PDA

View Full Version : Bjork writes letter to Opelika-Auburn Newspaper

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Ole Miss is coming close to being a Texas A&M like cult that no one else seems to have the mental intelligence to accurately understand.

http://m.oanow.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/article_3871815e-6571-11e4-8573-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

Letter: Ole Miss AD disappointed in picture
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on pinterest_shareMore Sharing Services
Updated 9 hours ago

After careful thought and consideration, I feel compelled to express my disappointment in the way you reported the outcome of the Auburn vs. Ole Miss game. Specifically, the way you sensationalized a moment with a grossly depicted image that affects a young man?s life. Furthermore, your response to criticism from readers could be described as nothing short of digging your heels in. Quite simply and most disappointing, you showed no signs of remorse for the incredible lapse of judgment.

We run our athletics department with a well-defined purpose, and we operate daily using seven core values to guide us. Together, those core values comprise our ?line in the sand,? and we will defend them when attacked. It is our belief that your actions are at odds with those of those core values: Student-Athlete Welfare and Social Responsibility. So, it is for that reason that I have written to you.

In closing, we know of no other newspaper that has used such a graphic image of a student-athlete?s injury in such a sensationalist way and sincerely hope you have not created a precedent for this type of crass journalism.

Ross Bjork

Director of Athletics

University of Mississippi

Jacksondevildog
11-06-2014, 09:51 AM
The rebels seriously need to take their ball and go home from the sandbox. If Scott acted this way, I would be embarrassed to be a State graduate. Only that school can take the worst loss emotionally in the history of their program, and turn it into some fanbase bonding American tragedy story.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
11-06-2014, 09:51 AM
They do a lot that is questionable, hilarious, etc... but I don't really see any problem with that letter. The newspaper's running of that particular photo was distasteful, at best.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2014, 09:54 AM
They do a lot that is questionable, hilarious, etc... but I don't really see any problem with that letter. The newspaper's running of that particular photo was distasteful, at best.

There's nothing really wrong with the letter, but I do find it ridiculous that they continue to be so butt hurt that they feel like they have to fight this type of stuff. They are the kid in the sandbox that won't stop crying.

At some point, you have to move on

Maroonthirteen
11-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Memphis paper has published the photo in Mondays paper along with a story about the game. Where is Bjorks and OMs outrage towards the CL?

quickstrike2
11-06-2014, 09:56 AM
They will trash it about as fast as he wrote it. Bears aren't the target market or concern of Auburn newspapers.

Maroonthirteen
11-06-2014, 10:03 AM
I tried listening to that make it rain on BSR. I made it about 5 minutes. When they started discussing how the refs held their hands on flags and waited to the outcome of the play to make a decision on throwing a flag.....I was done.

ScottH
11-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Memphis paper has published the photo in Mondays paper along with a story about the game. Where is Bjorks and OMs outrage towards the CL?

Tweet him.

EAVdog
11-06-2014, 10:19 AM
The Opelika-Auburn News can burn in hell. They are the ones who ran the 'Rented Mule' story with Cecil Newton the Monday or Tuesday after Cam committed to State on his official visit saying that he was not 'ready' to commit. The OAN is a propaganda machine for Aubbies.

Political Hack
11-06-2014, 10:29 AM
that's an incredibly long winded way of saying "I don't like you anymore."

starkvegasdawg
11-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Ole Miss is coming close to being a Texas A&M like cult that no one else seems to have the mental intelligence to accurately understand.

http://m.oanow.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/article_3871815e-6571-11e4-8573-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

Letter: Ole Miss AD disappointed in picture
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on pinterest_shareMore Sharing Services
Updated 9 hours ago

After careful thought and consideration, I feel compelled to express my disappointment in the way you reported the outcome of the Auburn vs. Ole Miss game. Specifically, the way you sensationalized a moment with a grossly depicted image that affects a young man?s life.

Because that picture of him and Bo holding hands with that stupid quote to the side was not sensationalizing his injury.

FlabLoser
11-06-2014, 11:04 AM
I liked that Bjork wrote the paper.

The core values part of it was strange. Ole Miss defends when it's core values are attacked? So everybody's core values have to match Ole Miss's values or they'll fight over it?

shoeless joe
11-06-2014, 11:10 AM
"Social responsibility"? Really? So has bjork written a letter to their football players who haven't met this one?

Thompson92
11-06-2014, 11:22 AM
After careful thought and consideration, I feel compelled to express my disappointment in the way you reported the outcome of the Auburn vs. Ole Miss game. Specifically, the way you sensationalized a moment with a grossly depicted image that affects a young man?s life. Furthermore, your response to criticism from readers could be described as nothing short of digging your heels in. Quite simply and most disappointing, you showed no signs of remorse for the incredible lapse of judgment.

We run our athletics department with a well-defined purpose, and we operate daily using seven core values to guide us. Together, those core values comprise our ?line in the sand,? and we will defend them when attacked. It is our belief that your actions are at odds with those of those core values: Student-Athlete Welfare and Social Responsibility. So, it is for that reason that I have written to you.

In closing, we know of no other newspaper that has used such a graphic image of a student-athlete?s injury in such a sensationalist way and sincerely hope you have not created a precedent for this type of crass journalism.

Ross Bjork

Director of Athletics

University of Mississippi

1) This letter is full of unnecessary vocabulary, run-on sentences, and grammar errors. In the future, get someone from your prestigious English department to proofread your letters.

2) "Seven Core Values":
1. Partying like it's 1850.
2. Pretending to read Faulkner.
3. Unfounded elitism.
4. High fashion standards.
5. Blaming losses on referees or maybe players, but never coaches.
6. Faith as a recruiting tool.
7. The one where professional members of the athletic department threaten to fight people over social media.

