PDA

View Full Version : If you've got a few minutes, watch this interview with Cohen.

messageboardsuperhero
06-11-2013, 02:39 PM
I know it's been talked about, but Cohen has grown up a lot as a coach this year. He's connecting more with the players and letting them have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fa8Ra52n7dc#!

Coach34
06-11-2013, 02:53 PM
You can watch that see why Cohen and Mullen get along so well- especially this quote:

"we teach this, we teach that...the most important thing for us is getting the right people that fit our program"

CadaverDawg
06-11-2013, 03:17 PM
I know it's been talked about, but Cohen has grown up a lot as a coach this year. He's connecting more with the players and letting them have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fa8Ra52n7dc#!

Good stuff, thanks for posting that.

As a guy that is not extremely far removed from playing baseball, I can tell you one thing....If I listened to that interview, and had that man recruiting me, and watching this team play its way into the CWS, and saw our fan support....there is no way I could pass up the opportunity to play at Mississippi State.

I know I am biased, but we have a family atmosphere, we win, we make good grades, we have a players coach, we have incredible fan support, a great venue, and we play in the best conference in the land. John Cohen is building something extremely special here, and he is just getting started.

This season is going to skyrocket our recruiting, and hopefully it speeds up Stadium talk, because we are on the cusp of something great and we need to be able to keep up with it. Get the Stadium plans going, Scott.

Wow, what a great time for MSU baseball.

engie
06-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Being willing to look in the mirror -- realize mistakes -- and make changes.... That's what is going to lead him to ultimate glory at MSU. That is putting WINNING before EGO -- and it's something we haven't had in a very long time...

State82
06-11-2013, 03:43 PM
You can watch that see why Cohen and Mullen get along so well- especially this quote:

"we teach this, we teach that...the most important thing for us is getting the right people that fit our program"

I heard Cohen in an interview a year or so ago say that he and Mullen were having dinner together one night and discussing the type of players they both looked for. Cohen said he and Mullen both agreed that not just anybody can come in and play for them. He said it takes a special type player to be able to handle their ways of running their respective programs and that is what they look for. It's not all about "stars", although that certainly helps, but if a blue chipper doesn't fit the program the way Cohen or Mullen thinks he should they will find someone else who will. Every time I have heard Cohen speak over the years since he has been here, I am more impressed. He's pretty cerebral.

messageboardsuperhero
06-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Being willing to look in the mirror -- realize mistakes -- and make changes.... That's what is going to lead him to ultimate glory at MSU. That is putting WINNING before EGO -- and it's something we haven't had in a very long time...

That's what I got out of it. It means a lot for him to say that he has failed at letting his players have fun until this year. You can tell our guys are just out there playing ball... They're still into the game and Cohen is still the intense bastard, but this year, it seems like they are attacking the game with a more "let's go make this play and win the game" attitude, as opposed to past teams' (particularly his first two teams) "let's not screw this up so Cohen won't rip us" attitude. Our players are really fun to watch right now.

missouridawg
06-11-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm ok with Cohen taking this stance because it's obviously successful... But Mullen needs to beat Bama o LSU before he can thumb his nose at the type of player being used to beat him.

Goat Holder
06-11-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm ok with Cohen taking this stance because it's obviously successful... But Mullen needs to beat Bama o LSU before he can thumb his nose at the type of player being used to beat him.

A small, minuscule difference in MSU football and baseball. Mullen has every right to tote this party line as long as he's going to bowl games. Hell as long as he's actually DEFEATING his OOC opponents (something Croom and King Jackie never did consistently).

If you consider where we come from, and the state of the programs and conference, nothing wrong with Mullen saying this.

Todd4State
06-11-2013, 06:43 PM

How many times have I said that line when some of our fans were bitching about Perfect Game not rating all of our players high or rating them at all?