PDA

View Full Version : since it seems a reasonably active night here....

TUSK
11-03-2014, 08:09 PM
I thought I'd ask you cats a question... I've seen repetitive posts RE: "Bama's Defense is not as good (as it has been)"...

Do yall mean in comparison to 08-present or just vs the '11 defense?

I was just curious as to the context, is all...

GreenheadDawg
11-03-2014, 08:14 PM
I thought I'd ask you cats a question... I've seen repetitive posts RE: "Bama's Defense is not as good (as it has been)"...

I would say 08-present. D-line is outstanding but linebackers and secondary are not up to par as far as Bama standards. But the thing is.. they are still better than 98% of the country. They are just not as dominant as years past. Several teams have been able to move the ball on them. Especially with the pass. Bama being "down" on defense is not exactly down though, they are still extremely good. But I just remember thinking in previous years... How the hell do you score on these guys? I don't feel that way this year

Coach34
11-03-2014, 08:17 PM

Auburn and State will put 400 yards of offense on you this year. Previous defenses wouldnt have allowed that. You guys are giving up 200 yards/game passing this year- another high. It's just not as good when you look at it as it has been in previous years.

Political Hack
11-03-2014, 08:19 PM
overall. I don't think it's nearly as dominant. I don't think it'll show because you aren't really playing any high profile offenses with the exception of State and Auburn, who you haven't played yet.

A&M was, but that game was an abomination of the game of football. They seriously shouldn't have killed the pigs needed to create those footballs. Wasn't worth it.

I think Bama's stroke this year is more on the offensive side of the ball. Once Sims settled in, the O has looked impressive. I also think if Drake was still healthy y'all would be dumping 40+ every game you play from here on out, with maybe the exception of LSU.

Saltydog
11-03-2014, 08:20 PM
good but not as "dominant" as it has been the last 4-5 years that's mainly the secondary IMO and B) the OL is not NEARLY as dominant as it has been during that same time period. Is this Bama team good, "yes". Are they great, "I don't see it" but that's just my opinion.

TUSK
11-03-2014, 08:20 PM
I would say 08-present. D-line is outstanding but linebackers and secondary are not up to par as far as Bama standards. But the thing is.. they are still better than 98% of the country. They are just not as dominant as years past. Several teams have been able to move the ball on them. Especially with the pass. Bama being "down" on defense is not exactly down though, they are still extremely good. But I just remember thinking in previous years... How the hell do you score on these guys? I don't feel that way this year

I can dig that... they certainly aren't as "apparently overwhelming"... but they're numbers stack up well, comparably...

LSU, MSU & AU will likely change that, however.... the slate is backloaded, for sure.

msstate7
11-03-2014, 08:24 PM
I don't think you have the corners you usually have.

Covercorner2
11-03-2014, 08:30 PM
I don't think you have the corners you usually have.

Entire secondary, really

TUSK
11-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Entire secondary, really

save Collins, I'd agree with you... he's a MFer.

LC Dawg
11-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Bama's defense just doesn't strike fear in me like earlier years but honestly it may be the fact that I've got so much confidence in our offense. Plus, at this point in most years Bama doesn't have a loss to a 2 loss Ole Miss team.

Covercorner2
11-03-2014, 08:54 PM
save Collins, I'd agree with you... he's a MFer.

Collins is good, but usually you have at least 2 studs back there.

2013- Collins, Clinton-Dix
2012- Clinton-Dix, Milliner
2011- Kirkpatrick, Barron

And so on...

And while I think Collins is good, I'm not sure if he's a first round draft pick, like those guys. Just my opinion, though.

TUSK
11-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Collins is good, but usually you have at least 2 studs back there.

2013- Collins, Clinton-Dix
2012- Clinton-Dix, Milliner
2011- Kirkpatrick, Barron

And so on...

And while I think Collins is good, I'm not sure if he's a first round draft pick, like those guys. Just my opinion, though.

You're right, we don't have a second "stud".... Eddie Jackson is really good, but injuries have hampered him....

Collins is a 1st rounder... possibly top ten overall pick.

and he may be better than both Barron and HaHa.... he's a combo of the two...

HoopsDawg
11-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Well, Bama is 4th in the country in total defense. 2nd in scoring D. 2nd in rushing D. I think your D-line and LB's are outstanding against the run. It's going to be tough sledding for J-Rob.

I do think, like last year, the pass rush isn't as worrisome. Bama is 37th in sacks. I also think the secondary can be thrown on, 26th in passing efficiency D. So, hopefully with Dak's running ability + our improved skill players (particularly on the outside) we can muster enough offense to score 24 or so points. Hopefully, that will be enough.

Goat Holder
11-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Alabama is the relative unknown coming into that game, IMO. Eager to see how you do in Tiger Stadium, then we'll at least have 2 equal venues to compare, home vs. aTm and LSU. You've lost to an Ole Miss team who lost to 2 teams that we've beaten solidly. West Virginia win looks pretty good now. Tennessee is Tennessee. We both fumbled around with Arkansas, although not in the same home/away environments.

