PDA

View Full Version : The great Barrett Sallee has apparently jumped off the wagon...

maroonmania
11-04-2014, 02:29 PM
heard him on the Bham radio Scott and Matt show yesterday saying that MSU was running on fumes now and basically would be no match for Bama in TTown. Guess there is no point in even playing the game at this point. :rolleyes:

MetEdDawg
11-04-2014, 02:36 PM
I can't wait for next weekend. We have been up for every big game that mattered this year. The opener, LSU, TAMU, Auburn. Every other game was won on us being just plain better. Do people really expect us to go into Tuscaloosa and just get blown away? I hope people continue to think that because all it's going to do is put our team back where they are comfortable. Underdog. Disrespected. Overlooked.

Please let the media continue to do this because our team feeds off of it. I bet not one media person picks us to win and I hope that's what happens. We all know we will go in there and will play with intensity and with passion. But you add that extra chip on our shoulder and I think that changes the game back in our favor. We have the experience at #1, but are also being disrespected. To me that's the best thing that could happen to this team is to take the pressure off that #1 ranking by saying we don't deserve it.

maroonmania
11-04-2014, 02:39 PM
I can't wait for next weekend. We have been up for every big game that mattered this year. The opener, LSU, TAMU, Auburn. Every other game was won on us being just plain better. Do people really expect us to go into Tuscaloosa and just get blown away? I hope people continue to think that because all it's going to do is put our team back where they are comfortable. Underdog. Disrespected. Overlooked.

Please let the media continue to do this because our team feeds off of it. I bet not one media person picks us to win and I hope that's what happens. We all know we will go in there and will play with intensity and with passion. But you add that extra chip on our shoulder and I think that changes the game back in our favor. We have the experience at #1, but are also being disrespected. To me that's the best thing that could happen to this team is to take the pressure off that #1 ranking by saying we don't deserve it.

We've certainly been saving up for Bama because the last couple of games it has looked like we were just going through the motions.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Yeah, we should have seen this coming.

- At the beginning of the season we weren't ranked and received no respect.

- In the middle of the season we offered the media no choice but to rank us #1 because of who we beat and how we beat them.

- Dog days of the season, we win but look pedestrian and the media begins to jump off the bandwagon.

It is clear that the media has not believed in us all year and aren't going to give us the benefit of the doubt.

Consider the evidence:

- Auburn almost loses to South Carolina at home and South Carolina loses and gives up 45 points to Tennessee the next week. However, the media has crowned Auburn, a team we beat by 15 points, yes 15 points, not a close game, the best team in the country. So when Auburn struggles, it doesn't matter.

- Alabama has beaten virtually no one, but actually beat Arkansas by fewer points than us. However, because of their recruiting ranking and history, some think they are the best team in the country.

Plainly, the media doesn't think we are the #1 team in the country and only votes us there because there is no viable alternative. They think we are fluke and don't have the talent win when it matters. The haven't given us the benefit of the doubt all season, and they aren't going to start now. For some reason Auburn and Bama can play poorly and everyone just laughs, but if we play poorly, it means we are out of gas.

This should put a chip on our team's shoulders and give them all the motivation needed to walk into Bryant-Denny and give Bama hell.

Goat Holder
11-04-2014, 02:46 PM
I agree with most all you said except what I quoted below. You can't judge us by what the media thinks of Alabama and Auburn. They have a track record of winning, thus are trustworthy in the voters' eyes. We have to prove it.

It is clear that the media has not believed in us all year and aren't going to give us the benefit of the doubt.

They have us voted as an almost unanimous #1 in all polls. What more do you want? Even the guys who harp on the weak OOC have us as #1.

Plainly, the media doesn't think we are the #1 team in the country and only votes us there because there is no viable alternative.

No viable alternative? Do the reigning and defending NATIONAL CHAMPIONS ring a bell? You know, the team they voted us over 3 weeks ago?

