PDA

View Full Version : 2 SEC teams in playoff? Cowherd just said SEC might not get ANY team in.

MadDawg
11-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Said the Bearsharks got eliminated last week. Auburn got eliminated Saturday. He actually said us beating Alabama would eliminate them. Now get this - he then said and MSU could lose to Mississippi to end the season and be eliminated too.

Does he really think a 11-1 SEC team will be left out?

I think he's crazy, but it also emphasizes why we don't need to be counting on that committee to "do the right thing".

MSUDawg4Life
11-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Not even worth discussing.

Jack Lambert
11-10-2014, 11:31 AM
He's just making radio talk. Now if State wins the West with one lose and loses the SEC championship game then there might not be a SEC team in the championship.

I think who ever wins the West regardless if it is two lose or one they get in. The committee is going to give credit to the conference. Theres a reason why ole miss only dropped to 11 after losing to Auburn.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Zero chance. We would have to lose to Lil Sister AND the SEC Championship game to be left out. They aren't going to leave out the winner of the toughest league in football, unless it is a 2 or 3 loss SEC East team.

Colin is just trying to get dials tuned to his show in SEC country. He isn't an idiot.

State82
11-10-2014, 11:33 AM
He's a complete idiot. That scenario puts us in Atlanta. Therefore it is impossible for us to finish 11-1. We win in Atlanta it's a slam dunk that we are in.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-10-2014, 11:36 AM
He's biased towards the Pac-12, Big Ten (ohio state), and big market cities and always has been. It eats him up that the SEC is dominating college football and he's doing everything he can to diminish it. It's funny that he's pimping Ohio State now, who in the hell have they beaten?

missouridawg
11-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Bear with me on this one... but Colin is right.

MSU beats Bama, loses at OM. Goes to SEC title game at 11-1. Loses to Mizzou/UF. Finishes 11-2.

Is Mizzou/UF getting the playoff? Cause MSU at 11-2 with back-to-back losses ain't. Bama with two losses ain't. Auburn with three losses ain't. OM with 2 losses ain't. LSU with 3 losses ain't.

Now let's take us out of this...

We lose to Bama and OM. Bama goes to SEC title game and loses. Finishes 11-2. They ain't going either.

Oregon/Arizona State at 12-1
TCU/Baylor at 11-1
Ohio State 11-1
FSU at 11-1 or 12-0

All of those teams would be in the playoff over a 11-2 SEC team.

Is that indicative of the best 4 teams in the nation? Nope. But the committee could easily put those 4 in.

missouridawg
11-10-2014, 11:39 AM
He's biased towards the Pac-12, Big Ten (ohio state), and big market cities and always has been.

This couldn't be more incorrect. He's biased towards big-market teams. Including Bama, Florida, LSU, Georgia... which is why he's making this statement. He thinks Bama is going to beat us and is basing that solely on Bama's name.

drunkernhelldawg
11-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Beat Bama and Vandy and we should already be in. Some of it depends on what other teams do. I see his point, except regarding us.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Colin is admittingly all about ratings. He has said that he doesn't want MSU in the playoff because it's bad for his business. He is just trying to create controversy. I understand how his sound bytes can come across, but I listen to him every day and love him. He readily admits that the SEC is the best conference and that is why he thinks they beat each other out.

I'll say this, if the SEC gets left out of the playoff, there will be 8 teams in the playoff next year.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-10-2014, 11:48 AM
This couldn't be more incorrect. He's biased towards big-market teams. Including Bama, Florida, LSU, Georgia... which is why he's making this statement. He thinks Bama is going to beat us and is basing that solely on Bama's name.

Easy there Nancy, you're not the only person to ever listen to his show....if there's even a glimmer of Oregon or Ohio State making it to the playoffs, he's going to pimp them to no end. Ar you telling me that the only big market teams reside in the SEC?

curmudgeon
11-10-2014, 11:48 AM
The only way I see that the SEC gets zero is if Missouri/Georgia/Florida beats a one loss Mississippi State or a one-loss Alabama AND Ole Miss beats MSU.

