PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone decipher what "The Hat" means here?

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Ross Dellenger ‏@DellengerAdv 17m17 minutes ago
Miles on #Bama-MSU game: "The alignment of Alabama's defense will give Mississippi State an issue."

If Bama's defensive alignment will give us issues, then why didn't LSU line up like Bama against us?

mstatefan91
11-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Les Miles is crazy and says things that don't make a whole lot of sense. Nothing to see here

Maroons
11-10-2014, 02:36 PM
I assume he's talking about their base D having a NG in the A gap, esp. since the majority of Dak's rushing yards have come on runs up the middle. The middle 3 in our OL will have to play very well.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm just curious if it's a 4/3 vs 3/4 issue and how in Bama's 3/4 they have a massive nose guard that keeps Dak from gutting their line?

Covercorner2
11-10-2014, 02:37 PM
yea I think he is talking about the 3-4 as opposed to the 4-3...

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Imagine that if slowing down our offense was as easy as placing a big ass nose guard in the A-gap, everyone would have done it

What makes Bama's alignment different?

Covercorner2
11-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Imagine that if slowing down our offense was as easy as placing a big ass nose guard in the A-gap, everyone would have done it

What makes Bama's alignment different?

I guess that they have the personnel to do it? Big 315 lb + nose guards, and a stable to big, rangy LBs....

CadaverDawg
11-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Where's 57 or 34 or West to break down what Les means and how we will combat it?

Bubb Rubb
11-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Where's 57 or 34 or West to break down what Les means and how we will combat it?

I'm not either of those, but we need to double team the point of attack (the noseguard) and pull the backside lineman to get a linebacker. Their alignment will limit the big QB draw runs, but we should be able to rush for a healthy YPC number. Dak will get his rushing yards this week more from scrambling than running the draw play, but there will be opportunities. I expect a lower-scoring game, but we should be able to score 24, which I think will be plenty to win the game. This is just my opinion, though.

codeDawg
11-10-2014, 03:02 PM
The biggest problem I can see is that it's just different. Dan and Dak have made a living on reading defenses. This one is going to look and work differently than the other 9 we've played this year plus the one we normally practice against.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2014, 03:02 PM
What is Bama sacrificing by lining up this way? A pass rush?

Bubb Rubb
11-10-2014, 03:05 PM
What is Bama sacrificing by lining up this way? A pass rush?

They aren't sacrificing anything. Their ends will be a handful and they will bring pressure from their LBs. They will make it tough for us to read and pick up their pressure. Their goal is to occupy our OL with their front and allow their backers to run free.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2014, 03:09 PM
They aren't sacrificing anything. Their ends will be a handful and they will bring pressure from their LBs. They will make it tough for us to read and pick up their pressure. Their goal is to occupy our OL with their front and allow their backers to run free.

But they only have 3 guys up front

EAVdog
11-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Their Alignment didn't slow down Jennings from making some big runs up the middle. We'll incorporate TE's and Slot Receivers to peel off their LB's. That's how they get you, your OL engages 3 guys, usually with 4 and then the LB's fill/shoot the gaps. We'll have to make the LB choose to cover MJ/JL or try to sack Dak. We'll see a lot of one back sets, 4 and 5 wide.

We won't just line up and run it through the A gap. Our play calling needs to keep their heads spinning and we need to go up-tempo. Just like Oklahoma did last year. And WV and OM did a little bit this year.

Bubb Rubb
11-10-2014, 03:14 PM
But they only have 3 guys up front

Their hope is that we won't be able to block three guys with three guys. They expect that we will have to double team at least the NG, and possibly at least one of the ends. Like EAV said below, we have to use the TEs to block more and spread the field otherwise.

Beaver
11-10-2014, 03:20 PM
We'll have to make the LB choose to cover MJ/JL or try to sack Dak.

And this is why Jameon coming back this week is huge. While Gabe probably has more speed, Jameon's quickness and ability to work the middle of the field should be a boost.

MetEdDawg
11-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Les actually makes a ton of sense here. The whole purpose of a three man front is that you have a NT act like two DTs, thus leaving you 4 LBs instead of 3 to attack the LOS or play with your skills players in space.

We've struggled with this in the past. The throwing lanes are smaller, the blitzers are faster and more athletic, and your ability to disguise what you are doing on defense goes up significantly. That's going to cause us some problems no doubt. The question is how much can we get done when we don't get fooled and can we limit the damage on plays where we do get fooled.

