PDA

View Full Version : How would we match up w/ Oregon,

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
11-04-2014, 08:30 PM
if the playoff rankings stayed the same and we were to play them in the semi-finals?

TheRef
11-04-2014, 08:31 PM
if the playoff rankings stayed the same and we were to play them in the semi-finals?

It would be interesting. Oregon runs a Auburn-style offense with a bit more passing and speed. Matt Wells would get a workout for sure. I haven't looked at their Defense lately, so I don't know how we would match up there.

dawgs
11-04-2014, 08:41 PM
If dak is healthy, we'd score on them easily. Mariota is capable of throwing the ball on us though, and Devon allen might literally be the fastest player in CFB. Even with the return of OT fisher shoring up the OL for now, I think oregon could struggle against a big physical athletic front 7 like ours though.

I'd guess it'd end up being a 45-35 type game. Of course I thought the auburn-oregon natty was gonna be a shoot out and both teams came out a bit gun shy and it ended up being a moderate scoring game (23-20 or something, right?).

dawgs
11-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Also, Freeman and tyner are every bit the RB duo of williams and Collins at arkansas. Odds are, even if we contain them 95% of the time, they'll break at least 1 big play (I.e. Collins big run), but most likely they'd break a few simply due to mariota' threat as a passer and runner. He'd obviously be the best QB we've faced all season.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2014, 09:04 PM
They are Auburn with much much less physicality. We would dominate the trenches on both sides of the ball, probably run for over 200, and win 48-24

missouridawg
11-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Tweets from RJ Bell say we would be a 1 point favorite over Oregon at neutral field.

Bama line is currently -5.5 for us but could move depending on this weekend. Bama is favored..,,

dawgs
11-04-2014, 09:08 PM
They are Auburn with much much less physicality. We would dominate the trenches on both sides of the ball, probably run for over 200, and win 48-24

Auburn with a much better QB and better RBs is also a way to look at it. I agree we'd dominate the trenches, especially on offense, but I think they'd still get their's on offense.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Auburn with a much better QB and better RBs is also a way to look at it. I agree we'd dominate the trenches, especially on offense, but I think they'd still get their's on offense.

I'll give you that Oregon has a better QB, but Auburn is better at most every other position on the field. Oregon's RBs may be fast, but so are Ole Miss'. Oregon's RBs aren't as good as Artis-Payne and Roc Thomas. Oregon's o-line is brutal. Our d-line would literally pitch a tent in their backfield.

Oregon would score 24-31 on us, but we may score fity on them

Political Hack
11-04-2014, 09:16 PM
shoot out but we would control the ground game and the clock. barring turnovers, we'd manage the game and get a win.

thf24
11-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Of course I thought the auburn-oregon natty was gonna be a shoot out and both teams came out a bit gun shy and it ended up being a moderate scoring game (23-20 or something, right?).

23-19. What was referred to throughout that year as possibly the best offense in college football history, regularly hanging 50-60 on conference opponents, two of them ranked, couldn't score 20 points again a mediocre SEC defense. That game is why I don't make assumptions anymore about how post-season match ups between teams without any common opponents or other direct comparisons will go.

DistrictDawg92
11-04-2014, 09:22 PM
We are a PAC12 offense with a SEC defense. We are also the best team in the nation. I think on a neutral field you would see us handle Oregon about as easy as we handled Auburn at home. I see Oregon as a team like A&M, the only difference is they haven't been deflated yet by playing top 10 SEC teams in multiple weeks. I think Kansas State and FSU are the best two teams that do not play in the SEC.

smootness
11-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Look at the way Oregon has played against the most physical teams on their schedule the last few years...they get beat almost every time. We would win.

Coach34
11-04-2014, 09:50 PM
The talk all year has been that Oregon has a sub-par OL this year and is causing them problems. Do you really want to see a sub-par Pac-12 OL go against the best front 7 in the nation????

Oregon doesnt

CJDAWG85
11-04-2014, 11:38 PM
I love us in the trenches against them. Our physical run game would wear them out.

dawgs
11-05-2014, 01:07 AM
Look at the way Oregon has played against the most physical teams on their schedule the last few years...they get beat almost every time. We would win.

They thunderfVcked Michigan st and stanford this year, 2 teams that were supposed to be built to beat oregon.

dawgs
11-05-2014, 01:09 AM
23-19. What was referred to throughout that year as possibly the best offense in college football history, regularly hanging 50-60 on conference opponents, two of them ranked, couldn't score 20 points again a mediocre SEC defense. That game is why I don't make assumptions anymore about how post-season match ups between teams without any common opponents or other direct comparisons will go.

