PDA

View Full Version : Braxton Miller?

Big4Dawg
11-06-2014, 05:19 PM
I saw a topic on an OM message board about Braxton Miller transferring and being able to play next year. There is speculation that Braxton Miller has lost his job at OSU and is looking at transferring. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2255756-how-braxton-miller-could-be-college-footballs-hottest-recruit-of-2015)

Let's say Dak cuts the INT down, and go on to go 15-0. Can you think of a better situation for a 5th senior QB to transfer into to?

1) Damion doesn't seem like our QB of the future.
2) It would give the 'freshmen' a chance to get their feet with next year.
3) We are the hottest name in football right now.
4) Dan and Urban pretty much run the same system. Braxton could walk in knowing majority of the playbook.
5) With Dak's success, we have finally showed we can have QB success.

I can't think of a better situation for him to walk into. We return a lot on offense and should field a good team, just one giant hole (if Dak goes pro), and that's QB.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2014, 05:25 PM
He won't be allowed to transfer to a SEC team. Masoli rule. You would think if any fanbase knew that it would be OM.

Dawg61
11-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Dak won't be going pro but if he did I agree it'd be a good fit for Miller but not so much for our QB chemistry. We'd have five very pissed of QBs behind Miller.

defiantdog
11-06-2014, 05:27 PM
If that's really the case with Braxton, then I don't want him. If he left, he's basically saying that he doesn't want to fight for his job back..... who wants a guy like that on their team? Those type of premadonnas go to OM anyways..... hopefully that's not true about Braxton.

Dawg61
11-06-2014, 05:28 PM
He won't be allowed to transfer to a SEC team. Masoli rule. You would think if any fanbase knew that it would be OM.

Not correct. Barton transferred to Tennessee basketball last year as a Senior from Memphis.

Rick Danko
11-06-2014, 05:29 PM
No

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2014, 05:30 PM
It's only for football you can still transfer with 1yr in basketball.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 05:32 PM
The Masoli rule is only activated if you were dismissed from your team.

Miller could transfer anywhere of his choosing, so long as he is a 5th year senior and has graduated from undergrad. Under those circumstances, he would be subject to the same rules as Jacob Coker

AROB44
11-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Dak won't be going pro but if he did I agree it'd be a good fit for Miller but not so much for our QB chemistry. We'd have five very pissed of QBs behind Miller.

This happened (not QB's) in Jackie's tenure with the Ariz Jucos.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2014, 05:41 PM
The Masoli rule is only activated if you were dismissed from your team.

Miller could transfer anywhere of his choosing, so long as he is a 5th year senior and has graduated from undergrad. Under those circumstances, he would be subject to the same rules as Jacob Coker

Not true. The reason Coker was allowed to transfer was bc he had 2 years of eligibility left.

Dallas_Dawg
11-06-2014, 05:42 PM
No. Why would we want a reject Big Ten quarterback.
We are the SEC

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Not true. The reason Coker was allowed to transfer was bc he had 2 years of eligibility left.

Nope, Russell Wilson fell under the same rule when he went to Wisconsin

Jacob Coker is going from backing up Jameis Winston to trying to replace AJ McCarron. The former Florida State quarterback is transferring to Alabama and will be eligible to play next season.

Coach Nick Saban announced Sunday that Coker has signed with the Crimson Tide.

"We think a lot of Jake and we are excited to have him join our team," Saban said in a statement. "He is not only an outstanding football player, but he is also a fine young man who we feel will be a great fit with our program at Alabama."

Coker, who will be a junior next season, is on target to graduate in May. NCAA rules allow graduate students to transfer without sitting out a season, as usually required.

Coker's high school coach, Steve Mask of St. Paul's Episcopal School in Mobile, Ala., said Coker was "ecstatic" about going to Alabama after a weekend visit to campus.

"I was very impressed with everything on my visit to Tuscaloosa," Coker said. "I feel very comfortable with the coaches and the players, and I'm looking forward to getting started at Alabama and competing. I also want to thank my coaches and teammates at Florida State. I had a great experience there and I'm excited to build on that at Alabama."

Coker competed with Winston for the starting job at Florida State last the spring and preseason, and by all accounts put up a good fight. Winston was just too good. He went on to win the Heisman Trophy as a redshirt freshman and Coker played sparingly for the Seminoles.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Coker completed 18-of-36 passes for 250 yards and an interception. He tore cartilage in his knee on Nov. 9 against Wake Forest and missed the rest of the season. He was still on crutches at the national championship game.

"He's a class act," Mask said. "A humble kid. Everything you'd want in a player."

