that were two years older than she was. Despite the age difference, Holmes-Nelson said Jazz enjoyed the amount of activity involved in basketball and picked up the skills quickly.*

"She has been the point guard on every team she has played on," Holmes-Nelson said. "She thinks she is a post player. She likes the fact that she can get down there and try different moves. She likes the fact that she can get down and bump with people and do a turnaround move and get around them. It is almost like a challenge for her to do that."*

Jazz understands she will face a similar challenge when she arrives at MSU. She said she wants to work on her communication skills so she will be a more vocal leader. She said she will continue to hone her skills as a passer and as a finisher so she can help Schaefer and his staff keep building the program into a national contender.*

"When I went on the official visit I thought it was going to be something totally different," Holmes said of her official visit. "I thought it was in the middle of nowhere and I thought I was going to be kind of bored, but they made me feel like part of the family." *

Read more:*http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=36726#ixzz3Iu87jwwA

coastdoglover
11-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Jazz plays for Harrison Central and her mom and grandparents live on the coast as well. she is the real deal.

Political Hack
11-12-2014, 08:03 PM
I have a feeling the last dawgs are going to be pretty good pretty quickly under the current coach.

Homedawg
11-12-2014, 08:52 PM
I have a feeling the last dawgs are going to be pretty good pretty quickly under the current coach.
He is the real deal for sure.

Mutt the Hoople
11-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks for making me feel REAL old.