PDA

View Full Version : Video of National Anthem being sung by DWS

TheRef
11-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Here y'all go.

http://youtu.be/75KAcs7n6lA?t=3m50s

DudyDawg
11-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Anyone else see the jackasses on six pack saying the students sped up trying to mess it up and be cute. One of the most dumbass filled threads I've ever seen

Political Hack
11-04-2014, 12:01 PM
One of the coolest moments in DWS history IMO... mike went out and the crowd stepped in, in unison, immediately. NA always gets me...

blacklistedbully
11-04-2014, 12:04 PM
That was cool!

CadaverDawg
11-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Anyone else see the jackasses on six pack saying the students sped up trying to mess it up and be cute. One of the most dumbass filled threads I've ever seen

They may not have done it on purpose, but they DID KNOWINGLY screw it up. How hard is it to follow the beat of a song? Our student section needs to drink a beer and/or get laid, because they are way too uptight and anxious to scream out the words of these songs. It's like "OMG!1!!1 We get to yell HELL and DAMN, I cant wait, so let's rush through it!!". It really is awful sounding to everyone outside of the student section.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the student support and rowdiness...but that doesn't mean they don't deserve to be called out a little for their rushing through every possible song the stadium sings. It makes the whole section look dumb. Just sayin.

DudyDawg
11-04-2014, 12:23 PM
I sit in the student section and didn't knowingly mess up. Never knew it was off until the student section stopped and the rest were finishing. The acoustics there are not good, especially in things like that and the maroon and white cheer, you can't tell when one ends and one begins, especially after tailgating all day.

All that being said, my point was their reasons in the thread. A lot were talking of having family in the military and that the students thought it would be funny to intentionally screw it up, which is ludicrous.

ETA: I also hate the whole maroon white kickoff song. For some reason, most students think the goal is to finish the song before the ball hits the ground, which is wrong. So that's definitely a valid gripe. But the national anthem isn't

Lloyd Christmas
11-04-2014, 12:24 PM
They may not have done it on purpose, but they DID KNOWINGLY screw it up. How hard is it to follow the beat of a song? Our student section needs to drink a beer and/or get laid, because they are way too uptight and anxious to scream out the words of these songs. It's like "OMG!1!!1 We get to yell HELL and DAMN, I cant wait, so let's rush through it!!". It really is awful sounding to everyone outside of the student section.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the student support and rowdiness...but that doesn't mean they don't deserve to be called out a little for their rushing through every possible song the stadium sings. It makes the whole section look dumb. Just sayin.

Again, this all goes back to the f**kin TERRIBLE kickoff chant where they reel it off in like 3 seconds. Then that carries over into everything else.

CadaverDawg
11-04-2014, 12:29 PM
I sit in the student section and didn't knowingly mess up. Never knew it was off until the student section stopped and the rest were finishing. The acoustics there are not good, especially in things like that and the maroon and white cheer, you can't tell when one ends and one begins, especially after tailgating all day.

All that being said, my point was their reasons in the thread. A lot were talking of having family in the military and that the students thought it would be funny to intentionally screw it up, which is ludicrous.

Yea that thread got a little carried away, but I'm not buying the acoustics thing. Acoustics don't magically make an entire group of people forget the tempo of a song that they've been singing for years. But hey, if the students want to keep making themselves look bad and ruining what could be really cool moments, that's fine. They completely ruin what the maroon white cheer could be, by singing it so damn fast that it ends up sounding like a bunch of jibberish to the other fans and to the teams. If I was a student like yourself that actually wants it to sound good, I would try to get a group together to get word out to the Frats, Sororities and classrooms talking about how everyone needs to slow the song down because it makes the whole group look bad. But again, it's a song, so they may not care. However, to many, the Anthem isn't just a song, so they expect the students to cut the bullshit and be serious for the anthem. I can understand why some got pissed....it's no big deal on maroon white, but the anthem is different.

TheRef
11-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Yea that thread got a little carried away, but I'm not buying the acoustics thing. Acoustics don't magically make an entire group of people forget the tempo of a song that they've been singing for years. But hey, if the students want to keep making themselves look bad and ruining what could be really cool moments, that's fine. They completely ruin what the maroon white cheer could be, by singing it so damn fast that it ends up sounding like a bunch of jibberish to the other fans and to the teams. If I was a student like yourself that actually wants it to sound good, I would try to get a group together to get word out to the Frats, Sororities and classrooms talking about how everyone needs to slow the song down because it makes the whole group look bad. But again, it's a song, so they may not care. However, to many, the Anthem isn't just a song, so they expect the students to cut the bullshit and be serious for the anthem. I can understand why some got pissed....it's no big deal on maroon white, but the anthem is different.

The students, most of the time, aren't intentionally speeding up stuff. I'll tell you this right now, during Cowbell Yell they did a trial run with the Hey song and the Maroon, White, Fight fight fight part. I literally slowed down as much as I could and was still ahead of what it was supposed to be. I'm sorry. Maybe I'm being a huge asshole here, but it just felt unnatural for me to slow down to that point. The National Anthem, I went straight back to my band roots and was keeping beat with my feet (tapping my foot softly within my shoe, not making noise with it however). I stayed on tempo and where I was sitting (corner of Section 8) everyone was keeping tempo around me. So I don't know who was speeding up, but it wasn't anyone around me as far as I could tell.

TXDawg
11-04-2014, 12:38 PM

I'm not buying the "bad acoustics" excuse. The students didn't rush the fight song when it was being played. Maybe the solution is to put the words on the jumbotron with a bouncing ball to help them keep time.