Coker will be tossed into the mix of Alabama quarterbacks looking to replace McCarron, the departed Heisman finalist and three-year Tide starter who also played at St. Paul's.

"In some ways they are very similar," Mask said. "Both have tremendous leadership skills."

The only other quarterback on Alabama's roster who has thrown a pass in college is Blake Sims, who will be a senior. Alec Morris will be a sophomore next season after getting a little game action as a redshirt freshman in 2013. Highly touted recruit Cooper Bateman redshirted this past season. Incoming star recruit David Cornwell is already enrolled in school and expected to participate in Alabama's spring practice.

Whichever quarterback wins the job will be leading another loaded offense. Alabama returns star T.J. Yeldon and promising Derrick Henry at running back, receiver Amari Cooper and tight end O.J. Howard.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2014, 05:44 PM
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/jon-solomon/24574013/sec-considers-ending-ban-on-accepting-graduate-student-transfers

This article breaks it down.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Nope, Russell Wilson fell under the same rule when he went to Wisconsin

I said SEC rule not NCAA.

msstate7
11-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Miller is a damn good qb imo. We can't get him, but if we could, I'd take him

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Russell Wilson

The best rule in college sports got people in Madison jumping around on Monday.

Maybe Russell Wilson wants to try to lead a team to the Rose Bowl. Maybe he knows tailbacks James White and Montee Ball will inspire so much fear in opposing defenses that he'll have more time to throw. Maybe he simply wants to go to Wando's on Free Bacon Tuesday.

It doesn't matter why the most sought after free agent in college football this season chose to go to Wisconsin to play his final season of eligibility. What matters is that Wilson was allowed to make the move by the only NCAA rule that actually rewards student-athletes for taking care of the "student" side of the equation.

Wilson, a Colorado Rockies minor-leaguer who cut short his single-A season to play one more year of college football, can play immediately at Wisconsin because he already earned a bachelor's degree (in communications) at N.C. State. The NCAA allows a one-time exception for graduate students that eliminates the sit-out year that accompanies most transfers. As long as Wilson enrolls in a graduate program at Wisconsin that N.C. State doesn't offer, he can play in 2011.

The grad student exception is the best rule in the books because it is the only one that offers a positive incentive for athletes. The NCAA has a thick manual that tells athletes what they can't do. Don't write messages on your eye black. Don't plan on playing immediately if you change your mind about where you want to attend school. Don't cash in on your fame even if your coach makes $3,000 per minute of regulation play.

The graduate transfer exception is the one regulation that tells athletes what they can do. If an athlete takes care of business in the classroom, he can earn one period of free agency that would allow him to play a year or -- if he really bore down in class -- two at another school. Coaches always talk about wanting to graduate players. This particular carrot might be the thing that inspires a player unhappy with his situation to keep going to class.

Wilson's free agency was a direct result of the rule in more than one way. This past spring, N.C. State coach Tom O'Brien had to decide whether Wilson or redshirt junior Mike Glennon would start for the Wolfpack. Why? Because Glennon earned a business degree in three years. Had O'Brien picked Wilson, Glennon could have declared himself a free agent and played somewhere else this season.

That's only fair. Why should Glennon have had to sit out a year if he chose to transfer to another FBS school? Did O'Brien have to sit out a year when he left Boston College for a bigger paycheck at N.C. State after the 2006 season? Of course not.

Obviously, allowing every player to transfer without penalty would lead to anarchy. But this rule doesn't apply to every player. It applies to the ones who make a degree a priority. If things go sideways after three or four years at a school, they should have the right to finish their careers at a place that makes them happy if they held up their side of the bargain in the classroom.

The SEC would disagree. After Oct. 1, the league won't allow any more graduate transfer exceptions for players with only one year of eligibility remaining. (Players such as Glennon, who has two years of eligibility remaining, would still be eligible to transfer and play immediately.) The SEC rescinded the exceptions after it got embarrassed when quarterback Jeremiah Masoli, who had been booted from Oregon's team, used the rule to transfer and play right away at Ole Miss.

Yes, that looked bad. But one abuse shouldn't cause the elimination of a rule that can motivate others to graduate. And yes, most of these transfers -- from Ryan Smith at Florida to Greg Paulus at Syracuse to Masoli at Ole Miss -- are undertaken with sports in mind. But so are most signings out of high school. If FBS-bound football players truly valued education over sports, Stanford, Duke and Vanderbilt would have the top three signing classes every year.