We've got to neutralize Bama in the middle. I believe we lead the country in rushing yards between the tackles. Bama is going to try and take that away because we are not a very good edge team. We don't have elite speed. We are very much power run and we predicate our playaction game off of our ability to be successful between the tackles. If we can control the LOS there, we can win this game. But if lose that battle more often than we win it, it's going to be a long day. Outside of Dak, the three most important players Saturday are Beckwith, Day, and Malone in my opinion.

chef dixon
11-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Les sorry we tagged that ass. Maybe you can employ this next year.

Jack Lambert
11-10-2014, 03:41 PM
I think it is wishful thinking. If they can't win it all they damn sure don't want MSU to win it.

Westdawg
11-10-2014, 03:41 PM
He means their 3-4 base defense

quick breakdown

much of our inside and outside zone runs work best against a 40 front. just how it is. I think that is why Kentucky gave us some issues at times up front against our offense. if you have a solid 0 tech NG that can eat up the middle and control both A gaps, it allows the defense to open up a lot of their defensive playbook and wreak havoc with lots of pressure from multiple points. Dillon is going to have his work cut out. I won't lie, after seeing how we struggled a bit with Kentucky's front i was glad that our O line had a chance to really work against it. as the game went on, they seemed to get things figured out. Now the big difference between those two defenses - aside from personnel - is that UK runs mostly a 30 Stack, or 3-5-3 hybrid. Lots of things you can do pressure-wise with that defense. Bama is a legit 3-4 base defense. Those two inside LBs are the difference with those defenses. and Bama has some good ones. with a strong NG play, you open up the inside backers to clean up a LOT. This also allows your DEs and OLBs to work a lot of stunts and pressures from the edge as well as great containment. but the issue is play on that NG.
if Day can handle that NG it will open up our OGs to take on their insider backers with ease. if Day has to have help, we may have a long day trying to run the ball.

justwin
11-10-2014, 04:17 PM
He's implying that the NG is going to slow down our run. That, and the Bama LBs are the best we've seen or will see. I think it's a bit much to say how dominant Bama's defense is when, in BR, they were playing against one of the crappiest offenses in the SEC in LSU. LSU is completely one-dimensional, all they can do is run the ball. They get next to nothing from their qb position. Yet, my takeaway from Sat. night is that even after knowing this, LSU still had success running the ball vs Bama. Hell, Bama went to OT in the same setting vs a team that State completely dominated in all phases except backup prevent defense.

Everyone needs to close their eyes and remember those 5 or 6 runs that Jennings had where he was running scared and converting 1st downs. Now, substitute Dak who will score on a few of those same plays if given the chance.

Ross Dellenger ‏@DellengerAdv 17m17 minutes ago
Miles on #Bama-MSU game: "The alignment of Alabama's defense will give Mississippi State an issue."

If Bama's defensive alignment will give us issues, then why didn't LSU line up like Bama against us?

Covercorner2
11-10-2014, 04:58 PM
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/11/les_miles_cautiously_sizes_up.html

Todd4State
11-10-2014, 05:05 PM
I may be being simplistic here, but if there are blocking issues with their LB's, to me it would seem like it would be prudent to use a FB or a H-back to use as a lead blocker if there are issues.

HoopsDawg
11-10-2014, 05:09 PM
I think it's more difficult to run the zone read, read option against a 3-4 than a 4-3. And no one in college football runs the 3-4 as good as Bama. We are going to have to beat Bama thru the air like OU did in the bowl game. I think Dak can run on called pass plays.

HoopsDawg
11-10-2014, 05:10 PM
I may be being simplistic here, but if there are blocking issues with their LB's, to me it would seem like it would be prudent to use a FB or a H-back to use as a lead blocker if there are issues.

We aren't going to be able to install that 10 games into the season.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2014, 05:12 PM

Possibly, but that would include having to take someone else off the field. I would rather spread Bama out and force one of those LBs out of the play.

The best news here is that our O-line is full of veterans that have played significant snaps against better Bama defenses than this one. That should provide some comfort level for our guys about what they'll see and where the opportunities are.

maroonmania
11-10-2014, 05:43 PM
He means their 3-4 base defense

quick breakdown

much of our inside and outside zone runs work best against a 40 front. just how it is. I think that is why Kentucky gave us some issues at times up front against our offense. if you have a solid 0 tech NG that can eat up the middle and control both A gaps, it allows the defense to open up a lot of their defensive playbook and wreak havoc with lots of pressure from multiple points. Dillon is going to have his work cut out. I won't lie, after seeing how we struggled a bit with Kentucky's front i was glad that our O line had a chance to really work against it. as the game went on, they seemed to get things figured out. Now the big difference between those two defenses - aside from personnel - is that UK runs mostly a 30 Stack, or 3-5-3 hybrid. Lots of things you can do pressure-wise with that defense. Bama is a legit 3-4 base defense. Those two inside LBs are the difference with those defenses. and Bama has some good ones. with a strong NG play, you open up the inside backers to clean up a LOT. This also allows your DEs and OLBs to work a lot of stunts and pressures from the edge as well as great containment. but the issue is play on that NG.
if Day can handle that NG it will open up our OGs to take on their insider backers with ease. if Day has to have help, we may have a long day trying to run the ball.