3) This is just another example of the same old garbage from them: Lashing out at anyone who talks bad about them, while ignoring the toxic environment they gladly perpetuate. The best part is "used such a graphic image of a student-athlete?s injury in such a sensationalist way" when THEIR OWN ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT IS USING IT AS PR.

Amazing.

codeDawg
11-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Hilarious. Deadspin calls Bjork a "Smarmy ****"

http://deadspin.com/ole-misss-athletic-director-is-a-smarmy-****-1655423167

CadaverDawg
Bjork is the epitome of LITTLE MAN SYNDROME. All that "meet me face to face" and Championship belt stuff, makes him look like a *****. How could their fans not be embarrassed by the crying and moaning and stomping of feet their coach and AD have shown lately. What a bunch of sissies. Man up, Oxford....it's turning into a damn Women's University up there you bunch of mangina's.

Political Hack
I generally like Bjork but I did spot my drink out when I read "social responsibility."

LeakyD
11-06-2014, 11:30 AM
The only thing you won't hear them talk about is how the landshark defense was gashed for over 500 yards.

codeDawg
11-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Bjork is the epitome of LITTLE MAN SYNDROME. All hat "meet me face to face" and Championship belt stuff, makes him look like a *****. How could their fans not be embarrassed by the crying and moaning and stomping of feet their coach and AD have shown lately. What a bunch of sissies. Man up, Oxford....it's turning into a damn Women's University up there you bunch of mangina's.

The bowing up on everybody who doesn't think UM is the fanciest highway exit in the SEC is getting old.

archdog
11-06-2014, 11:42 AM
1) This letter is full of unnecessary vocabulary, run-on sentences, and grammar errors. In the future, get someone from your prestigious English department to proofread your letters.

2) "Seven Core Values":
1. Partying like it's 1850.
2. Pretending to read Faulkner.
3. Unfounded elitism.
4. High fashion standards.
5. Blaming losses on referees or maybe players, but never coaches.
6. Faith as a recruiting tool.
7. The one where professional members of the athletic department threaten to fight people over social media.

3) This is just another example of the same old garbage from them: Lashing out at anyone who talks bad about them, while ignoring the toxic environment they gladly perpetuate. The best part is "used such a graphic image of a student-athlete?s injury in such a sensationalist way" when THEIR OWN ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT IS USING IT AS PR.

Amazing.

Maybe they did get their english department to proof it.

maroonmania
11-06-2014, 11:48 AM
I tried listening to that make it rain on BSR. I made it about 5 minutes. When they started discussing how the refs held their hands on flags and waited to the outcome of the play to make a decision on throwing a flag.....I was done.

I tried to listen to a little of the show but it was nearly unbearable as the 2 OM dweebs on there could do nothing but rant about Auburn apparently having 12 men on the field for nearly half of their offensive plays. Therefore it wasn't a FAIR game. For the life of me if they want to have ONE MSU guy and ONE OM guy doing a show together then OK, but what in the world they have that second banana OM guy on there that adds NOTHING to the show but to be an extra OM irritant is beyond me and makes the show almost impossible to listen to.

M.Fillmore
11-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Because that picture of him and Bo holding hands with that stupid quote to the side was not sensationalizing his injury.

Absolutely correct.

Beyond rivalries, I'm starting to wonder if Bjork is mentally balanced.

LC Dawg
11-06-2014, 12:12 PM
I liked that Bjork wrote the paper.

The core values part of it was strange. Ole Miss defends when it's core values are attacked? So everybody's core values have to match Ole Miss's values or they'll fight over it?

I agree. I don't have a problem with him telling the newspaper what he thought of it but he could have left off the part about the core values and drawing a line in the sand.
I am seriously starting to worry a little about attending the Egg Bowl. That fanbase, led by their athletic administration, is slowly whipping itself into a frenzy now that they realize that they are not as good as us. After we beat them on 11/29 they seriously may burn Oxford and blame it on State fans to try to win public sympathy.

fishwater99
11-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Absolutely correct.

Beyond rivalries, I'm starting to wonder if Bjork is mentally balanced.

It's called roid rage...

Tripp McNeely
11-06-2014, 12:48 PM

So, is he seriously implying that the paper should make sure it's in line with om's "core values" before it writes a story? Surely, i'm not reading that correctly??

M.Fillmore
11-06-2014, 12:57 PM
We run our athletics department with a well-defined purpose, and we operate daily using seven core values to guide us. Together, those core values comprise our "line in the sand," and we will defend them when attacked.

Does Bjork expect the Auburn newspaper to have the OM "7 core values" memorized? This is getting nuttier and nuttier.

If have never heard an OM fan mention the "7 core" to me. But hey, everyone should know them and hold the 7 core close in the Bjorko realm of reality.

smootness
11-06-2014, 01:13 PM
that's an incredibly long winded way of saying "I don't like you anymore."

Exactly. He didn't ask for anything; there was no real purpose in his letter. To end it by saying, 'I hope this doesn't set a precedent' shows that he just wrote it so that it would be printed and everyone would see it. If this letter was simply to the editor and no one else saw it, it would make no sense.

RougeDawg
11-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Does Bjork expect the Auburn newspaper to have the OM "7 core values" memorized? This is getting nuttier and nuttier.

If have never heard an OM fan mention the "7 core" to me. But hey, everyone should know them and hold the 7 core close in the Bjorko realm of reality.

Do these 7 student athlete core values include condoning recreational drug use, fighting, and the use of anti gay slurs?

Im amazed that Bjork has made it this far without bleeding out, given that toilet paper thin skin of his.