PDA

View Full Version : Defense

monroedawg5646
11-11-2014, 02:30 AM
I'm so tired of hearing about Mississippi State's "shitty" defense. Everyone looks at the total defense stat and says we aren't very good. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't games won with points not yards gained??? It really doesn't make a shit what teams do between the goal lines if they aren't crossing them. We are currently 16th in scoring defense. To me that's the only defensive stat that matters. #amiright

Coach34
11-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Their stupidity gives me so much joy when we keep seeing their stunned faces after we beat that ass. I cant wait to see the Gumps toothless faces of horror when we take it from them in Bryant-Denny

KB21
11-11-2014, 08:12 AM
We also have the best third down defense and the best red zone defense in the country. MSU's total defensive stats are skewed by the numbers that have been given up when there have been mass substitutions on defense. They are also skewed some by the fact that teams have had to play catch up against us and have thrown the ball more than they have run it. That poor defense is going to end up having two first team All Americans in Preston Smith and Bernardrick McKinney, and Chris Jones will probably be a 2nd team guy.

Daniel Jeremiah posted a tweet on twitter after MSU stopped LSU on the goal line that a veteran NFL scout told him prior to the season that MSU had the best front seven in the SEC. I think we all knew that, but it was good to see someone with the NFL Network who does scouting for a living and has no connections to the MSU Program say that.

msstate7
11-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Do we play the bend but don't break defense bc of less than average safety play?

KB21
11-11-2014, 08:26 AM
I really like our defense. Do we play the bend but don't break defense bc of less than average safety play?

I think we play the style we do because it is very difficult for teams to string together long drives where they have to nickle and dime their way down the field without making a mistake at some point. This defense capitalizes on those mistakes.