PDA

View Full Version : Our OOC schedule. How would you feel

cheewgumm
11-10-2014, 12:16 PM
After the big argument after and during last year about us scheduling tougher teams OOC, if we had one loss but got
Left out because of our OOC schedule?

I ask this because it seems to be the current talking point among many CFB writers.

I will say on the argument I was for
Us scheduling tougher non conf teams. However even I think it would
Be asinine given our SEC slate.

Jack Lambert
11-10-2014, 12:19 PM
After the big argument after and during last year about us scheduling tougher teams OOC, if we had one loss but got

I ask this because it seems to be the current talking point among many CFB writers.

It doesn't matter what they think. It only matters to the committee and they havn't seemed to put much stock into our OOC so far.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Our OOC schedule is just what non SEC people are pointing at to influence the committe to not put 2 SEC teams in the playoff. It's an ignorant argument because it's absurd to not look at the entire body work. With one loss, MSU would still have the best resume in the country.

Why should MSU have beef up its OOC and play more difficult teams than the Big 10 or Big 12?

Big 10 teams need to play a tough OOC schedule because they don't play good teams in conference. The argument against our OOC isn't logical.

Political Hack
11-10-2014, 12:46 PM
win five games against the top 10 and we'll be ok. win 4 out of 5 and well still probably be ok.

Jack Lambert
11-10-2014, 01:44 PM
One way to look at it is this, We are the only team in the country that is 5-0 aginst the best football conference.

HoopsDawg
11-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Our OOC schedule this year is a complete joke, much like Baylor's. Just think if we had played Arizona this year at home and beat them by a couple of TD's. Oregon would have no argument over us.

Most people think we are going to lose to Bama and they don't want us in the 4 team playoff with 1 loss so the campaign has begun.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Our OOC schedule this year is a complete joke, much like Baylor's. Just think if we had played Arizona this year at home and beat them by a couple of TD's. Oregon would have no argument over us.

Most people think we are going to lose to Bama and they don't want us in the 4 team playoff with 1 loss so the campaign has begun.

I completely agree that our OOC schedule sucks. IMO, anyone trying to talk about how good Southern Miss or South Alabama was when we scheduled them, are attacking this debate in the wrong way. Our OOC schedule sucks, face it.

That being said, with 1 loss, we would still have the best resume in the country and I can't understand the logic of why our OOC schedule would count more than our conference schedule. Again, it's an illogical argument made by biased people who have nothing else to argue

Reason2succeed
11-10-2014, 02:04 PM
All this is a moot point if we don't lose. No, we should stick to scheduling like we have until we are forced to schedule a Power 5 in 2016. When we schedule the Power 5 OOC we should STILL pick the sorriest team we can find because the SEC West will always garner enough respect.

Political Hack
11-10-2014, 02:16 PM
it's about your total strength of schedule, not just your conference or OOC. to segregate the two is moronic.

Todd4State
11-10-2014, 04:37 PM
It doesn't appear to be affecting the committee since they have us ranked number one. Ironically, our "weak schedule" was harped on by sportswriters in 1999- and that was a year we played Oklahoma State.

Currently we are ranked 14th in SOS per this web site:

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

If anything, this season proves those of us that believe in the manageable schedule correct. By playing easier OOC games, it has allowed us to develop talent and stay healthier, which has in turn allowed us to have a better chance to beat people like LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, and etc. and that has in turn led to us getting a LOT more legit national recognition and exposure- two MSU SI cover stories, a number one ranking, numerous stories about MSU football in the media, and etc. And I guarantee you that exposure has helped MSU football a lot more than playing Kansas State or playing on a Thursday night.

I would venture to say that even if we have one loss and don't get picked for the playoff, we still came out way ahead of where we would have had we played a power five team- especially had we lost to that team and sustained a ton of injuries in the process. Not to mention the lack of meaningful player development that would have potentially been lost. If we had played a power five team and defeated them- there is no guarantee that the media would have not still criticized our schedule. Again, see the 1999 MSU team.

I'm not concerned about us not getting picked as long as we control our own destiny anyway. I can't imagine the committee would all of a sudden criticize our schedule at this point since they haven't so far- likely because of who we play in the SEC.

Todd4State
11-10-2014, 04:40 PM
All this is a moot point if we don't lose. No, we should stick to scheduling like we have until we are forced to schedule a Power 5 in 2016. When we schedule the Power 5 OOC we should STILL pick the sorriest team we can find because the SEC West will always garner enough respect.

And even then Scott needs to pony up and play Wake Forest and people like that even though it's going to cost us a ton of money. LT is a complete douchebag for coming up with that communist football scheduling rule. Especially since it's unnecessary. If SOS is that big of a concern, just schedule a 9th SEC game and save EVERYONE a lot of money while accomplishing the same thing. This was a typical LT cart before the horse move.

maroonmania
11-10-2014, 04:41 PM

Well we normally try to play one pretty good team per year OOC and when we scheduled USM (and they were 12-1 at the time) we thought they were it. Problem is that they want to see one Big 5 conference team on the schedule every year and we haven't done that very much.

