PDA

View Full Version : To the bear lurkers that we all know are here...will Mullen bolt MSU?

starkvegasdawg
11-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Just saw an interview he did with Seth Davis where he flat out asked him if a big name school calls then he has to at least take the call. Mullen replied back (and I'm paraphrasing)...

I have a great administation in Dr. Keenum and Scott Stricklin that supports me and what I'm doing. We have now built great facilities and I had a hand in where every door in those facilities went. We have built this program to be exactly what I want from the ground up. So you have to ask yourself if the grass is really greener on the other side. Now people outside the program may say that of course it is but is it really? Besides, my wife said just the other night that you already have the best coaching job in America. You are coaching at the #1 team in the nation. You already have every other coaches destination job. People want to come here...not us leave.

Now, click and ad before you leave crying that it looks like Mullen is quite content where here in Starkvegas. And one more thing...5/6 is just around the corner.

11-12-2014, 02:08 PM
http://campusinsiders.com/videos/the_seth_davis_show_bonus_cut_dan_mullen_2014_11_1 1_21_27

Coach34
11-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Ive been telling people for 5 years now:

Mullen is a "statue guy". He doesnt want to follow the next such and such at a bigtime school- he wants to be "The Guy". He's going to stay at State 15 years and be our "statue guy"

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Didn't Coach Sherrill talk to him about this very thing when Dan started getting interest from other schools his second year? I think the only thing that would influence Dan leaving is the past inability to hire and keep great coordinators, although I'm sure we've improved in that area.

msstate7
11-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Didn't Coach Sherrill talk to him about this very thing when Dan started getting interest from other schools his second year? I think the only thing that would influence Dan leaving is the past inability to hire and keep great coordinators, although I'm sure we've improved in that area.

Collins was a great start in this area. We've gotta step it up for some more guys this year or we're gonna be gutted

MetEdDawg
11-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Mullen might be a statue guy but if we didn't step up to the plate and meet the demands he had, he wasn't going to stay here. New stadium, football complex, season ticket and stadium sell outs. All of those things were deal breakers if we didn't make them happen. We did and that made us a legitimate place to stay and coach football and a high level. I believe if we had not made a commitment to those things, he would not still be here.

OurState
11-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Ive been telling people for 5 years now:

Mullen is a "statue guy". He doesnt want to follow the next such and such at a bigtime school- he wants to be "The Guy". He's going to stay at State 15 years and be our "statue guy"

What jobs are better than an SEC job now?
The network changed everything.
Statue guy or not a statue guy, what calls would you have to at least listen to now? ND? FSU? Oklahoma? Maybe USC? Maybe Texas? Two years ago this was a big list.

Jack Lambert
11-12-2014, 03:22 PM
When you go to some of the other schools boards like Bama they all are saying he leaving. He got it mad in Starkville and he is probably fixing to get a 2 million dollar raise and his staff is fixing to get a raise. However if he doesn't a raise over a 15 year period he will make more money because he will be able to stay at Miss State for 15 years. Go to Michingan and he could be unemployed the next season.

Johnson85
11-12-2014, 03:34 PM
What jobs are better than an SEC job now?
The network changed everything.
Statue guy or not a statue guy, what calls would you have to at least listen to now? ND? FSU? Oklahoma? Maybe USC? Maybe Texas? Two years ago this was a big list.

Better is subjective, but to be better than any SEC school other than Vandy, UK, and maybe UM (depending on how itchy their trigger finger is), you're talking:

FSU: Prime recruiting base, plenty of money, and get to compete in a weak ACC.
USC: National name and the resources you need without SEC pressure. The PAC 12 does have good teams now, so it's no longer get up for 3 games and compete for a national championship.
UT: Prime recruiting base, plenty of money, get to compete in a mediocre Big 12, and surprisingly reasonable expectations
Oregon: Nike money. Not as good of a recruiting base, but national recognition.
Ohio State/Nebraska: Only Big name in a fairly populous state(less so in Nebraska)
Michigan/PSU/ND: If you are old school and the name recognition means something to you, despite the fact that you are going to face unrealistic expectations without a great natural recruiting base, and despite the fact that you'll always be compared unfavorably to previous coaches that won in a different era without the disadvantages you face.

I know there are some that I'm forgetting but I just don't see that many jobs out there that can compete with SEC jobs now. The bottom of the PAC 12 seems to really be improving itself so the Pac 12 jobs have the potential to be better jobs soon. Should have tons of TV money and maybe not quite the recruiting grounds that the south have but will also likely have a lot less pressure.