CadaverDawg
11-04-2014, 12:41 PM
The students, most of the time, aren't intentionally speeding up stuff. I'll tell you this right now, during Cowbell Yell they did a trial run with the Hey song and the Maroon, White, Fight fight fight part. I literally slowed down as much as I could and was still ahead of what it was supposed to be. I'm sorry. Maybe I'm being a huge asshole here, but it just felt unnatural for me to slow down to that point. The National Anthem, I went straight back to my band roots and was keeping beat with my feet (tapping my foot softly within my shoe, not making noise with it however). I stayed on tempo and where I was sitting (corner of Section 8) everyone was keeping tempo around me. So I don't know who was speeding up, but it wasn't anyone around me as far as I could tell.

I just know for years the students have been able to keep it on tempo, especially at the Hump....but now, they can't keep tempo for shit. Blame it on whatever you want, but the bottom line is that students have kept tempo before yet for some reason the current ones can't. And it sounds like pure shit. Y'all don't realize just how bad it sounds because you're in it, but it sounds embarrassing. So all I can say is, if you want people to quit calling you out on SPS and other places, fix it. Don't make excuses, just fix it. Otherwise, it will continue sounding like shit and people will keep talking about it.

And again, I'm not bitching about it....just bringing it to students attention because I would think they don't want it to sound like shit. Hell, I'm just glad they're filling that Endzone up and being rowdy. And most fans agree with me....but when you screw up the Anthem, you've offended several veterans, so they are speaking out. It is what it is. I just wish the students would quit defending it and just correct it if they care. After all, this isn't an issue at other stadiums, and most stadiums are acoustically similar. So there is only one thing it could be....

And look, I'm not directing this at you two in particular because u obviously aren't the problem. I'm just discussing it as a whole. I'm glad you guys care about it enough to try and fix it.

TheRef
11-04-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm not buying the "bad acoustics" excuse. The students didn't rush the fight song when it was being played. Maybe the solution is to put the words on the jumbotron with a bouncing ball to help them keep time.

Don't insult our intelligence. I get what you're saying and I know I'm not part of the problem, but don't insult the students' intelligence by saying "Here...since you're obviously too stupid to figure out the beat on your own, let's do this like karaoke and put a little bouncing ball on words for you to chant to." They tried changing stuff in the basketball arena as far as chants and stuff are concerned and killed the atmosphere in there (not talking coaching changes or anything like that, they ruined it Stansbury's last year). Now you want to put them in charge of the football area? I'm sorry, but there is some stuff you can't fix simply by saying "Administration, let's change this and see if the students will follow." Sometimes it will work, most of the time, however, students will just keep doing their own thing.

Lloyd Christmas
11-04-2014, 12:44 PM

It feels unnatural because of the kickoff chant that you reel off in 2 seconds. Then when it's time to put the chant to a beat every student says "derp dee derp I wanna go fast!!!!1!!'.

Goat Holder
11-04-2014, 12:45 PM
They may not have done it on purpose, but they DID KNOWINGLY screw it up.

No collective group of people thinks with one mind like that.

That is some serious black helicopter stuff, thinking that the students all got together and collaborated that. It's probably more due to being drunk and stupid, than some collective effort.

I personally think its the suburban middle class tards on the message boards that need to relax. Get off the students' backs.

Lloyd Christmas
11-04-2014, 12:49 PM
I personally think its the suburban middle class tards on the message boards that need to relax. Get off the students' backs.

Good lord you are awful.

CadaverDawg
11-04-2014, 12:52 PM
No collective group of people thinks with one mind like that.

That is some serious black helicopter stuff, thinking that the students all got together and collaborated that. It's probably more due to being drunk and stupid, than some collective effort.

Again, they DIDNT DO IT ON PURPOSE, but they knew it was happening. How could they not? It has become a running joke. Learn to read and comprehend, and don't put words in people's mouth.

My guess is, a few of them start out on tempo and then everyone around them takes off with it, so it's either sing by yourself or catch up with the morons that are speeding through it. I get it. So either fix it or grow thick skin because people will continue discussing it, because it sounds bad. And I'm not saying I'll keep bringing it up, bc I won't...but people will.

DudyDawg
11-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Again, they DIDNT DO IT ON PURPOSE, but they knew it was happening. How could they not? .

Like I said, i was in it and couldn't tell until it was over that we were off. When you're in a group that is louder than the rest, you'll only hear that group, bc they are the ones immediately around you and the louder group. Trust me, most couldn't tell, at least anyone I've asked, that it was off

msu4life07
11-04-2014, 01:43 PM
One of the coolest moments in DWS history IMO... mike went out and the crowd stepped in, in unison, immediately. NA always gets me...

Wait, people actually think the mic went out? No, that was planned. They said during the week that it was going to be done that way - it wasn't an accident. The one thing they didn't do right was tell the crowd before hand to sign along, which would've probably increased participation.

DawgInMemphis
11-04-2014, 01:53 PM
The students have rushed the "Go, State... Go State!" and "We're gonna beat the hell outta you..." cheers for years.

maroonmania
11-04-2014, 02:00 PM

For the Maroon, White Fight cheer there is simply NO excuse. The freakin' band is playing it but yet the students can't figure out what the tempo is suppose to be? That whole cheer is a mess because the students won't follow the tempo the BAND sets which is the only tempo that matters.

sandwolf
11-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Don't insult our intelligence. I get what you're saying and I know I'm not part of the problem, but don't insult the students' intelligence by saying "Here...since you're obviously too stupid to figure out the beat on your own, let's do this like karaoke and put a little bouncing ball on words for you to chant to."

Wait, what? The students obviously ARE too stupid to figure out the beat on their own, but you don't like an idea that would fix the issue because it might insult their intelligence? Jesus....