PDA

View Full Version : Good Playoff Overview

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 02:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1x9zknIAAARq5V.jpg

Political Hack
11-06-2014, 02:24 PM
this is going to look very, very different next week. 10 of the top 12 teams have a very losable game this week.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 02:26 PM
this is going to look very, very different next week. 10 of the top 12 teams have a very losable game this week.

Hopefully it looks completely different and everyone but us loses. Notice we are the only team that can probably absorb a loss.

Political Hack
11-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Hopefully it looks completely different and everyone but us loses. Notice we are the only team that can probably absorb a loss.

If LSU beats Bama, we're almost certainly in with only 1 loss.

BeardoMSU
11-06-2014, 02:29 PM
We just need to worry about getting to Atlanta. We do that, and we'll be fine.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 02:32 PM

Yes, this is obvious. Not sure why people feel it is necessary to continue to say this. We get it

BeardoMSU
11-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Yes, this is obvious. Not sure why people feel it is necessary to continue to say this. We get it

Don't get touchy, Shotgun, I wasn't trying to piss in your cereal.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Don't get touchy, Shotgun, I wasn't trying to piss in your cereal.

It wasn't my cereal, it was simply a conversation starter. It's just very obvious that all we have to do is win out, and saying that brings nothing to the conversation since everyone perfectly realizes that reality.

mic
11-06-2014, 02:44 PM
#11 is out no matter what happens...

PMDawg
11-06-2014, 02:53 PM
People keep talking about 2 SEC teams in the playoff....if that happens, there is no scenario where we are not one of the two teams. The SEC can only get 2 teams if we make it. Hey Slive, can we get some of that good ole fashioned "protection" on your way out?

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 02:58 PM
People keep talking about 2 SEC teams in the playoff....if that happens, there is no scenario where we are not one of the two teams. The SEC can only get 2 teams if we make it. Hey Slive, can we get some of that good ole fashioned "protection" on your way out?

Strong point. Yes, if Slive wants two SEC teams, we need to be protected

Political Hack
11-06-2014, 02:58 PM

I don't think we can lose two and get in. I think we can lose one.

maroonmania
11-06-2014, 03:02 PM

If we go to Atlanta undefeated we are very likely fine regardless (hopefully). If we go to Atlanta with 1 loss and absorb another loss in the SEC title game I would think we are likely out.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 03:06 PM
If we go to Atlanta undefeated we are very likely fine regardless (hopefully). If we go to Atlanta with 1 loss and absorb another loss in the SEC title game I would think we are likely out.

I agree with this. If we make it to Atlanta and lose, I think we are still in.

The real question is if we make it to Atlanta with one loss and lose in Atlanta, who gets in?

Does Auburn really pass us when we won the West and beat Auburn, although Auburn may only have 1 loss and we would have 2 losses?

HSVDawg
11-06-2014, 03:42 PM
So as far as who we root for / against, I think it should be this way (maximizes the number of losses for all other teams in contention):

1) Root against FSU, Oregon, and Alabama the rest of the way.
2) Root against Auburn until the Iron Bowl. If we beat Alabama, the Iron Bowl shouldn't matter. If we lose to Alabama, we need Auburn to win the Iron Bowl.
3) Root for Kansas State against TCU. Kansas State still had WVU and Baylor left, whereas TCU has no one of note left on their schedule.
4) Take your pick in regards to Michigan State - OSU, but it is in MSU's best interests for one of them to win the regular season matchup, and the other to win the likely rematch in the B1G title game.
5) Root for ASU against Notre Dame. Their schedule is tougher going forward, and they have a likely championship date with Oregon.

maroonmania
11-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Does Auburn really pass us when we won the West and beat Auburn, although Auburn may only have 1 loss and we would have 2 losses?

I think in that scenario the answer would be yes due to Auburn having the #1 SOS and the same record as us (prior to the SEC championshio game). They would have lost to us head to head but it was a road game for them.

BeardoMSU
11-06-2014, 03:54 PM

I would think so too. Being able to manage the rigor of the SEC west will not go unnoticed. I'm actually not worried about who we face in Atlanta (likely Georgia or Mizzu); both match up well with us, IMO.

PMDawg
11-06-2014, 05:19 PM
I don't think we can lose two and get in. I think we can lose one.

Who said any different?

blacklistedbully
11-06-2014, 06:34 PM
So as far as who we root for / against, I think it should be this way (maximizes the number of losses for all other teams in contention):

1) Root against FSU, Oregon, and Alabama the rest of the way.
2) Root against Auburn until the Iron Bowl. If we beat Alabama, the Iron Bowl shouldn't matter. If we lose to Alabama, we need Auburn to win the Iron Bowl.
3) Root for Kansas State against TCU. Kansas State still had WVU and Baylor left, whereas TCU has no one of note left on their schedule.
4) Take your pick in regards to Michigan State - OSU, but it is in MSU's best interests for one of them to win the regular season matchup, and the other to win the likely rematch in the B1G title game.
5) Root for ASU against Notre Dame. Their schedule is tougher going forward, and they have a likely championship date with Oregon.

Would disagree with #5. ND still has Louisville & @ USC in a rivalry game. AZ gets Wash State & Oregon State, both struggling this year.

LeakyD
11-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Personally, I don't see how we're out with only one loss unless it's a blowout. The committee kept Ole Miss in with one quality win and a loss to LSU. Unless they go against that precedent, we're in. Any loss we would have would be better than an LSU loss, plus we would have more quality wins, having played our full schedule. If LSU is a quality loss, then surely it is a quality win. Couple that with the best win so far of any team (Auburn) and a road win over Alabama or Ole Miss.

DawgPoundtheRock
11-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Is there a scenario where no SEC teams make it to the playoff? We lose to Bama and Vandy (can't bring myself to contemplate losing the EB). Bama beats AU. Bama loses to LSU. All are now 2 loss teams. Does the SEC west schedule carry enough weight to jump some of the 1 loss teams? Might for AU because of the KState win.

Political Hack
11-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Personally, I don't see how we're out with only one loss unless it's a blowout. The committee kept Ole Miss in with one quality win and a loss to LSU. Unless they go against that precedent, we're in. Any loss we would have would be better than an LSU loss, plus we would have more quality wins, having played our full schedule. If LSU is a quality loss, then surely it is a quality win. Couple that with the best win so far of any team (Auburn) and a road win over Alabama or Ole Miss.

depends on what others do a little bit, but in large I agree. We can't have a "bad loss" at this point so no 2-loss team or anyone with a loss outside the top 10 could pass us. I could see a 1 loss conference champion like KState/TCU and Oregon getting in, along with an undefeated FSU and Bama is they can get to and win the SECCG. That's about the only way I could see them keeping us out at 5.

Political Hack
11-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Is there a scenario where no SEC teams make it to the playoff? We lose to Bama and Vandy (can't bring myself to contemplate losing the EB). Bama beats AU. Bama loses to LSU. All are now 2 loss teams. Does the SEC west schedule carry enough weight to jump some of the 1 loss teams? Might for AU because of the KState win.

technically it's "possible" if we all end up with 2 losses, which is incredibly unlikely without the SEC West champ losing to whoever wins the east.

smootness
11-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Guys, after 10 weeks of college football, we are the only team in the country who can lose a game and still likely make the first ever college football playoff. Just think about that until it sinks in.