DudyDawg
11-10-2014, 04:42 PM
I think writers and fans alike look at our weak (and lets face it, it was verrrry weak) OOC schedule because you can't point to the IN conference schedule. Its the ONLY way to attempt to discredit what we've done, so they are trying to justify how we could possibly be where we are. If we go 11-1, I'm not sure anyone could have a better resume with our three previous big wins plus a win over either Bama or OM and a possible SEC title. The only team I think that could've possibly had a better resume was K-State, and they just got their second loss, so they're out. TCU may be comparable, but I still think its us.

Todd4State
11-10-2014, 04:50 PM
I think writers and fans alike look at our weak (and lets face it, it was verrrry weak) OOC schedule because you can't point to the IN conference schedule. Its the ONLY way to attempt to discredit what we've done, so they are trying to justify how we could possibly be where we are. If we go 11-1, I'm not sure anyone could have a better resume with our three previous big wins plus a win over either Bama or OM and a possible SEC title. The only team I think that could've possibly had a better resume was K-State, and they just got their second loss, so they're out. TCU may be comparable, but I still think its us.

I'm not going to proclaim that we have a really strong OOC schedule, but two out of the four teams we scheduled are on pace to be bowl eligible. One of the others is USM, and then there is UT-Martin, but every D-I team in America plays someone like that for homecoming. See Ole Miss/Presbyterian and Alabama/Western Carolina.

Our OOC may not be a world beater- but it's also not as bad as some are trying to make it out to be.

DudyDawg
11-10-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm not going to proclaim that we have a really strong OOC schedule, but two out of the four teams we scheduled are on pace to be bowl eligible. One of the others is USM, and then there is UT-Martin, but every D-I team in America plays someone like that for homecoming. See Ole Miss/Presbyterian and Alabama/Western Carolina.

Our OOC may not be a world beater- but it's also not as bad as some are trying to make it out to be.

I agree that it is not nearly as bad as some try to make it, but it isn't great by any stretch of the word. Scheduling a middle of the road power five team (Like Bama with WV or FSU with Okie State) would've ended this debate, but I don't think it matters. It was a sub par one, but considering our conference games, an understandable one. That being said, 11-1 (or possible 12-1 w an SEC crown) I think we get in over 11-1 TCU/Ohio State/Baylor etc.

maroonmania
11-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Let's be honest, how many of us REALLY thought our current OOC schedule could potentially be a factor in us making the first ever 4 team college football playoff? Even the most optimistic MSU fan was likely not thinking we would make this kind of jump this year. We PLAYED OK St. last year out of the gate and the injuries we got out of that game (even more than losing) impacted our season last year in a VERY negative way.

LC Dawg
11-10-2014, 05:08 PM
The only reason to strengthen your OOC schedule is because your conference schedule is weak. For example, if Michigan State had beaten Oregon then their one conference loss in a weak conference would not look as bad. If you play in the SEC West you don't need to add tough opponents. The playoff committee has mentioned they look at who a team has beaten but I haven't heard them say they want to see who a team has beaten out of their conference.

mic
11-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Auburn plays Samford next weekend
Bama I think plays western Carolina..

But I'm sure no one will make a big deal about that...

DudyDawg
11-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Auburn plays Samford next weekend
Bama I think plays western Carolina..

But I'm sure no one will make a big deal about that...

Auburn went on the road to K-State
Bama played West Virginia at a neutral site.

Most people don't have a problem with an easy homecoming game like we just had. Most teams do that. Its the other three people are nitpicking about.

maroonmania
11-10-2014, 05:36 PM

Most people don't have a problem with an easy homecoming game like we just had. Most teams do that. Its the other three people are nitpicking about.

I think most would be satisfied with one challenging OOC game. As I said, we thought USM was good enough to be that team when we scheduled them but the bottom fell out of their program so it didn't work out that way. We are going to have the same issue next year likely.

Todd4State
11-10-2014, 07:07 PM
I think most would be satisfied with one challenging OOC game. As I said, we thought USM was good enough to be that team when we scheduled them but the bottom fell out of their program so it didn't work out that way. We are going to have the same issue next year likely.

I'm all for a challenging OOC game- in a bowl game.

Playing a challenging OOC game does not help us, and I think most of our fans realize that. We really only played two cupcakes at home this year where there were low interest- UAB and UT-Martin. Of course, one was HC. South Alabama was not "interesting" but we played them on the road, and I would consider Mobile an alumni road trip game since they are fairly close to the beach.

IMissJack
11-10-2014, 07:08 PM
It would piss me off because a team from any other conference has to go strong OOC to get their SOS to be relevant in the first place.

Todd4State
11-10-2014, 07:09 PM

So, just because Alabama and Auburn do it, we should do it? And personally, I think they are both dumb for playing those games as well.

Dawgcentral
11-10-2014, 07:32 PM
We can beat Bama ( #5 on the road ) and OM (currently #10 on the road ). That should resolve any questions and/or doubt.

Who's made reservations in Atlanta? What's our official hotel?

mic
11-10-2014, 08:07 PM

I can guarantee you if Aub or Bama were undefeated with our schedule no one would be making a big deal about anything..
Example.. This years LSU team a few weeks was the worse they have put on the field in a decade.. Yet you would think Bama just went in there and beat a top five team this past weekend..