Goat Holder
11-04-2014, 02:47 PM
It's the safe pick for now. Bama is at home, with history on their side. Plus Prescott is not 100%. If I was betting my life, I'm going with Bama too.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2014, 02:48 PM
I agree with most all you said except what I quoted below. You can't judge us by what the media thinks of Alabama and Auburn. They have a track record of winning, thus are trustworthy in the voters' eyes. We have to prove it.

They have us voted as an almost unanimous #1 in all polls. What more do you want? Even the guys who harp on the weak OOC have us as #1.

No viable alternative? Do the reigning and defending NATIONAL CHAMPIONS ring a bell? You know, the team they voted us over 3 weeks ago?

Our resume and FSU's aren't close. The media has to vote us number 1 right now or the poll looks like a farce from an objective standpoint

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2014, 02:51 PM
It's the safe pick for now. Bama is at home, with history on their side. Plus Prescott is not 100%. If I was betting my life, I'm going with Bama too.

I think we are going to win, but I get it. Bama is the trendy pick, but, who knows, that could change depending on what happens at LSU this Saturday night. The media thinks we are a fluke though, and aren't giving us the benefit of the doubt like Auburn and Bama get. Maybe they've earned it though through the years. I can't say I wouldn't be doing the same if I was an unbiased national college football voice

Goat Holder
11-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Our resume and FSU's aren't close.

I see this all the time, and maybe it's correct. But how do we know? We haven't played any common opponents. Maybe we will know a little more after FSU plays Florida, but that's subjective at best. They've beaten back all comers. I think a big point of the playoff is to reach nationwide to make sure you get the right team. If they don't play, how do we know?

That is precisely why I've always said it was a shame that Alabama got in in 2011. Were they one of the best 2 teams? Probably. But we do not KNOW for certain they were better than Oklahoma State/Stanford/etc. What we DO know is that LSU beat them and thus SHOULD have been considered better than them. Someone else deserved a shot at LSU in that ch'ip game. Just my 2 cents.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2014, 02:57 PM
I see this all the time, and maybe it's correct. But how do we know? We haven't played any common opponents. Maybe we will know a little more after FSU plays Florida, but that's subjective at best. They've beaten back all comers. I think a big point of the playoff is to reach nationwide to make sure you get the right team. If they don't play, how do we know?

That is precisely why I've always said it was a shame that Alabama got in in 2011. Were they one of the best 2 teams? Probably. But we do not KNOW for certain they were better than Oklahoma State/Stanford/etc. What we DO know is that LSU beat them and thus SHOULD have been considered better than them. Someone else deserved a shot at LSU in that ch'ip game. Just my 2 cents.

You make good points. I guess eye test, recruiting ranking, and program perception factors in at some point,

Liverpooldawg
11-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Just win.

BulldogBear
11-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Alabama is being set up. Everything but home field advantage is going to favor MSU in this game and nobody will even realize it. We only need to look at how our 8-0 and 7-0 starts recently ended and where to find more chips to add to the shoulders. This MSU-Bama could be historical and will be a bigger win than 1980.

Chip
11-04-2014, 03:35 PM
After LSU wins the turnover battle and run game battle, and beats Alabama this weekend, the thought process of these prognosticators will get a little more wobbly and uncertain going into the ballgame at Tuscaloosa. Alabama has only been tested on the road by Ole Miss and Arkansas. And they looked bad in both those games. LSU will be a tougher test than either Arkansas or Ole Miss was. LSU has found their heart. This year's Alabama team doesn't have the heart of past year's teams.

My favorite incorrect prognosticator of the day was Cowherd. He's all over Auburn as being the best team in the country. Despite State beating Auburn by 15. Despite Auburn's defense looking bad in their Carolina game and in the Ole Miss game - quite frankly. Cowherd predicted them to "win out", and sounded like he thought Auburn would be in the play-off representing the SEC. The problem is that even if Auburn "wins out", they have an SEC loss to State. So if we win two of three of our last SEC games (which I like our chances of doing), we have the tie-breaker over Auburn, so they sit at home while we go to Atlanta to play the SECCG. Cowherd opines more than he thinks.

cheewgumm
11-04-2014, 03:36 PM
It saying yet that we are gonna win, but I love that conventional wisdom is shifting so that everyone thinks and is saying they will walk us. I had hoped for this and it seems to be happening.