I can't really tell about the defense or the offense honestly. Pretty schizophrenic.

engie
11-03-2014, 09:12 PM
It's not so much that I think Bama is notably worse -- as it is that I think we are notably better offensively. I think we would have had a good chance to win the game last year had Dak been healthy, and we've improved across the board since then. Dak's health and run threat are of huge importance in the game.

TUSK
11-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Alabama is the relative unknown coming into that game, IMO. Eager to see how you do in Tiger Stadium, then we'll at least have 2 equal venues to compare, home vs. aTm and LSU. You've lost to an Ole Miss team who lost to 2 teams that we've beaten solidly. West Virginia win looks pretty good now. Tennessee is Tennessee. We both fumbled around with Arkansas, although not in the same home/away environments.

I can't really tell about the defense or the offense honestly. Pretty schizophrenic.

solid... Death Valley will let me know whether or not I should have hope for this season...

I like our chances down there... if we can throw on them at all all, I believe we win. I just think LSU, although much improved, is still too one dimensional to beat Bammer.

AlSwearengen
11-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Previous bama defenses set the bar really high, so for us to say bama's D isn't as good or however we describe it, isn't really a knock.

CadaverDawg
11-03-2014, 09:26 PM
solid... Death Valley will let me know whether or not I should have hope for this season...

I like our chances down there... if we can throw on them at all all, I believe we win. I just think LSU, although much improved, is still too one dimensional to beat Bammer.

I agree, and I listened to Ole miss fans say the same thing about LSU, and we saw what happened there. The difference is, OM has a small defense built on speed which didn't match up well with LSU....you guys have a MSU type DL, which matches up well with them. I think Bama rolls by 3 TD's, but DV is a strange place. Is that a night game? If so, I give them a small chance...day game and Bama routes them.

TUSK
11-03-2014, 09:46 PM
I'll say this... if we get up early by 10-14 or so, the air will leave that place... and it will get ugly... but that's the case in most games, I realize...

also, if Ole Miss can run on LSU in BR, I know bammer can.

SDDawg
11-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Bama has shit the bed at least twice this year. That not enough?

CadaverDawg
11-03-2014, 10:22 PM
I'll say this... if we get up early by 10-14 or so, the air will leave that place... and it will get ugly... but that's the case in most games, I realize...

also, if Ole Miss can run on LSU in BR, I know bammer can.

Did OM run the ball on LSU? I thought LSU shut them down?

msstate7
11-03-2014, 10:25 PM

137 yards

TUSK
11-03-2014, 10:32 PM

4 yards per.

CadaverDawg
11-03-2014, 10:38 PM
137 yards

Meh, that doesn't say much. Alabama won't be running speed sweeps with 5'4 140 lb scat backs. Totally different running game. That doesn't tell us much at all IMO

TUSK
11-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Meh, that doesn't say much. Alabama won't be running speed sweeps with 5'4 140 lb scat backs. Totally different running game. That doesn't tell us much at all IMO

exactly my point... if UM can get 4 per running to the sidelines with borderline JUCO RBs, Bammer should be able to run with two NFL backs.

CadaverDawg
11-03-2014, 11:24 PM
exactly my point... if UM can get 4 per running to the sidelines with borderline JUCO RBs, Bammer should be able to run with two NFL backs.

Not really. Bammer is more between the tackles than OM. Those rushing stats do not tell us much about the Alabama matchup IMO. Two totally different and uncomparable running styles. Not saying Bama won't run them over, bc I think they will...I just don't think OM's rushing stats vs LSU tell us anything.

TUSK
11-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Not really. Bammer is more between the tackles than OM. Those rushing stats do not tell us much about the Alabama matchup IMO. Two totally different and uncomparable running styles. Not saying Bama won't run them over, bc I think they will...I just don't think OM's rushing stats vs LSU tell us anything.

that's true... I think we could run it up the gut (but it would be grueling) or toss sweep em to death (painlessly)...

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2014, 12:29 AM
137 yards

Man... I just don't remember this. Did Ole Miss pop one run that skewed the average? or Were some of their bubble screens considered runs because they went backwards? Or Did Bo scrammble a few times?

I just remember Ole Miss' running game being stuffed in that game and Bo complaining about running the ball afterwards.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Man... I just don't remember this. Did Ole Miss pop one run that skewed the average? or Were some of their bubble screens considered runs because they went backwards? Or Did Bo scrammble a few times?

I just remember Ole Miss' running game being stuffed in that game and Bo complaining about running the ball afterwards.

I just did some research and answered my own questions.

Cody Core had 1 carry for 30 yards in that game on a reverse and he is a WR. Take that reverse out and Ole Miss averaged 3.2 yards per rush.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11763355

Mathers was their most effective runner averaging 4.4 yards per rush. He had one rush that was 13 yards.

Bo had a 12 yard scramble on a pass play

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11764327

So on the other 31 carries in that game, they accumulated 82 yards and averaged 2.6 YPC. This isn't success