PDA

View Full Version : Girodo a starter in Omaha, why not?....

maroonmania
06-11-2013, 04:11 PM
he has given us 5 or 6 great innings the last couple of appearances anyway. Why not start him Game 2 to hopefully pitch us into the championship round of our bracket (if we get by OSU)?

CadaverDawg
06-11-2013, 04:16 PM
he has given us 5 or 6 great innings the last couple of appearances anyway. Why not start him Game 2 to hopefully pitch us into the championship round of our bracket (if we get by OSU)?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

messageboardsuperhero
06-11-2013, 04:23 PM
^^Exactly. Why would we take a guy out of his comfort zone? I don't think he's started a game in his career at State, so the CWS probably wouldn't be the best spot for that. He's clearly in a rhythm right now being the first guy out of the pen; let him keep doing it.

Also, why would you change what got you here? Doing stuff like that gets you beat.

PMDawg
06-11-2013, 04:56 PM
^^Exactly. Why would we take a guy out of his comfort zone? I don't think he's started a game in his career at State, so the CWS probably wouldn't be the best spot for that. He's clearly in a rhythm right now being the first guy out of the pen; let him keep doing it.

Also, why would you change what got you here? Doing stuff like that gets you beat.

I'm ok with it either way, but I do want to address this comment that keeps appearing (why change what's been working). We just changed everything up going into the SEC tournament, and it worked out. We changed our whole pitching approach as we went into the post season. Now, we're talking about one minor tweak. flip girado and fitts. Again, I think there's merit in continuing to start fitts, but I don't think starting girado is such a far out idea. The dude is on right now. I just get excited seeing him run on the field, I don't care when it is.

CadaverDawg
06-11-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm ok with it either way, but I do want to address this comment that keeps appearing (why change what's been working). We just changed everything up going into the SEC tournament, and it worked out. We changed our whole pitching approach as we went into the post season. Now, we're talking about one minor tweak. flip girado and fitts. Again, I think there's merit in continuing to start fitts, but I don't think starting girado is such a far out idea. The dude is on right now. I just get excited seeing him run on the field, I don't care when it is.

Girodo is a shut down guy, not a starter. He has never been a starter and never will be a starter. Why do you want to take him out of his element? It makes no sense.

maroonmania
06-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Girodo is a shut down guy, not a starter. He has never been a starter and never will be a starter. Why do you want to take him out of his element? It makes no sense.

Girodo did start some games early in his career which didn't go well, but then again nothing really went well early in his career. I'm just saying if a guy is capable of going the number of innings he's gone the last couple of times out he IS capable of being a starter even though he MAY feel more comfortable coming out of the pen. But hell's bells, apparently we don't anyone other than Graveman who is "comfortable" being a starter. Well, Pollo is doing it also but he is probably not all that comfy with it either since he's been mostly a reliever in his career. I mean right now its Graveman and then we are throwing Fitts and Bracewell out there, neither one who has ever started much at all, so I really don't see why everyone is getting in a tizzy at the thought of starting Girodo. Apparently the guys who are supposed to be "comfortable" starting, i.e. Lindgren and Mitchell, aren't good enough at it to even be used at all anymore.

CadaverDawg
06-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Girodo did start some games early in his career which didn't go well, but then again nothing really went well early in his career. I'm just saying if a guy is capable of going the number of innings he's gone the last couple of times out he IS capable of being a starter even though he MAY feel more comfortable coming out of the pen. But hell's bells, apparently we don't anyone other than Graveman who is "comfortable" being a starter. Well, Pollo is doing it also but he is probably not all that comfy with it either since he's been mostly a reliever in his career. I mean right now its Graveman and then we are throwing Fitts and Bracewell out there, neither one who has ever started much at all, so I really don't see why everyone is getting in a tizzy at the thought of starting Girodo. Apparently the guys who are supposed to be "comfortable" starting, i.e. Lindgren and Mitchell, aren't good enough at it to even be used at all anymore.

I don't think anybody is saying Girodo couldn't possibly do well if he started a game, but what we are saying is he hasn't done it lately and lately he has been GREAT...so why would you risk screwing with that? Fitts wasn't doing much out of the pen, so throwing him in the rotation wasn't risking ruining a good thing.

In other words, just like you are saying "what would it hurt?", I say "what would it help?". Starting him could only have a negative effect compared to what he's been doing, because you can't get any better than he has been. I guess that's my point.

The Croom Diaries
06-11-2013, 06:00 PM
1. He's lethal against lefties right now, if you set him to start game 2 then you are eliminating the ability to use him in game 1 - and come a critical point in the game where we need to get a tough lefty out I want Girodo.
2. If Girodo is going to go 4-5 innings I would rather have him during the most critical innings of the game - the later innings.
3. Putting him in after Fitts or Bracewell gives a left handed look immediately following a right handed look after probably only 1 or 1 1/2 times though the order.
4. Starting is a different mindset than relieving - especially doing it for the first time all year in Omaha.
5. We may not play the CWS the same as Regionals and Super Regionals - we may only try to use Chad for an inning or two each game instead of a really long relief appearance that could burn him for a few day.

I could probably go on, but I won't.

State82
06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Word on that! Dance with whoever brung ya'! And in the same sequence that they brung ya'

Todd4State
06-11-2013, 06:34 PM

We changed because things because CT hurt his calf, and we didn't want to risk hurting him worse before the part of the postseason that actually counts. Other than that, we really didn't change much.

SaltyDawg
06-12-2013, 08:47 AM
At this point, just trust whatever Cohen does. The man obviously knows what he's doing. If he feels that Girodo is the best option to start Game 2 then so be it, I'm just not convinced he has considered it.