PDA

View Full Version : Alright Athletic Dept., it's time to start an initiative to change the kickoff chant

Lloyd Christmas
11-04-2014, 12:34 PM
The kickoff chant is not good. It's f**kin ten words long. This causes our students to speed through it ninety to nothing (more on this in a minute). Then our alumni don't do it because the student section does it so fast that everyone kinda says "f**k it let them do it".

I remember when the "Hey" song used to be awesome in our stadium. Now it's terrible because the student section finishes the thing a full 5 seconds before everyone else. This causes people to skip it entirely.

Now the "Speed Song" mindset has crept into every song/chant we do at games. If we don't have music then our students go full retard and can't keep pace worth a damn on their own. The student section screwed up what was an awesome pregame national anthem the other night.

The way to fix all of these problems is to change the kickoff chant to "HAAAAIIIIILLLLL STATE!". It's two words and it prevents our student's brains from overheating. Then they will go back to doing all the other stuff at a normal pace (eventually).

The first down chant was a great idea, and now it's time to take it one step further with the kickoff chant.

Political Hack
11-04-2014, 12:38 PM
this has bothered me for years. agree 100%. just change it.

who would've thought the blue hairs would have more rhythm than the students? And please don't take that the wrong way... our student section has been nothing short of spectacular this year.

Lloyd Christmas
11-04-2014, 12:47 PM
this has bothered me for years. agree 100%. just change it.

who would've thought the blue hairs would have more rhythm than the students? And please don't take that the wrong way... our student section has been nothing short of spectacular this year.

Thanks Hack. The speeding up started at some point when I was in school (07-11). It always pissed me off when I was in the student section. I don't know how we get this initiative to become a reality but I'm open to suggestions. Would Rhett Hobart have any say?

TheRef
11-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks Hack. The speeding up started at some point when I was in school (07-11). It always pissed me off when I was in the student section. I don't know how we get this initiative to become a reality but I'm open to suggestions. Would Rhett Hobart have any say?

Rhett could help. Who knows though.

sleepy dawg
11-04-2014, 12:50 PM
ditto. make it happen please.. I am in the "f*ck it" crowd. It's not even worth trying to chant anymore since it's such a cluster f*ck.

thf24
11-04-2014, 12:50 PM
I don't think there's anything to be done about it. Drunk, fired up college kids are going to run downhill with any kind of organized chant, no matter what it is or what kind of instruction or practice is done.

hailmari
11-04-2014, 12:51 PM
I never noticed how fast students were doing it until I graduated and started sitting elsewhere. I never heard the rest of the stadium when I was in the student section, so maybe they just don't know either.

Political Hack
11-04-2014, 12:53 PM
I don't think there's anything to be done about it. Drunk, fired up college kids are going to run downhill with any kind of organized chant, no matter what it is or what kind of instruction or practice is done.

have to be done between seasons for sure. But they could start "fixing" the hey chant during basketball. that was, by far, the coolest chant we had. I had an LSU fan next to me one time back when it was working the way it should... his words "y'all's cheers usually suck but that ones cool as shit"

Westdawg
11-04-2014, 12:54 PM

I have to disagree. I have seen stadiums of 100k+ drunk Europeans be able to keep time with a chant. It is a matter of students not caring if they do it right or not.

TheRef
have to be done between seasons for sure. But they could start "fixing" the hey chant during basketball. that was, by far, the coolest chant we had. I had an LSU fan next to me one time back when it was working the way it should... his words "y'all's cheers usually suck but that ones cool as shit"

It actually does pretty well in basketball because it is student led most of the time and everyone can hear each other. I'm not trying to say it's an acoustic problem, but it's a lot easier to do it in the Hump.

Source: Was a Rick's Rowdy when we were actually a thing....

drummerdawg
Yea its bothered me for a while now.

I always thought it would be cool to do "GOOOOO STATE! Go State!"

Lloyd Christmas
11-04-2014, 01:09 PM

The first down chant invalidates that argument

thf24
11-04-2014, 01:11 PM
I have to disagree. I have seen stadiums of 100k+ drunk Europeans be able to keep time with a chant. It is a matter of students not caring if they do it right or not.

Those European chants by nature work a lot better than with large numbers of people going at different speeds than our kind does. Less articulate and freer flowing. There are still large numbers of people way off of the correct tempo on those, it's just not as apparent. We could adopt a cheer like it, but I don't know if that kind of long, slow chant would be effective for a fairly discrete event like a kickoff.

The first down chant invalidates that argument

The first down chant is too short to have time to speed up.

SapperDawg
11-04-2014, 01:15 PM
This has become my least favorite chant now. I am not sure there is a way to repair it as the band is right next to the damn student section and they still cant keep the rhythm.

Original48
11-04-2014, 01:21 PM
I never noticed how fast students were doing it until I graduated and started sitting elsewhere. I never heard the rest of the stadium when I was in the student section, so maybe they just don't know either.
I went to cowbell yell the Friday night before auburn. They specifically went over that chant with the students and went through it a few times at the pace it's supposed to go. They just don't care on gameday.

Political Hack
11-04-2014, 01:39 PM
This has become my least favorite chant now. I am not sure there is a way to repair it as the band is right next to the damn student section and they still cant keep the rhythm.

used to it would finish "you're damn right" right before the band struck up the 2nd verse. was very cool.

bankerdawg
11-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Yea its bothered me for a while now.

I always thought it would be cool to do "GOOOOO STATE! Go State!"

Many years back we used to do:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........ until ball is kicked, then....... DAWGS......SIC CEM. I always liked that one.

TheRef
11-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Many years back we used to do:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........ until ball is kicked, then....... DAWGS......SIC CEM. I always liked that one.

Now if we tried to do that all we would hear is "We are just copying Georgia! We need something unique!"

CottonDog
11-04-2014, 02:14 PM
We have enough fabricated chants right now. Can "blue hairs" not chant as fast as young people? Also there are 66,000 seats in DWS. 11,000 seats are students. Shouldn't the majority of the stadium be louder than the students anyways?
PS I'm a student that doesn't sit in the student section.

Political Hack
11-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Now if we tried to do that all we would hear is "We are just copying Georgia! We need something unique!"

I think we should yell hunker down.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-04-2014, 02:21 PM
I went to cowbell yell the Friday night before auburn. They specifically went over that chant with the students and went through it a few times at the pace it's supposed to go. They just don't care on gameday.

I disagree, it was horrible at cowbell yell from where I was sitting...I don't know how to fix it, but the #1 team deserves a better effort.

DudyDawg
11-04-2014, 02:43 PM

For clarification, in europe they have "ultras" who consist of a few thousand who are the ones singing, not everyone there, for the majority of the game. Which is why it sounds so much better when they do long, drawn out songs. And the biggest european soccer stadium for a club sits 99k, so. Yeah