PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bammer's offense

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2014, 09:20 AM
This morning on Bo Bounds, Neal McCready was curious if Saban would allow Kiffin to open up Bama's offense this weekend, and, in McCready's defense, he isn't the first analyst to say something similar this.

However, this past weekend against LSU, Bama threw the ball 46 times and ran the ball only 29 times.

So, I guess my question is: what does opening up the offense mean?

Does it mean that Blake Sims mindlessly throws deep more, even if they are incomplete passes? Bama threw deep against LSU, but couldn't complete the pass.

Is it a perception thing that when Bama has success on offense, people say the offense is open, but when they don't people say the offense isn't open?

I'm just curious why people think Saban didn't open up the offense against LSU when they threw the ball twice as much as they ran it?

SDDawg
11-11-2014, 09:28 AM
I don't buy it. They couldn't "open it up" to beat OM, struggled mightily against LSU, and other than teams that gave up like A&M they haven't shown much. I think we're seeing all that there is...

SDDawg
11-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Leave it to McCready to pump up Bama. The only thing OM can cling to is the idea that Bama is the top team in football, yet OM beat them. They should focus on Arky...

Coach34
11-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Sims is going to have to throw it 46 times to have a chance to beat us

codeDawg
11-11-2014, 10:04 AM
This morning on Bo Bounds, Neal McCready was curious if Saban would allow Kiffin to open up Bama's offense this weekend, and, in McCready's defense, he isn't the first analyst to say something similar this.

However, this past weekend against LSU, Bama threw the ball 46 times and ran the ball only 29 times.

So, I guess my question is: what does opening up the offense mean?

Does it mean that Blake Sims mindlessly throws deep more, even if they are incomplete passes? Bama threw deep against LSU, but couldn't complete the pass.

Is it a perception thing that when Bama has success on offense, people say the offense is open, but when they don't people say the offense isn't open?

I'm just curious why people think Saban didn't open up the offense against LSU when they threw the ball twice as much as they ran it?

I think the point is that Saban thinks they are wasting downs throwing the ball downfield and need to focus on the run game. He almost gave Kiffin enough rope to hang himself last weekend. The game would have been a lot different if they had a more balanced attack.

Coach is right though. They are going to have to heave it against us to have a chance. Hopefully Saban has a "put my foot down" moment this weekend and it causes some internal conflict and stubborn running into a brick wall. That game ended perfectly for us.

Political Hack
11-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Saban wants to play clock control and run the ball on 1st and 2nd down when they can. Last weekend they had he ball for under 7 minutes in the 2nd half and threw 17 more times than they ran. Sounds like McReady may not know what he's talking about to me. They've tried to "open it up." They just can't.

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Saban wants to play clock control and run the ball on 1st and 2nd down when they can. Last weekend they had he ball for under 7 minutes in the 2nd half and threw 17 more times than they ran. Sounds like McReady may not know what he's talking about to me. They've tried to "open it up." They just can't.

Exactly, it seems like Bama needs to "close" the offense

Johnson85
11-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Exactly, it seems like Bama needs to "close" the offense

^^^THIS^^^

Bama lost to UM because they got suckered into passing the ball too much. Yes, that's what UM was baiting them to do, but they were doing that because it was more dangerous for Bama to pound on them all game. When you have a balanced team, you take what the defense gives you. When you don't, you do what you do best. Against UM, and LSU, Bama needs to run the ball, avoid turnovers, and hope the defense lets them win a low scoring game. Against Auburn, they can go to the pass because they should have trouble with Cooper and also because Auburn will likely score enought aht they need some points. I think the same is true against MSU but we'll see.

I seen it dawg
11-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Sims limits them.