PDA

View Full Version : Diamond formation?

CadaverDawg
11-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Where is it? We holding it back for Bama, or just not going to use it this year? We're winning so I don't care, just curious. I figured we'd see it a good bit, and I like it, but we haven't needed it

msstate7
11-03-2014, 08:35 PM
The only thing I think we're holding is lewis. I think we're sandbagging him. I think he will be a big part of the gameplan

RougeDawg
11-03-2014, 09:07 PM
The only thing I think we're holding is lewis. I think we're sandbagging him. I think he will be a big part of the gameplan

I sure hope we are saving this as well as the misdirection runs. Arkansas was over-pursuing the run all night. If we had run the diamond, or just faked those handoffs and handed off an end around/misdirection, it would have gone for a long gain. There were a half dozen or so run plays where Dak could have kept it and cutback and been running for days. Given his ankle I understand why we weren't running those, but you could see them there from the Gridiron view. DE was crashing toward the handoff every time.

engie
11-03-2014, 09:07 PM
We're holding back.

Much like we held the 2-back set until we needed it late against Arky -- then we gashed them with it. We've torched people in our base offense all year. Haven't had to get cute much at all. Once we "had to" get cute in the Arky game, we did. All of the over the middle stuff was a new wrinkle...

MabenMaroon
11-03-2014, 09:16 PM
The White House secret service agents would be envious of the security around our practices this year. I definitely feel that there are things we are holding back for Bama ( if necessary ) and even more for tsun ( although that won't be necessary, it will be just for grins).

Todd4State
11-03-2014, 09:35 PM
I like the diamond formation, but for us it means probably using Robinson, Griffen, and Holloway and that means we have to take our slot guy and Malcolm off the field.

In other words, we have better personnel on the field when we are in our base set.

TUSK
11-03-2014, 09:38 PM
I had a convo with a Dawg earlier this evening, and this came up (sorta)...

an empty set/backfield scares me.

Homedawg
11-03-2014, 09:53 PM
I like the diamond formation, but for us it means probably using Robinson, Griffen, and Holloway and that means we have to take our slot guy and Malcolm off the field.

In other words, we have better personnel on the field when we are in our base set.
This. As Ellis Johnson said, Malcolm makes us hard to defend. We don't have to change personnel and can be five wide or be in a 3 wide w an h back look, 4 wide, or a te w his hand on the ground. It gave them fits as far as what to do w their own packages. Hes a weapon even if we don't throw it to him.

engie
11-03-2014, 10:39 PM

It all depends on what we are trying to accomplish...

messageboardsuperhero
11-03-2014, 11:06 PM
I had a convo with a Dawg earlier this evening, and this came up (sorta)...

an empty set/backfield scares me.

Our five wide set has been incredible all year. Teams just haven't been able to stop it on 3rd down- although if any defensive front can contain it, Bama can.

Coach34
11-03-2014, 11:07 PM

Lewis has been hurt- but hell, I prefer Myles. He is faster and a bigger target.

smootness
11-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Lewis has been hurt- but hell, I prefer Myles. He is faster and a bigger target.

You shouldn't, not when Lewis is healthy. It's been a big piece missing from our offense.

msstate7
11-03-2014, 11:16 PM

Myles is hell on those screen passes, but he hasnt proven he can run routes yet to me.

War Machine Dawg
11-04-2014, 01:12 AM

I'm on the verge of agreeing with this. Frankly, we haven't missed Tubby a bit. While Myles isn't as quick or have Tubby's moves, he does everything else just as well. And as you pointed out, he's faster than Tubby. I've been extremely impressed with Myles so far.

justwin
11-04-2014, 02:26 AM

Myles needs to return punts...like yesterday. Randall Cobb 2.0

justwin
11-04-2014, 02:27 AM
Would like to see the diamond z bunch this weekend

Where is it? We holding it back for Bama, or just not going to use it this year? We're winning so I don't care, just curious. I figured we'd see it a good bit, and I like it, but we haven't needed it

SignalToNoise
11-04-2014, 09:31 AM
We're holding back.

Much like we held the 2-back set until we needed it late against Arky -- then we gashed them with it. We've torched people in our base offense all year. Haven't had to get cute much at all. Once we "had to" get cute in the Arky game, we did. All of the over the middle stuff was a new wrinkle...

The over the middle stuff looked very similar to the play that Perkins scored on (when he got hurt) in last year's Arkansas game. Not going to compare game film or anything but it looked very similar.

archdog
11-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Hope I am wrong, but I don't think we are sandbagging Lewis. I think with his injuries this year, his brothers incident, and the additional weapons we have this year on offense, all have limited his production. Lewis is one of my favorite players on the team and I would like nothing better for him to know we are all there supporting him in spirit. It's been a tough year and I hope he goes off against Bama.

archdog
11-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Myles is a Randall Cobb type of player. People like to compare him to Harvin, but Cobb is a better comparison to his skill set. For the diamond pattern, I would motion him from the slot to the jet sweep fake position of the diamond pattern. If we start the play with only Jrob in the backfield, we can motion Myles and M Johnson into the formation. Malcolm could be the lead back blocking for either Dak or Jrob. Let Myles stretch the field on the edge. Dak or Jrob handles the rock the majority plays.

smootness
11-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Frankly, we haven't missed Tubby a bit.

Yes, we have. Our offense has still been incredible mostly with him out, but we definitely can't do some of the things Lewis does. He was such a huge target on big 3rd downs; he is able to find space in the middle of the defense, and he has a great connection with Dak. Myles has a lot of talent, but he doesn't yet have those instincts. He is good for 5+ yards on those screen passes almost every time, but Jameon is definitely missed.

War Machine Dawg
11-04-2014, 01:16 PM
The over the middle stuff looked very similar to the play that Perkins scored on (when he got hurt) in last year's Arkansas game. Not going to compare game film or anything but it looked very similar.

Matt Wyatt said on the radio broadcast it was exactly the same play.