It was definitely a 3 point game because it was heading to OT before dyer's run on the faux-tackle (typical auburn luck) and then auburn kicked a short FG on the final play to win.

Also if you are going to point out oregon's offense couldn't even score on auburn's mediocre D, what about oregon's D in that game? auburn was scoring 40+ and could barely break 20 against oregon. what does that say about oregon's D? You have to look at both sides of the argument.

sleepy dawg
11-05-2014, 01:14 AM
We're a better team, and I would predict us to win by around 8. They beat Michigan St. pretty easily who relies heavily on their run game like us (albeit different styles in general). Mariotta is a good passer and they run a very up tempo offense, which could cause us problems if we have our 1b out there especially. As others have mentioned though, our physicality is going to cause them problems in the end.

We shouldn't have trouble putting up points. I would expect our offense to totally dominate their D as long as we aren't making too many mistakes, which is easier said than done if you're basing it off of some of the mistakes we've made throughout the season. Even though we've dominated most good teams, we've left a lot to be desired in many games, whether it be missed kicks, poor coaching decisions, picks, penalties, or fumbles. If we can start to play more complete games, there really isn't anybody in the country who can beat us.

They're not a team that's going to give up though, and the game likely won't be out of reach until the clock hits 0. There should be plenty of possessions to go around.

dawgs
11-05-2014, 01:16 AM
I'll give you that Oregon has a better QB, but Auburn is better at most every other position on the field. Oregon's RBs may be fast, but so are Ole Miss'. Oregon's RBs aren't as good as Artis-Payne and Roc Thomas. Oregon's o-line is brutal. Our d-line would literally pitch a tent in their backfield.

Oregon would score 24-31 on us, but we may score fity on them

You know tyner and Freeman were 5* RBs and are just better players than artis-Payne and doc Thomas, and both weigh over 220 lbs and run sub-4.4 40s, right? These aren't lamichael james sized RBs, these guys are big and fast.

oregon's OL is also much healthier and better now than they were for the wazzou and arizona games. they've been far from brutal the last 4 games.

i find it hilarious how many of our fans get pissed about the media and opposing fans running with narratives (i.e. our D sucks, our pass D is the worst in the country, etc) without understanding the context and how things are evolving, but then run with narratives regarding other teams without understanding the context and how things are evolving.

TUSK
11-05-2014, 01:23 AM
Oregon is less physical than the following SEC teams...

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Georgia
Florida
LSU
Mississippi
MSU

ShotgunDawg
11-05-2014, 01:26 AM
You know tyner and Freeman were 5* RBs and are just better players than artis-Payne and doc Thomas, and both weigh over 220 lbs and run sub-4.4 40s, right? These aren't lamichael james sized RBs, these guys are big and fast.

oregon's OL is also much healthier and better now than they were for the wazzou and arizona games. they've been far from brutal the last 4 games.

i find it hilarious how many of our fans get pissed about the media and opposing fans running with narratives (i.e. our D sucks, our pass D is the worst in the country, etc) without understanding the context and how things are evolving, but then run with narratives regarding other teams without understanding the context and how things are evolving.

Well... I've watched Oregon play for about 10 years now and every time they play a physical team, it doesn't go well. Sure this team could be different, but I'm guessing it isn't

TUSK
11-05-2014, 01:30 AM
Well... I've watched Oregon play for about 10 years now and every time they play a physical team, it doesn't go well. Sure this team could be different, but I'm guessing it isn't

'gun,

You are correct here... Oregon is the 5-9, 139# white cat...

with the homemade nazi tat...

in gen pop.

dawgs
11-05-2014, 01:37 AM

i promise i've watched more oregon than you in the last 10 years considering i went to oregon for grad school and live in portland now. in 2010 and 2011, oregon kicked the shit out of stanford, handing stanford their only regular season Ls those 2 seasons and 2 of their 3 Ls overall those 2 seasons (3rd being against okie st in the fiesta bowl). this year, oregon kicked the shit out of stanford and michigan st. so you must not have watched oregon all that much over the last 10 years. in 2012, oregon beat 1 L k state in the fiesta bowl, k state being on the most physical rushing teams in the country that season. in 2011, oregon beat wisconsin in the rose bowl, wisconsin always has a physical running attack and defense. oregon lost to 2 damn good stanford teams in 2012 and 2013 and suddenly they can't beat physical teams. that's wrong, they just lost to a really good team. it'd be like us losing to bama and suddenly we "can't beat a physical team". oregon also would've been neck and neck with lsu to open 2011 in jerryworld, but true frosh de'anthony thomas did his jamoral graham impression on punt returns setting up multiple short fields for lsu to let them pull away. lsu didn't out physical oregon there, a true freshman made some killer mistakes in his CFB debut.

i think we'd win (already said the score would be something like 45-35), i just think anyone assuming it'd be a slam dunk piece of cake is wrong.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
11-05-2014, 10:25 AM
thanks, I've seen practically zero Pac-12 snaps this year.

