PDA

View Full Version : Just watched Replay

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2014, 09:32 PM
A few additional notes on the Arkansas game.

- Our offense never found any rhythm, due to Ark controlling the ball and us never getting our running game going.

- We weren't mentally sharp in the game. Lots of careless, unforced errors.

- Many of our offensive problems were caused by Arkansas DE Trey Flowers. That guy is a full-grown man and Blaine Clausell is probably very excited he doesn't have to deal with someone that's as good as Flowers for the rest of the season.

- On the crazy, throw up pass, converted 4th down to Hunter Henry, that Arkansas had on the final drive, Justin Cox tried to intercept the ball when he could have knocked it down rather simply. This isn't the first time this has happened this season, and this is probably the worst of all of them since it was on 4th down. Again, we made tons of mental mistakes.

- The 1A and 1B rotation on the defensive line may win us the National Championship. It is incredible how fresh and disruptive our defensive line was at the end of that game, after being on the field for a ridiculous amount of time.

- Our team never panics. You could tell by Mullen's body language on the sideline and our teams body language and behavior, that we knew we were going to win. It seemed to never be in doubt to them.

Anyway, that's all I got. I'm sure someone with more Xs and Os knowledge would see more.

Original48
11-03-2014, 09:39 PM
I'll say this and y'all might think I'm crazy but Benequez Brown will be better than Bernardrick McKinney. He is not only a physical beast but is the most intelligent player on defense. Matt Wells...again...thank you. And lastly, I'm glad we arent playing that team in Fayetteville. Good luck to ole miss' D line.

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2014, 09:44 PM
I'll say this and y'all might think I'm crazy but Benequez Brown will be better than Bernardrick McKinney. He is not only a physical beast but is the most intelligent player on defense. Matt Wells...again...thank you. And lastly, I'm glad we arent playing that team in Fayetteville. Good luck to ole miss' D line.

I forgot to mention Wells. He's was awesome, but that's kinda like saying Dak was awesome. At some point, it's just expected

CadaverDawg
11-03-2014, 09:50 PM

Agree on all points. I never dreamed Benny Brown would make the strides he's made in just 2 years. He must study film constantly. You can tell he wants the NFL and is willing to put in the work to get there.

MSUDeltadawg1971
11-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Also on the 4th and 15 that Arkansas had to start their final drive, Chris Jones was mugged. The offensive lineman held him, snatched him around and almost dumped him on his face. No flag was thrown.

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Also on the 4th and 15 that Arkansas had to start their final drive, Chris Jones was mugged. The offensive lineman held him, snatched him around and almost dumped him on his face. No flag was thrown.

Absolutely... but that doesn't change the fact that our safety needs to understand the down and knock the ball down. That play had no business succeeding on either end.

MarketingBully01
11-03-2014, 10:12 PM
- Many of our offensive problems were caused by Arkansas DE Trey Flowers. That guy is a full-grown man and Blaine Clausell is probably very excited he doesn't have to deal with someone that's as good as Flowers for the rest of the season.

Add Trey Flowers got away with both a late hit on Dak which is really why he was limping after that one play. Very obvious. He was able to get away with a big hands to the face hit on Dak about 1.5 seconds after Dak got rid of the ball. Should have been called and would have set us up in the red zone where odds are good we score there. The game was 3-0 at that point. He then later in the game got away with a text book horse collar tackle where his whole hand is almost down JRob's jersey (could have hurt him too).

Skipper didn't just hold Chris Jones. He literally did a wrestling move and bear hugged him to the point CJ gave up on the play because there was nothing he could do. THAT type of hold has to be called no matter what the situation because if he doesn't hold him like that Allen is sacked and the ball game is over before that drive even begins.

justwin
11-03-2014, 10:17 PM
good stuff.

what DL does MSU have that resembles Flowers?

It's time for Justin Cox to show up. He has 4 games left @ MSU and would be great to get 3 or 4 pics.

A few additional notes on the Arkansas game.

- Our offense never found any rhythm, due to Ark controlling the ball and us never getting our running game going.

- We weren't mentally sharp in the game. Lots of careless, unforced errors.

- On the crazy, throw up pass, converted 4th down to Hunter Henry, that Arkansas had on the final drive, Justin Cox tried to intercept the ball when he could have knocked it down rather simply. This isn't the first time this has happened this season, and this is probably the worst of all of them since it was on 4th down. Again, we made tons of mental mistakes.

- The 1A and 1B rotation on the defensive line may win us the National Championship. It is incredible how fresh and disruptive our defensive line was at the end of that game, after being on the field for a ridiculous amount of time.

- Our team never panics. You could tell by Mullen's body language on the sideline and our teams body language and behavior, that we knew we were going to win. It seemed to never be in doubt to them.

Anyway, that's all I got. I'm sure someone with more Xs and Os knowledge would see more.

thf24
11-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Skipper didn't just hold Chris Jones. He literally did a wrestling move and bear hugged him to the point CJ gave up on the play because there was nothing he could do. THAT type of hold has to be called no matter what the situation because if he doesn't hold him like that Allen is sacked and the ball game is over before that drive even begins.

That was the worst instance, but they were holding CJ along with everyone else all game long. It makes we wonder if it's a case of the bullshit practice of committing a certain penalty subtlety every play so the officials won't call it, i.e. Auburn and linemen downfield, and Georgia Tech and chop blocks a few years ago.

MarketingBully01
11-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Absolutely... but that doesn't change the fact that our safety needs to understand the down and knock the ball down. That play had no business succeeding on either end.