Playoff Locks
Florida State - likely goes unbeaten
Oregon/Arizona State winner

Two more spots in this order:
1. Undefeated or 1-loss SEC Champion
2. 1 loss TCU or 1 loss Baylor
3. 1 loss Ohio State or 1 loss Nebraska
4. 2 loss SEC Champion

So to break it down, here are the teams vying for four playoff spots.

1. Mississippi State. Controls own destiny. If only one loss, is probably in as the 4 seed. Out with two losses.
2. Florida State. Boston College, Miami, Florida, Duke. Schedule strength makes for a zero margin of error. Likely out with one loss.
3. Oregon. Colorado, Oregon State, Arizona State. Already has a loss, so can't afford another. Pac 12 Championship is likely a quarterfinal game if ASU keeps winning.
4. TCU. Has an easy schedule to finish, but has a loss to Baylor, so this is interesting to watch.
5. Alabama. Has to win out against MSU, Auburn and SEC East champion. Out with another loss.
6. Arizona State. Likely in if they win out. Only scenario that a 1 loss ASU is left out? Pitted against a 1 loss Mississippi State with a close loss to Alabama, that 63-29 thrashing from USC will keep them out, even as the Pac 12 Champion.
7. Baylor. Crappy schedule hurts them. But they beat TCU. Obviously can't lose again, and needs TCU to drop a game.
8. Ohio State. Needs to win out and get a lot of help. That Virginia Tech loss is bad.
9. Nebraska. In the same mold as Ohio State - has to win out and get some help.
10. Auburn. The only current two loss team that I can't completely eliminate. They have to win the SEC, which means winning out, having MSU lose two. They would also need Oregon, TCU, Arizona State and the OSU/Nebraska winner to drop a second game.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Colin is admittingly all about ratings. He has said that he doesn't want MSU in the playoff because it's bad for his business. He is just trying to create controversy. I understand how his sound bytes can come across, but I listen to him every day and love him. He readily admits that the SEC is the best conference and that is why he thinks they beat each other out.

I'll say this, if the SEC gets left out of the playoff, there will be 8 teams in the playoff next year.

He's wishy washy at best...hell, he thought Auburn was the best team until aTm.

MetEdDawg
11-10-2014, 11:52 AM
I think Cowherd is actually fairly close to being right. Here's the current scenario:

FSU should be a playoff shoe in at this point as long as they don't lose again which I don't think they will. TCU 100% gets in if Bama loses to us, but there might be some conflict there if we lose a close one. Oregon and Arizona State most likely meet in their conference championship and if one of those teams only has one loss (especially if it's Oregon), they are in. That's 2 slots taken, with TCU having a solid claim to the 3rd. Now who gets the 4th?

If we run the table or go 12-1 I think we are in. If not our playoff shot is pretty much done. I don't think the committee would put us ahead of a Baylor or Ohio State that only has one loss. Just don't think they do. So I think it's very possible for there to not be an SEC team. Bama beats us, loses to Auburn which vaults TCU ahead of them. Now FSU, TCU, and ASU/Oregon winner are in. We go to Atlanta and lose and I think a team like Ohio State gets that last bid in.

SDDawg
11-10-2014, 11:58 AM
MSU in the playoff is GOOD for ratings, that's what people don't get. People don't want Bama/Notre Dame 2.0 again, and they don't want FSU either outside of Tallahassee. It's our time, we just have to keep taking care of business.

missouridawg
11-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Easy there Nancy, you're not the only person to ever listen to his show....if there's even a glimmer of Oregon or Ohio State making it to the playoffs, he's going to pimp them to no end. Ar you telling me that the only big market teams reside in the SEC?

Not telling you that at all. Cowherd pimps the SEC every chance he gets. He's a big fan of the conference. Not sure how you miss this.