PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms, uniforms, uniforms (long)...

bulldawg989
11-12-2014, 05:57 PM
So at least once a week there is a uniform thread whereby ?Adidas sucks? invariably gets thrown up. I don?t think the majority of the ?Adidas sucks? crowd understands how college apparel contracts actually work, it extends beyond the uniform that is worn for a game. It is spread across all sports, men?s & women?s including apparel worn for practice, training and as a representation of the university, i.e., ?brand?.

The ?Adidas sucks? crowd is quick to claim Nike or Under Armor are better alternatives. I have a good friend who used to work for Adidas and now works for Under Armor on the high school level who also happens to be a UT grad. UT will be switching from Adidas to Nike next year, UT has been with Adidas for a while and has been one of the ?premier brands? for Adidas, obviously their recent decline in football and basketball (post Pearl and to an extent post Summitt) has seen that brand somewhat diminished. The reality of the switch, based on what I was told is that while the football program will get a boost from the Nike deal (a mix of uniforms, practice & game and apparel), the rest of the programs including basketball, baseball & softball are taking a hit and getting less than they had with Adidas. In short they are a mid-tier Nike client, not bigger than Bama, LSU, Florida, or Georgia. Throw in Kentucky (much bigger on the basketball side), Missouri, Ole Miss & Vandy and based on the sport UT is at that level.

MSU is rising fast across all sports, men?s basketball notwithstanding, and Adidas has taken notice. I agree there are similarities between State and A&M, with the color palettes being so similar it is hard not to share similarities. The overall theme of the uniforms for all schools is similar from year to year, Nike included ? they don?t vary much from team to team with Oregon being an outlier for obvious reasons. The Nike basketball uniforms for the upper-tier teams (UK, Duke, UNC, Michigan State, UF) are all very similar with minor school-specific tweaks.

I would much rather MSU be a top-tier Adidas school than a mid-tier Nike school, just within the SEC if you don?t think Bama, LSU, UF and UGA would get more Nike love than MSU you?re dreaming, there?s history they draw from. MSU is making its history now and Adidas is on board and giving us a lot and I daresay if our improvement continues in football and baseball alone we?ll see those contracts get better and better. Just look at the equipment Adidas has given the baseball team, bats, gloves, cleats ? it is a very good deal that Nike couldn?t match.

I?m not saying all of Adidas uniforms are awesome, they?re not but the coaches have a lot of input into them. The players like alternate uniforms, they get excited about them ? like it or not players get younger and fans get older and it?s part of the ever-changing landscape of college sports. So far, I think Adidas has been receptive to trying to distinguish State from other schools and programs ? they are forging a new identity for each other.

I?m sure this debate will rage on but the whole ?Adidas sucks? commentary is getting old.

godlluB
11-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Good read. Adidas sucks.

gtowndawg
11-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Do I like every single thing they have done? No. But I think they treat us very, very well. Taking out a full page ESPN ad for us speaks volumes. I'm happy to partner with them.

I seen it dawg
11-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Good post

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Where did you copy and paste that from?

EAVdog
11-12-2014, 06:20 PM
The only thing I'd like more from Adidas is some more cash on our deal. Don't have a problem with anything else really.

They've shown us a lot of love and frankly we've played well in their gear.

bulldawg989
11-12-2014, 06:41 PM

i had it in word on my pc, been wrestling with the whole uniform thing for a while and had just cleaned it up and pasted it. i did not anticipate the formatting changing, sorry it makes it harder to read.

DanDority
11-12-2014, 06:42 PM

Also, How much does the young crowd give to the University? Just out of curiosity.

Coach34
11-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Also, How much does the young crowd give to the University? Just wondering.

Yeahhhhh, the younger crowd does seem to forget this part of the equation. I know I did when I was 20-something

Dawgowar
11-12-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm older, traditionalist, but when these designs work I enjoy them. Some do look stupid but as long as I never hear "Adidas Double-Knit Polyester Leisure Suit Uniforms' I can be pretty tolerant in the grand scheme of things. Now, the rest of you meddling kids, get off my damn lawn!

HoopsDawg
11-12-2014, 06:51 PM
The football uniforms need to be awesome. If you have great football uniforms then people will be relatively happy with the company. Our standard uni's suck. I'm sorry, they just do. No one likes the stripe on the shoulder and no one likes the stripe on the helmet. The random M-State on our alternates look like crap as well.

Mullen shouldn't have any input on the design. Croom had input on the Russell design and you saw what happened. Mullen doesn't have great style. He loves the maroon pants. Maroon is a great color but you don't want too much maroon.

I would love to see our Uniforms modeled after Ohio State pattern. They have great uni's. Very sleek, simple and would look really good with our colors. Thin vertical lines on the pants, horizontal stripes on the shoulders. Use Maroon, White and Silver and they would look really sharp. U could even do Dawg Prints instead of buckeyes on the helmets if you wish.