That pass should have never gotten off to begin with. That was the worst no call I have seen this year. If Skipper doesn't hold on that play, Allen wouldn't have even been able to roll out to get a good angle to make that throw.

Political Hack
11-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Cox, Will, Beni, CJ, and Wells had great games. Defense was stout and down right impressive in the red zone - again. 1TD all night and it came on the short field after the punt muff.

Dak was banged up, so what's he do? He has a career passing day primarily from the pocket. He's a warrior. He missed throws and made 1 really bad read, but he's a baller.

If you count the ball walley stepped out on and another pass that got called back, I think Dak hit 8 or so different WRs during the game. Spreading the wealth is impressive.

They did a great job limiting our TOP and overall snaps. The 2nd drive of the game they straight up gambled and slide the line to the gaps going left... we ran right into it. If we go left that play. JRob probably would've had a 95+ yard TD.

Fred Ross can catch a punt. He will be our safe PR for the rest of the year. If they want a return, someone else will be back there.

MarketingBully01
11-03-2014, 10:20 PM
The officiating was pure garbage. If it is officiated evenly, we win comfortably.

FlabLoser
11-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Dak was way more banged up than I noticed watching it live. He was limping on the first drive.

Hope Damien gets PT next week and Dak gets healthy for Bama.

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2014, 10:27 PM
what DL does MSU have that resembles Flowers?

Flowers is a compact, quick 6'3" 270. We don't really have a guy like him now, as Preston Smith is much taller and Chris Jones is much bigger. The best comparison to Flowers would be Pernell Mcphee who was of similar size and a similar player when at MSU

Homedawg
11-03-2014, 10:30 PM
The officiating was pure garbage. If it is officiated evenly, we win comfortably.

That sounds more like something that should be on the spirit board. Come on you are better than that.

FlabLoser
11-03-2014, 10:31 PM
I have seen more celebration penalties this year in our games and others than I have ever seen in a season. Is that penalty a point of emphasis this year? What the hell do they think they are solving by being such hardasses with that?

bluelightstar
11-03-2014, 10:50 PM
That sounds more like something that should be on the spirit board. Come on you are better than that.

Yeah, I thought there was a lot of uncalled holding both ways honestly.

War Machine Dawg
11-04-2014, 01:08 AM
I have seen more celebration penalties this year in our games and others than I have ever seen in a season. Is that penalty a point of emphasis this year? What the hell do they think they are solving by being such hardasses with that?

It's the worst penalty in all of sports. The Rules Committee really needs to eliminate it. There was a reason and time when it was needed, but that reason and time has been eliminated. At the very least, it needs to be strongly de-emphasized except for all but the most egregious celebrations.

MabenMaroon
11-04-2014, 04:37 AM

And Gerri Green will be better than him!

shoeless joe
11-04-2014, 07:45 AM
On anothe note...the most glaring thing that stood out to me on the replay is that i'd rather the rest of our games be called by Gary danielson than to have to listen to Brock Huard comment on one more play. He is a complete blow hard that just wants to hear himself talk. It's like a fancies himself another Jesse Palmer but he sucks even worse. Painful listening to that guy.

thf24
11-04-2014, 08:07 AM
It's the worst penalty in all of sports. The Rules Committee really needs to eliminate it. There was a reason and time when it was needed, but that reason and time has been eliminated. At the very least, it needs to be strongly de-emphasized except for all but the most egregious celebrations.

I really don't see why NFL rules wouldn't work fine for college. Yeah, if you use a prop, go to the ground, delay the game, ect., that's excessive and a distraction, but jeez, let the players celebrate success in whatever minimally-distracting way they choose and get on with the game. The opposing team isn't going to riot because someone does his happy dance for a few seconds.

Dawgheadcheese
11-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Dak was way more banged up than I noticed watching it live. He was limping on the first drive.

Hope Damien gets PT next week and Dak gets healthy for Bama.

You guys crack me up - good grief. Dak is hurt? Really? So in the second half, when you see him jumping up and down all over the field, he has some significant injury? Obviously not. His leg is sore. But OBVIOUSLY, if he had some serious injury like an ankle or knee injury, he wouldn't be jumping around even if he had been given some type of shot to reduce the pain.

If he has looked tentative in the past couple of games, it is only because the coaches have told him to back off a little bit - unless this game is in doubt late. They don't want him taking a bunch of unnecessary hits. That is all - end of story. He is good to go and if he stays this heathy for the next two weeks, Alabama is in trouble.

drunkernhelldawg
11-04-2014, 12:27 PM
If you eliminated the penalty, things would quickly get awful. Players need to get over to the bench to do their big celebrating. I would be in favor of more specific rules for it, but the idea that you just eliminate the penalty is a recipe for stuff we haven't yet seen.

maroonmania
11-04-2014, 02:37 PM
You guys crack me up - good grief. Dak is hurt? Really? So in the second half, when you see him jumping up and down all over the field, he has some significant injury? Obviously not. His leg is sore. But OBVIOUSLY, if he had some serious injury like an ankle or knee injury, he wouldn't be jumping around even if he had been given some type of shot to reduce the pain.

If he has looked tentative in the past couple of games, it is only because the coaches have told him to back off a little bit - unless this game is in doubt late. They don't want him taking a bunch of unnecessary hits. That is all - end of story. He is good to go and if he stays this heathy for the next two weeks, Alabama is in trouble.

I know he is hurt because he is not cutting when he is running the ball to avoid defenders which he always does normally. His effectiveness running tells me a lot more about how healthy he is than how he celebrates after a play.