DLGDawg
11-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Just saw an interview he did with Seth Davis where he flat out asked him if a big name school calls then he has to at least take the call. Mullen replied back (and I'm paraphrasing)...

I have a great administation in Dr. Keenum and Scott Stricklin that supports me and what I'm doing. We have now built great facilities and I had a hand in where every door in those facilities went. We have built this program to be exactly what I want from the ground up. So you have to ask yourself if the grass is really greener on the other side. Now people outside the program may say that of course it is but is it really? Besides, my wife said just the other night that you already have the best coaching job in America. You are coaching at the #1 team in the nation. You already have every other coaches destination job. People want to come here...not us leave.

Now, click and ad before you leave crying that it looks like Mullen is quite content where here in Starkvegas. And one more thing...5/6 is just around the corner.

I wish the networks would quit pushing this. If they would shaddup not nearly as many people would even be thinking about these things. I mean, we are number 1 in the country, in the toughest division in the country. Where else you gonna go???

Ahh, but the media and their perceptions.....agendas.....they want the big names on the front page.

But crap. EVERY great program started somewhere, did they not? Alabama didn't just go out and buy helmets and become great way back when.

mic
11-12-2014, 04:58 PM
If Aubbie beats UGA this weekend....
A certain agent for a certain coach will be making some calls and doing some lobbying..

TrapGame
11-12-2014, 05:15 PM
A certain agent for a certain coach will be making some calls and some lobbying..

Has this certain coach ever been confused with the Oregon State mascot?

Johnson85
11-12-2014, 05:33 PM
A certain agent for a certain coach will be making some calls and doing some lobbying..

That would be hilarious to me. I don't really care whether Freeze stays or not. I think he's a good coach but at the same time, it's not his side of the ball that's doing so hot so I don't think he's that dangerous and certainly he's somebody replaceable. I'd just enjoy watching the cognitive dissonance that woudl come from UM fans being presented with pretty clear evidence that Oxford is still a charming, but ultimately podunk town.

OurState
11-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Better is subjective, but to be better than any SEC school other than Vandy, UK, and maybe UM (depending on how itchy their trigger finger is), you're talking:

FSU: Prime recruiting base, plenty of money, and get to compete in a weak ACC.
USC: National name and the resources you need without SEC pressure. The PAC 12 does have good teams now, so it's no longer get up for 3 games and compete for a national championship.
UT: Prime recruiting base, plenty of money, get to compete in a mediocre Big 12, and surprisingly reasonable expectations
Oregon: Nike money. Not as good of a recruiting base, but national recognition.
Ohio State/Nebraska: Only Big name in a fairly populous state(less so in Nebraska)
Michigan/PSU/ND: If you are old school and the name recognition means something to you, despite the fact that you are going to face unrealistic expectations without a great natural recruiting base, and despite the fact that you'll always be compared unfavorably to previous coaches that won in a different era without the disadvantages you face.

I know there are some that I'm forgetting but I just don't see that many jobs out there that can compete with SEC jobs now. The bottom of the PAC 12 seems to really be improving itself so the Pac 12 jobs have the potential to be better jobs soon. Should have tons of TV money and maybe not quite the recruiting grounds that the south have but will also likely have a lot less pressure.

Other than Vandy, UK I think you named to ones that could be (I would add Oklahoma). I think a coach would have to take the call at those schools. I am not saying interview, I just mean hear the sales pitch out.

Realistically, ND should be taken off the list (academic make it hard there), FSU, USC are the best - recruiting is easy, lots of $, schedule isn't that tough. Then Oregon, UT, OK, PSU, Michigan, OSU.

Now that SEC schools are getting $25mm a year, it's tough to have people pay more than even we or TSUN can pay. It has to be about other intangibles....

maroonmania
11-12-2014, 06:08 PM
I wish the networks would quit pushing this. If they would shaddup not nearly as many people would even be thinking about these things. I mean, we are number 1 in the country, in the toughest division in the country. Where else you gonna go???

Ahh, but the media and their perceptions.....agendas.....they want the big names on the front page.

But crap. EVERY great program started somewhere, did they not? Alabama didn't just go out and buy helmets and become great way back when.

At MSU as a HC its seems to always be you are either on the hot seat or you are looking to take a better job. Just the mindset of the media. Its also made worse from the fact that Mullen really has no natural connections to MSU. So that eggs this type of stuff on given we are doing well. If we were doing this under Hudspeth it probably wouldn't be quite as bad.

BrunswickDawg
11-12-2014, 10:09 PM
He can Hobby Lobby UGA all he wants - there is absolutely no way on God's Green Earth that UGA is going to hire him.