I watched last years game and it was fairly close. I think we are WAY better. Are they?

Chip
11-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Last year's game didn't involve a State team led by Dak Prescott. Dak is the Alpha Dog. Dak has the heart of a lion, and mid-way through the second quarter the Alabama players will know that as well.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-04-2014, 03:45 PM
My favorite incorrect prognosticator of the day was Cowherd. Cowherd opines more than he thinks.
I really used to love his show, but here lately it's been unbearable between his hatred of the NASCAR "southern fighting culture" (I don't watch NASCAR btw) and "why southern athletes are better because there is less to do in the south, poor diet, etc".

Goat Holder
11-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Alabama is being set up. Everything but home field advantage is going to favor MSU in this game and nobody will even realize it. We only need to look at how our 8-0 and 7-0 starts recently ended and where to find more chips to add to the shoulders. This MSU-Bama could be historical and will be a bigger win than 1980.

Ha, wow, I didn't even think about that. Indeed, both of those dream seasons died on the floor of Bryant-Denny Stadium.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Imagine this, MSU has had a slight let down after playing 3 huge games. WOW

ESPN just tweeted this:

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 3m3 minutes ago
Mississippi State’s dominance has been declining, but Bulldogs No. 1 in Game Control metric http://es.pn/1pErW6I

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1oFfk8CAAAWb6U.jpg

EAVdog
11-04-2014, 04:21 PM
We'll keep your seat on the bandwagon warm Sally, after we whip the Tide next Saturday there will be very limited spots!

Sacrifice
11-04-2014, 04:30 PM
It's just something we'll have to deal with until we play Bama. If you reverse the teams and Bama is 8-0 with our schedule and we're 7-1 with there's, all you would hear about is how we haven't beat anybody decent and how Bama has the heart of a champion and knows how to win.

Chip
11-04-2014, 04:34 PM
At no time in a game this season have I had any thought that we may lose the game. In fact, I've not had the thought of a loss prior to a game, or during the course of a game - that thought that we may actually lose this game, since Dak Prescott entered the Egg Bowl last year. Have you?

It's Dak. He's the Alpha. We've never had a player/leader in my lifetime like Dak. He believes he's going to win every game. The other players sense this invincibility from the Alpha, and they believe it, too. They know that Dak will literally put the team on his back and carry them across the goal line, if that's what it takes to win.

There are very few players that have that characteristic, but he has it. Do you think the players of the other team sense the Alpha characteristic, too? I think they do.

Goat Holder
11-04-2014, 04:35 PM
At no time in a game this season have I had any thought that we may lose the game. In fact, I've not had the thought of a loss prior to a game, or during the course of a game - that thought that we may actually lose this game, since Dak Prescott entered the Egg Bowl last year. Have you?

It's Dak. He's the Alpha. We've never had a player/leader in my lifetime like Dak. He believes he's going to win every game. The other players sense this invincibility from the Alpha, and they believe it, too. They know that Dak will literally put the team on his back and carry them across the goal line, if that's what it takes to win.

There are very few players that have that characteristic, but he has it. Do you think the players of the other team sense the Alpha characteristic, too? I think they do.

He's also hurt.

Chip
11-04-2014, 04:40 PM
He'll be fine.

messageboardsuperhero
11-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Funny how Bama can lose a game and struggle with Arkansas- now they're maybe the best teams in the country. Auburn can struggle against South Carolina and lose to us. But the minute that we beat Arkansas and Kentucky by only a combined 21 points, we're "running on fumes."

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2014, 04:44 PM
He's also hurt.

