PDA

View Full Version : OM artificial turf issue....

maroonmania
11-04-2014, 02:21 PM
I keep wondering if that artificial crap that OM plays on didn't make the Treadwell injury worse? Heck, Drake from Bama broke his leg on that crap earlier this year and didn't we have a player break his leg there in the 08 Egg Bowl that got Croom fired? I thought it was one of our receivers maybe?

Political Hack
11-04-2014, 02:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3731769

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-04-2014, 02:34 PM
I don't think the Treadwell injury would've changed regardless if it would've been on turf or natural grass. It was just the way that he was tackled and a freak injury. From reading online, most studies done on turf v natural mention knee injuries and ligament damage, but not necessarily breaks.

Goat Holder
11-04-2014, 02:38 PM
I could understand the concern if there weren't dozens or hundreds of synthetic turf/astroplay fields out there. Half the NFL teams play on them. A bunch of bowl games occur indoors on it.

Now, there are a few factors that may contribute to it. One, 12 of 14 SEC teams play on grass, so the transition to turf is a little different. Two, I saw somewhere that OM mixes sand in with the rubber pellets and that adds to the grip. Who knows.

maroonmania
11-04-2014, 02:42 PM
I could understand the concern if there weren't dozens or hundreds of synthetic turf/astroplay fields out there. Half the NFL teams play on them. A bunch of bowl games occur indoors on it.

Now, there are a few factors that may contribute to it. One, 12 of 14 SEC teams play on grass, so the transition to turf is a little different. Two, I saw somewhere that OM mixes sand in with the rubber pellets and that adds to the grip. Who knows.

Easier maintenance doesn't mean they are as safe. And maybe teams that play on them regularly get more accustomed to the surface but after we played on one of those NFL fields you are referring to last year in Houston we came out a walking MASH unit.

Goat Holder
11-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Easier maintenance doesn't mean they are as safe. And maybe teams that play on them regularly get more accustomed to the surface but after we played on one of those NFL fields you are referring to last year in Houston we came out a walking MASH unit.

Good point.

Not sure where you got the maintenance bit, I didn't post anything about that.

DawgInMemphis
11-04-2014, 02:54 PM
I keep wondering if that artificial crap that OM plays on didn't make the Treadwell injury worse? Heck, Drake from Bama broke his leg on that crap earlier this year and didn't we have a player break his leg there in the 08 Egg Bowl that got Croom fired? I thought it was one of our receivers maybe?

Brandon McRae I believe.

Jacksondevildog
11-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Don't give them more excuses. The next thing you know is some attorney will sue the turf manufacturer for hurting "Quon". Treadwell will receive more money than points that Auburn scored, so the Rebels will award themselves a victory and vacate the loss to Auburn. Of course, this is some bullshit idea that I came up with, but that's what the Spirit looks like when you read it.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2014, 03:01 PM

Nah, OM, Vandy, Missouri, and Arkansas all play on plastic

maroonmania
11-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Good point.

Not sure where you got the maintenance bit, I didn't post anything about that.

The ease of maintenance is just why people want them. Likely would take a study showing a significance difference in injury rates to get folks to go back to grass and spend the extra bucks.

Bo Darville
11-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Word I'm getting from someone in the Ole Miss turf grass management program is that significant divots were left when they aerated the field. They didn't notice it when they mowed, and Treadwell might have gotten his foot hung in one.

Mutt the Hoople
11-05-2014, 09:57 PM
If Ole Miss knew how to grow grass, they'd have won the Auburn game. It's Bjorn Bork and Pete Boone's fault that LaQuon Treadwell's Ole Miss career is over.

smootness
11-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Word I'm getting from someone in the Ole Miss turf grass management program is that significant divots were left when they aerated the field. They didn't notice it when they mowed, and Treadwell might have gotten his foot hung in one.

Reason2succeed
11-06-2014, 02:59 AM

NFL teams are strongly encouraged to have natural grass if the can. I live in Houston and they were just discussing this because of an injury to Arian Foster I believe. The problem with the Texans field is that it is put down in pieces and players feet get caught between the slabs of grass. So even though NRG Stadium (Reliant) has "natural grass" it isn't all that natural.