If Wilson succeeds at Wisconsin, he might inspire others to take the fast track toward a degree. And Wilson is in a fine position, if he can learn the offense and beat out redshirt sophomore Jon Budmayr. At N.C. State, Wilson had to create a lot with his legs. Thanks to White, Ball, and a line that returns three starters, he won't have to do that at Wisconsin. Still, defenses will have to respect Wilson's ability to run. Wilson will need to raise his passing efficiency numbers if he hopes to duplicate what Scott Tolzein gave the Badgers last year, but Wilson has proved he can take care of the football. Remember, he set an NCAA record during the 2008 and 2009 seasons, when he threw 379 passes without an interception.

Wilson also attended a few classes during those years, and that's how he earned his free agency. We spend so much time complaining about the rules NCAA schools get wrong. Monday was a day to celebrate the one they absolutely got right.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2014, 05:50 PM
After the Masoli affair, SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said he wished every other conference would use the SEC’s current policy, which requires athletes to have at least two years of eligibility left to transfer into the league. The SEC does provide some waivers to graduate transfers on an individual basis.

msstate7
11-06-2014, 05:52 PM
What effect if any will slive being a lame duck have on decisions like this?

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 05:53 PM
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/jon-solomon/24574013/sec-considers-ending-ban-on-accepting-graduate-student-transfers

This article breaks it down.

I stand corrected. I didn't realize the SEC had it's own rule

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2014, 05:56 PM
No worries. Yea Slive didn't like the precedent it set. A kid could get kicked off his previous school & then this loophole allowed him to not have any consequences as long as he'd graduated.

Goat Holder
11-06-2014, 06:03 PM
This is so damn dumb, and shows why Bleacher Report is only interested in getting hits rather than putting out compelling news stories. Or they are really just stupid.

Braxton Miller is the QB for tOSU next year. If there is anything that has been proven, in the age of running QBs, QBs get hurt. Having two capable ones might just be what makes the differences for them. Not mention that guy will be a RSo. next year, probably still play a good bit, then can be the seasoned vet in 2016.

Then this quote:

"You hate to see a kid leave his school," said Bleacher Report NFL draft lead analyst Matt Miller. "But for his career, I think the best thing would be going to somewhere that?s going to run a little bit more of a pro-style offense and where he would get on the field right away."
.....by Bleacher Report's so called NFL draft analyst, is f*cking retarded. It's been proven by now that you maximize your strengths, and you'll be more attractive to the NFL. Trying to change into a drop-back guy would mean going against Miller's strengths and he would likely regress.

Stay in Columbus, Miller, for your own damn good. I honestly bet he hasn't even entertained transferring. Stupid hack writers.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 06:07 PM
This is so damn dumb, and shows why Bleacher Report is only interested in getting hits rather than putting out compelling news stories. Or they are really just stupid.

Braxton Miller is the QB for tOSU next year. If there is anything that has been proven, in the age of running QBs, QBs get hurt. Having two capable ones might just be what makes the differences for them. Not mention that guy will be a RSo. next year, probably still play a good bit, then can be the seasoned vet in 2016.

Then this quote:

.....by Bleacher Report's so called NFL draft analyst, is f*cking retarded. It's been proven by now that you maximize your strengths, and you'll be more attractive to the NFL. Trying to change into a drop-back guy would mean going against Miller's strengths and he would likely regress.

Stay in Columbus, Miller, for your own damn good. I honestly bet he hasn't even entertained transferring. Stupid hack writers.

Good thoughts...

Have you made your video yet this week? I am watching Mr. Finebaum right now, and haven't seen this week's video yet

Political Hack
11-06-2014, 06:13 PM
regardless, Nicky Fitz and Staley will battle it out for the starting job in two years as far as I'm concerned.

if anyone is assuming something other than that will happen, you're probably wrong. We develop our players and we don't rely on transfers to run our offense.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Don't sleep on Virgil. By spring 2016 he'll have added the needed muscle & will be getting ready to go through his 2nd spring. He will throw his hat in the ring to grab the starting job.

Goat Holder
11-06-2014, 06:16 PM
That dude ain't beating out Tiano. Doubt he even stays at QB.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Virgil? Are you serious? You mean the highest rated & most recruited QB Mullen has ever gotten to commit. We'll see.

msstate7
11-06-2014, 07:03 PM
I don't care which of the 5 is the starter in 2 years. I have a feeling whoever wins will be pretty good

msstate7
11-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Virgil? Are you serious? You mean the highest rated & most recruited QB Mullen has ever gotten to commit. We'll see.

If it's virgil, do you think mullen goes to leak/tebow mode using a bigger qb to pound away

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Maybe so. I think Virgil will be an effective runner just not a pounder more to the outside.