Come on Goat, he may be banged up a little, but he ain't injured as evidenced by the thread earlier today.

We'll play him sparingly this weekend and he'll be full throttle for Bama. I can't imagine it's worse than that.

If it is worse than that, then he must have the pain tolerance of Rambo in the scene where the Russian cuts him with his hot knife and electrocutes him.

Chip
11-04-2014, 04:49 PM
It's because of their history, as opposed to our history. It's conventional wisdom.

I'll take the position we're in - 8 & 0, leading the SECW, with the ball players we have, led by the best collegiate football player in the US at the most important position on the football field - as opposed to the position Auburn, Alabama or Ole Miss find themselves currently with the players they have.

I like our chances. I don't think we'll lose as long as Dak is able to play at 80% or better.

Just win. Nothing else matters.

Dawgtini
11-04-2014, 04:56 PM
It's because of their history, as opposed to our history. It's conventional wisdom.

Just win. Nothing else matters.

SOLVED #WINNING

I seen it dawg
11-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Yeah, we should have seen this coming.

- At the beginning of the season we weren't ranked and received no respect.

- In the middle of the season we offered the media no choice but to rank us #1 because of who we beat and how we beat them.

- Dog days of the season, we win but look pedestrian and the media begins to jump off the bandwagon.

Consider the evidence:

- Auburn almost loses to South Carolina at home and South Carolina loses and gives up 45 points to Tennessee the next week. However, the media has crowned Auburn, a team we beat by 15 points, yes 15 points, not a close game, the best team in the country. So when Auburn struggles, it doesn't matter.

- Alabama has beaten virtually no one, but actually beat Arkansas by fewer points than us. However, because of their recruiting ranking and history, some think they are the best team in the country.

Plainly, the media doesn't think we are the #1 team in the country and only votes us there because there is no viable alternative. They think we are fluke and don't have the talent win when it matters. The haven't given us the benefit of the doubt all season, and they aren't going to start now. For some reason Auburn and Bama can play poorly and everyone just laughs, but if we play poorly, it means we are out of gas.

This should put a chip on our team's shoulders and give them all the motivation needed to walk into Bryant-Denny and give Bama hell.

Bravo.

I seen it dawg
11-04-2014, 05:10 PM

Bravo #2. And yes Goat he's banged up which makes this post I quoted even more applicable.

Goat Holder
11-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Come on Goat, he may be banged up a little, but he ain't injured as evidenced by the threat earlier today.

yeah OKAY

PMDawg
11-04-2014, 06:07 PM
He's also hurt.

Tebow also had it, and he lost a game here and there.

IMissJack
11-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Cut out turnovers, and we score 30 on Ark.

FISHDAWG
11-05-2014, 09:01 AM
After LSU wins the turnover battle and run game battle, and beats Alabama this weekend, the thought process of these prognosticators will get a little more wobbly and uncertain going into the ballgame at Tuscaloosa. Alabama has only been tested on the road by Ole Miss and Arkansas. And they looked bad in both those games. LSU will be a tougher test than either Arkansas or Ole Miss was. LSU has found their heart. This year's Alabama team doesn't have the heart of past year's teams.

My favorite incorrect prognosticator of the day was Cowherd. He's all over Auburn as being the best team in the country. Despite State beating Auburn by 15. Despite Auburn's defense looking bad in their Carolina game and in the Ole Miss game - quite frankly. Cowherd predicted them to "win out", and sounded like he thought Auburn would be in the play-off representing the SEC. The problem is that even if Auburn "wins out", they have an SEC loss to State. So if we win two of three of our last SEC games (which I like our chances of doing), we have the tie-breaker over Auburn, so they sit at home while we go to Atlanta to play the SECCG. Cowherd opines more than he thinks.

I know it sounds crazy but UGA is going to beat Auburn

RougeDawg
11-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Cut out turnovers, and we score 30 on Ark.

^^This^^. And The hogs only score 3 if we don't gift them one inside our 20.