Coach34
11-12-2014, 07:01 PM
I dont give a shit what the jerseys and pants look like- dont **** with the helmet. We are a maroon helmet school. End of story

HoopsDawg
11-12-2014, 07:09 PM
I dont give a shit what the jerseys and pants look like- dont **** with the helmet. We are a maroon helmet school. End of story

I agree, the helmet should never change bc it let's people know who we are when the turn on our game. Your avatar pisses me off bc that is a damn good looking helmet that 90% of the fan base prefers.

Coach34
11-12-2014, 07:14 PM
I agree, the helmet should never change bc it let's people know who we are when the turn on our game. Your avatar pisses me off bc that is a damn good looking helmet that 90% of the fan base prefers.

yep- we should be wearing my avatar every Saturday. Either buy it from Nike or design one similar and say **** you Nike

I've got one of those helmets sitting on my desk here at home. My prized possession

codeDawg
11-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Also, How much does the young crowd give to the University? Just out of curiosity.

Do you mean over their lifetime as a fan, as an enhancement of a brand for advertisers to market to, or as athletes on the field?

godlluB
11-12-2014, 08:56 PM

...and the other 10% are wrong.

DanDority
11-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Do you mean over their lifetime as a fan, as an enhancement of a brand for advertisers to market to, or as athletes on the field?

I knew this would be coming, yes I am aware as student athletes they are giving a lot to the University. However, as someone who ponies up for more than I care to reveal on a message board. I feel like the players should be wearing something I think not only looks good but what are our traditional schemes and colors. Now as someone else said. Get off my lawn!

Churchill
11-12-2014, 09:29 PM
If the players get so excited about "alternate" uniforms why have we played like shiat most of the times we`ve worn them ? Dressing like a clown to attract attention to yourself will not hold anyone`s attention long. Winning is what does that....long story short we`ve done more for Adidas than they have us and we did it in old style unis....not some of the silly looking garbage like they`ve come up with in the past.

bluelightstar
11-12-2014, 09:49 PM
If the players get so excited about "alternate" uniforms why have we played like shiat most of the times we`ve worn them ? Dressing like a clown to attract attention to yourself will not hold anyone`s attention long. Winning is what does that....long story short we`ve done more for Adidas than they have us and we did it in old style unis....not some of the silly looking garbage like they`ve come up with in the past.

Because we played teams better than us and no freaking uniform is going to change that.

It's why I laugh at the "curse of the black jerseys." We pull the damn things out when we played big-name teams; of course we lost. (And we won playing a LA Tech team that turned out to be pretty damn good.)

Barking 13
11-12-2014, 10:00 PM
another piece of the puzzle that has been overlooked is the "officially licensed" gear that all us regular folks buy and wear, as well as the warm ups, etc. for the teams. A lot of that stuff is pretty cool.

personally, I love the C34 helmet myself, but if they came out in maroon and white zebra stripes and still kick everybody's ass like they have this year, so be it...

dawgpound
11-13-2014, 10:27 AM
I understand your point but the problem is that Adidas uniforms are terrible compared to the look of Nike

DudyDawg
11-13-2014, 10:57 AM
long story short we`ve done more for Adidas than they have us .

http://www.adidas.com/us/

I would say putting us on their homepage is doing quite a bit for us

Amadden0408
11-13-2014, 11:14 AM
another piece of the puzzle that has been overlooked is the "officially licensed" gear that all us regular folks buy and wear, as well as the warm ups, etc. for the teams. A lot of that stuff is pretty cool.

I don't think Adidas fan gear comes remotely close to Nike. They have a lot of work to do in that area.

drunkernhelldawg
11-13-2014, 11:26 AM
I'm fine with special uniforms once or twice a season. I'm glad the players have some fun and get a few trinkets. I just don't like us to look like anything other than Mississippi State. I like the Egg Bowl unis this season because the embellishment is low key and the colors are our colors. Our worst ever special unis were the silver space cadet things we wore to get blown out by tAMU a few seasons ago. The guy who came up with that needs to just keep it to himself.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2014, 11:45 AM
yep- we should be wearing my avatar every Saturday. Either buy it from Nike or design one similar and say **** you Nike

I've got one of those helmets sitting on my desk here at home. My prized possession

Well when we win the title and Dak wins the Heisman, the M State helmet will be what people nationwide recognize.

Perpetual Underachiever
11-13-2014, 11:51 AM
http://www.adidas.com/us/

I would say putting us on their homepage is doing quite a bit for us

Did you actually click on the "hail state" collection link? I'm not sure that I would classify 1 hoodie, 1 golf-shirt, and 2 hats as a collection. Upon further research, there are 5 more hideous t-shirts and a Dak egg bowl jersey. Adidas has got to step up their gear for fans. Would it be to much to ask for a couple of basic golf & tee shirts that do not have stripes, patterns, graffiti, holograms, gold-leaf, etc?