Guess I can't disagree. Our point totals against Saban defenses since Mullen arrived are:

2009 - 3
2010 - 10
2011 - 7
2012 - 7
2013 - 7

I know we are much better this year with a much better QB but that is a pathetic track record of points against that defense.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Guess I can't disagree. Our point totals against Saban defenses since Mullen arrived are:

2009 - 3
2010 - 10
2011 - 7
2012 - 7
2013 - 7

I know we are much better this year with a much better QB but that is a pathetic track record of points against that defense.

Wow.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2014, 05:57 PM

2009 - 3
2010 - 10
2011 - 7
2012 - 7
2013 - 7

Well... At least Mullen knows what not to do. I think it really helps to have a coach that's been here for a while and had to prepare for Bama every year.

Our staff should have a clear understanding of what we have to do.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2014, 06:00 PM
So basically, Dillon Day has to play the game of his life. Is my understanding correct with this?

If he does we will roll, if he doesn't, we may not score.

Maroons
11-10-2014, 06:05 PM

Auburn obviously does this very well and ran all over Bama last year. But with our personnel, I think it's just the opposite - go 4 and 5 wide.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-10-2014, 06:19 PM
It's been brought up before this season ,but could this be the game where we run some diamond formations with both shump and robinson in the backfield?

EAVdog
11-10-2014, 06:22 PM
4 and 5 wide, if the LB's try to shoot the gaps and get pressure quick dump to Slot Receiver and TE's. Also rolling Dak out on pass plays, his threat to run will draw in the D and make some WR's get free.

Really need WR's to GET OPEN!

And we need to go hurry up, Bama's D can be caught out of position. Oklahoma/Utah thoroughly abused their scheme in those bowl games. Regardless of whether or not Bama wanted to be in those games.

Political Hack
11-10-2014, 06:25 PM
a good 3-4 is a little more difficult to run the read option against because the reads are more difficult, but Dak knows the freaking reads... so in short, that's a pretty dumb statement.

codeDawg
11-10-2014, 06:46 PM
I think this image from that crappy article this morning illustrates things well. What it fails to mention is that the guy that makes the play is the right defensive tackle that got off his block and pushed the back into the NT.

https://d3murf.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/heavypersonnelstoplsu.gif

Percho
11-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Instead of 5 wide outs, I would motion Josh as an extended run and or draw dependent on what Bama does with the motion.

IMissJack
11-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Les has done everything possible to explain the LSU loss to us except say LSU got whipped. At the press conference after the game, he basically said he was not willing to say they got beaten badly. Last week, he said Bama would be their toughest opponent this year by a lot. This is a case of a "Traditional Power" not wanting to give legitimacy to an up and comer like MSU. If I ignore them or continue to allude to the fact they aren't that tough, then maybe they will go away. He is not going to help anyone take any of the ground that LSU and Bama usually have at the top.

SDDawg
11-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Les is a punk. And a weird ass dude.

VandelayIndustries
11-10-2014, 07:38 PM
I assume he's talking about their base D having a NG in the A gap, esp. since the majority of Dak's rushing yards have come on runs up the middle. The middle 3 in our OL will have to play very well.

This going to be huge for us on O. Their NG is a monster

Todd4State
11-10-2014, 07:45 PM
We aren't going to be able to install that 10 games into the season.

We have a formation where Dak is in the gun and flanked by two RB's. Josh and either Griffen or Shumpert I guess.

Todd4State
11-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Auburn obviously does this very well and ran all over Bama last year. But with our personnel, I think it's just the opposite - go 4 and 5 wide.

That's what I'm talking about. I think we'll see a variety of things. Saban will adjust pretty quickly if we go 5 wide a good bit of the time.

Westdawg
11-10-2014, 07:48 PM
In that play gifted above, the OT screws that play all up. If he had either cut deeper or down blocked the DE, the RB goes for a considerable gain. If our OL does their job, we are fine. The biggest thing Dillon MUST do is make NG one gap. He cannot allow him to eat space and occupy both gaps. If Day gets him into one gap and rides him through it, it will spring the runner.

Westdawg
11-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Another thing-
If we are in a doubles set , this will pull the OLBs away from the box and allows for the C & OG to ace block up to the second level to the backside ILB, and the OT to playside can work up to ILB and spring the zone read for dak and josh.