Concluding we win vs. Oregon, I would think we'd rather see Fla St. in the final than an Auburn rematch. Based primarily on the difficulty of beating a well-coached team 2x in the same season. I also don't think J Winston's psyche can handle 4 qtrs of PSYCHO DEFENSE.

thf24
11-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Also if you are going to point out oregon's offense couldn't even score on auburn's mediocre D, what about oregon's D in that game? auburn was scoring 40+ and could barely break 20 against oregon. what does that say about oregon's D? You have to look at both sides of the argument.

The narrative going into that game was that Oregon was going to cruise because Auburn wouldn't be able to keep up with them scoring. No one was saying much about Auburn's O vs. Oregon's D. No one was calling Auburn's offense possibly the best in the history of college football.

ShotgunDawg
i promise i've watched more oregon than you in the last 10 years considering i went to oregon for grad school and live in portland now. in 2010 and 2011, oregon kicked the shit out of stanford, handing stanford their only regular season Ls those 2 seasons and 2 of their 3 Ls overall those 2 seasons (3rd being against okie st in the fiesta bowl). this year, oregon kicked the shit out of stanford and michigan st. so you must not have watched oregon all that much over the last 10 years. in 2012, oregon beat 1 L k state in the fiesta bowl, k state being on the most physical rushing teams in the country that season. in 2011, oregon beat wisconsin in the rose bowl, wisconsin always has a physical running attack and defense. oregon lost to 2 damn good stanford teams in 2012 and 2013 and suddenly they can't beat physical teams. that's wrong, they just lost to a really good team. it'd be like us losing to bama and suddenly we "can't beat a physical team". oregon also would've been neck and neck with lsu to open 2011 in jerryworld, but true frosh de'anthony thomas did his jamoral graham impression on punt returns setting up multiple short fields for lsu to let them pull away. lsu didn't out physical oregon there, a true freshman made some killer mistakes in his CFB debut.

i think we'd win (already said the score would be something like 45-35), i just think anyone assuming it'd be a slam dunk piece of cake is wrong.

Are you really comparing Stanford to Bama?

I'm not only going off of Stanford, but I'm also going off of their game against LSU and Auburn in the NC. Point it, they don't handle teams very well that have really good defensive lines and can run the football.

dawgs
My dream scenario, if we make it, would be to end up facing ND and f$u. Those are the real contenders that scare me the least.

sandwolf
11-05-2014, 11:18 AM

He was making an analogy between two good football teams.

Point it, they don't handle teams very well that have really good defensive lines and can run the football.

He just gave you multiple examples, proving that this is not the case.

Just admit that you were talking out of your ass and had no idea what you were talking about.

dawgs
11-05-2014, 11:26 AM

I'm not only going off of Stanford, but I'm also going off of their game against LSU and Auburn in the NC. Point it, they don't handle teams very well that have really good defensive lines and can run the football.

Yeah 2010-2011 stanford with andrew luck at QB that only lost 2 regular season games (both to oregon) and has a ton of DL and OL talent from those teams in the NFL isn't a good physical team. 2012-2013 stanford also put a ton of guys in the NFL.

Also, go watch that oregon-lsu game. The game was tight until a true freshman (de'anthony Thomas) did his jamoral graham impression on back to back possessions in the 3rd quarter giving lsu short fields. Lsu won by 14.

As for the auburn game, it was a game decided by a last second FG. It's not like auburn dominated that game. I'm not sure why that's a good game to illustrate that oregon can't handle a physical team. Why does no one ever give oregon's D credit for being one of the few teams that actually slowed auburn's offense? It's a very one-sided narrative from that game and the way people discuss it with regards to oregon, you'd think auburn won 45-14 or something.

curmudgeon
11-05-2014, 02:39 PM
The only potential playoff opponent that worries me just a smidgen is TCU.

We'd beat Oregon by 17+, and Florida State by 10+. And if you gave us Notre Dame in New Orleans we might get a public tongue lashing from the Pope.

dawgpound
11-05-2014, 04:36 PM
I wouldn't be worried about Oregon. Our offense would barely be slowed down by their Pac12 defense and sure they may get lucky on a few big plays against us but we would win that game easily and dak would put up huge numbers