PDA

View Full Version : Sumlin

msstate7
11-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Everyone still think he's the 2nd coming?

I said last year that aTm should USC take him. Instead aTm severly overpaid him.

RIdog
11-08-2014, 07:34 AM
Might be ok with a decent DC .

msstate7
11-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Perhaps.

aTm is paying sumlin 5 million a year, so I think they want more than decent.

Jack Lambert
11-08-2014, 07:57 AM
I have never thought that. He has always been lucky with a QB that was already on the campus when he arrived. Four seasons at Houston. Three winning and one losing. The three winning he had keenum and the one losing he did not. His first two years at A&M were good but he had Johnny Football and now he doesn't and you see what he gets.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Wait till you see what he walks out at QB next year.

bulldawg28
11-08-2014, 08:27 AM
He's always had a veteran Qb. Manziel is the exception to the rule. Once his Qbs mature his team will again put up big numbers.

GreenheadDawg
11-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Wait till you see what he walks out at QB next year.

So the new guy is that good? What's his name I forgot and I'm too lazy to look it up

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2014, 09:13 AM
So the new guy is that good? What's his name I forgot and I'm too lazy to look it up

Not on campus yet. Next year, they'll likely start Kyler Murray, who is the #1 QB in the country and current QB at Allen High School. He's never lost a game as a starter in his high school career and Allen has won 3 straight state championship.

Murray has been described as Russell Wilson with better speed. The kid's dad was a an All American at A&M back in the 80s and his uncle played Major League Baseball. He is poised, smart, has a good arm, runs a 4.3, and can stop on a dime and give 9 cents change. He's more talented than Manziel.

That being said, he'll be a true freshman. Starting in the SEC next year, so hopefully there's an adjustment period.

KB21
11-08-2014, 09:33 AM

He had one. His name was Tim DeRuyter, who is now the head coach at Fresno State. His defenses at TAMU were notably horrific though. This isn't something that is coming from the coordinator. This is a lack of attention and detail being paid to the defense by the head coach. They have players, as they have recruited well. What they don't do is emphasize defense at all. He's an offensive minded head coach in the mold of Mike Leach, who doesn't think you need to play defense or run the ball to win.

Really Clark?
11-08-2014, 10:04 AM
He had one. His name was Tim DeRuyter, who is now the head coach at Fresno State. His defenses at TAMU were notably horrific though. This isn't something that is coming from the coordinator. This is a lack of attention and detail being paid to the defense by the head coach. They have players, as they have recruited well. What they don't do is emphasize defense at all. He's an offensive minded head coach in the mold of Mike Leach, who doesn't think you need to play defense or run the ball to win.

He was before Sumlin came.

MSUDawg4Life
11-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Not on campus yet. Next year, they'll likely start Kyler Murray, who is the #1 QB in the country and current QB at Allen High School. He's never lost a game as a starter in his high school career and Allen has won 3 straight state championship.

Murray has been described as Russell Wilson with better speed. The kid's dad was a an All American at A&M back in the 80s and his uncle played Major League Baseball. He is poised, smart, has a good arm, runs a 4.3, and can stop on a dime and give 9 cents change. He's more talented than Manziel.

That being said, he'll be a true freshman. Starting in the SEC next year, so hopefully there's an adjustment period.

Won't matter without a defense.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Won't matter without a defense.

Agree

smootness
11-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Sumlin is obviously overrated. The guy won 8 even with Manziel. I hope he stays at A&M for a long time.

And you're going a little overboard on Kyler Murray. The guy is good, but we don't know what he'll be at the next level. Russell Wilson has literally everything you could ever want at QB except height.

The thing that makes Wilson amazing isn't his athleticism. It's his passing ability along with his understanding of football and his leadership.

Mutt the Hoople
11-08-2014, 10:54 AM
I work with an a&M alum who reads all the "Insider" message boards. Kevin Sumlin can recruit very well. However, Texas high schools have all gone to the Big 12 Spread Offenses, which requires everyone on defense to be fast. All the large-bodies, if they play, are on the offensive line.

They have Linebackers and Secondary out the wazoo, but have surprisingly few 5-* defensive linemen to recruit (well, the same level d-linemen you get in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, and Florida).

Also, the Aggies linebacker corps is crap this year. Most of their best LB recruits from a couple of years ago either got injured and had to quit football, arrested, or transferred to Divison 1-AA. A&M has some talented Freshmen, but they've had to take their lumps this year.

I don't know...maybe they can move some of the offensive linemen to defense they might be able to match up physically.

Sacrifice
11-08-2014, 11:01 AM
I wonder how that's gonna set with Kyle Allen who was the #1 rated 5* QB coming out of high school last year. Kid had an offer sheet a mile long.

missouridawg
11-08-2014, 11:09 AM

The current freshman on their roster was the #1 QB recruit in the nation last year too...

dawgs
11-08-2014, 11:23 AM

There's plenty of HCs that don't touch one side of the ball, like spurrier. A&M needs to hope muschamp doesn't win himself another year at florida so they can hire him at DC. That'd be terrifying fast.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2014, 11:25 AM
The current freshman on their roster was the #1 QB recruit in the nation last year too...

Kyle Allen and Kenny Hill will likely transfer. Murray is more athletic and talented than both of them. Plus, Murray is the man crush of the entire Texas A&M fanbase, so Sumlin will play him.

My guess is that Kenny Hill transfers to Blinn or somewhere else, and then transfers to another school

Coach34
11-08-2014, 11:26 AM

arent they now playing the #1 QB recruit from last year? Made his 1st start last week and struggled with Monroe

A&M's problem is mostly defense...but they certainly need to grow up on offense

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2014, 11:36 AM
arent they now playing the #1 QB recruit from last year? Made his 1st start last week and struggled with Monroe

A&M's problem is mostly defense...but they certainly need to grow up on offense

Yes, Kyle Allen was the number 1 QB last year, but, from what I've heard from people in the know, he kinda of falls into the Jeff Driskel category of QBs that have all the tools and size and look great in showcase settings, but simply doesn't see the game and is not very good when the lights go on. I have buddy that saw him play a lot last year in Arizona in high school, and he says he was very average on Friday nights, and never played the part of his ranking.

On other hand, Murray is just the opposite. He dominates Texas High School football every Friday night, has all the tools, and I don't think he's lost a game since he took over at QB for Allen High School as a 15 year old. From everyone that I've talked to that would have a good idea of what's going on, Murray will be given every opportunity to win the starting job in the Spring, and they would be shocked if he doesn't win it.

Also, FWIW, if Murray chooses to play baseball, he'll likely go in the first round of the MLB draft with an Andrew McCutchen like toolset. He's that kind of athlete

Barkman Turner Overdrive
11-08-2014, 11:57 AM
A&M needs to hope muschamp doesn't win himself another year at florida so they can hire him at DC. That'd be terrifying fast.

Why does everyone parrot this line? Thujone from Shaggybevo has a better chance at being the next DC at aTm than Boom. After winning at Kyle Field in 2012, Boom made some comments that were not too flattering about the aTm fanbase and College Station.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2014, 12:00 PM
From what I've heard Muschamp is far more likely to go to Florida State than A&M.

FSU fans aren't pleased with their defense this year, and it is also known that Fisher and Muschamp are best friends and co-own a beach house together.

Throw in the fact that Muschamp coached at Texas and isn't terribly fond of A&M, and many thing Muschamp is bound for Tallahassee rather than College Station.

dawgs
11-08-2014, 05:49 PM
From what I've heard Muschamp is far more likely to go to Florida State than A&M.

FSU fans aren't pleased with their defense this year, and it is also known that Fisher and Muschamp are best friends and co-own a beach house together.

Throw in the fact that Muschamp coached at Texas and isn't terribly fond of A&M, and many thing Muschamp is bound for Tallahassee rather than College Station.

1) muschamp went to and played football at GEORGIA and has now been the DC at one of their rivals (auburn) and the HC at another of their rivals (florida). i don't think previously being the DC at texas would give him any hesitation about taking the a&m DC gig.

2) a&m can and will offer to pay him more than f$u. now the fisher/muschamp friendship might play a role, but we'll see. i'd think you'd be able to better maintain your friendship by not adding a HC/DC role to the equation.

bulldawg28
11-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Hey OP, Question answered.

msstate7
11-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Hey OP, Question answered.

Not really, but it was a great win.