PDA

View Full Version : Defensive game plan v. Bama

cheewgumm
11-03-2014, 11:15 AM
I anticipate seeing the exact same plan that we ran against Arkansas , Which seemed simply to be stop the run and make them beat you throwing the ball.

How would you defend thwm?

DudyDawg
11-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Same thing, except stop Amari cooper (at least try) like we should have done to Hunter Henry for Arky

defiantdog
11-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Stop the pass and trust our front seven against the run. I think Wells can contain Sims by himself. B. Brown should be able to pick up on their plays fairly easily.

drunkernhelldawg
11-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Gotta get those hands up up front to try and limit Sims' incredibly quick release. I tingle just thinking about this game. Can't wait.

TUSK
11-03-2014, 11:59 AM
I'm not a football coach (far from it), but the obvious thing to me is "ya can't let Cooper beat ya"...

I would put Will Redmond (CB) IN HIS FACE in press coverage and try to disrupt his route and timing... I'd have Justin Cox (FS) all but bail on run support to double Cooper without ever letting the WR get behind him... I'd have Love (CB) , Calhoun (Nickel) and Hughes (SS) in a Nickel package to deal with the rest of Bammer's WR corps and OJ and support your run D.

Regarding run D, I'd have C Jones & Nick James in there with the "1A's" and have Smith (DE), James (DT), Jones(DT & NT) (both of em) and Ry Brown (DE) in a 5 man front...

with that much pressure on the OL, yall will invariably flush Sims from the pocket A LOT... therefore, I'd have Cheetah Wells (LB) mirror him everywhere he goes...

Keep BMac (MLB) in the middle of the field, and flank him with Benie & Richie Brown (LB & LB) to both contain the run and take away the slants.

tenureplan
11-03-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure 16 is enough to stop you guys. Add in Eulls for extra run protection

EAVdog
11-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Limit their run game, and pressure Sims as much as possible. Don't let Cooper beat you by not giving Sims enough time to wait for the play to develop.

Political Hack
11-03-2014, 12:19 PM
1) control the clock to limit their snaps

2) dare them to run at us with 7 in the box.

3) Bracket Cooper.

4) contain Sims running out of the pocket.

Do those things we should have a solid defensive performance.

defiantdog
11-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Never thought I'd say this about Bama, but we should make the gameplan similar to the one against Auburn.

klc90
11-03-2014, 12:27 PM
That would be like 15 players on the field Tusk. I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed, but if you're good with it, we'll play it like that.

TUSK
11-03-2014, 12:28 PM
That would be like 15 players on the field Tusk. I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed, but if you're good with it, we'll play it like that.

it's a "5 - 4 - 5" defense.

forgot the ***.... sorry.

TUSK
11-03-2014, 12:44 PM
delete

JDog13
11-03-2014, 12:53 PM
I've heard prevent. Rush 3 drop 8. Keep everything in front of you. Even the goal post.

msstate7
11-03-2014, 12:57 PM
If we're gonna give a cb help with cooper, should we go with Calhoun. Calhoun is physical enough to rough up cooper at the line and then have cox help

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2014, 01:01 PM
We played great on defense against Bama last season, so I'd do the same thing we did last year. If Bama only scores 20 points, we will have a great opportunity to win the game.

defiantdog
11-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Bama fans aren't giving us any recognition and expect an easy win against us (that's at least what I'm hearing here in Bham).

starkvegasdawg
11-03-2014, 01:57 PM
No 1b secondary.

Political Hack
11-03-2014, 02:01 PM
If we're gonna give a cb help with cooper, should we go with Calhoun. Calhoun is physical enough to rough up cooper at the line and then have cox help

I've thought about this too and that way we can use the others to shut someone else down.

CadaverDawg
11-03-2014, 02:03 PM
To me, The only answer is to put your best corner (Redmond) on Cooper in press man. Play your best coverage safety (Cox) over the top of Cooper's side of the field. Everybody else focus on shutting down the run. If Sims can beat us with the other WR's, tip your cap and hope we beat OM and they lose to Auburn.

You have to take away their strengths. Those are Cooper, Yeldon, and Henry. I don't think Sims can beat us with no run game and Cooper being covered up. Now, those things are far easier said than done.

Alabama puts you in a dangerous spot, because you can't really afford to blitz in fear of the homerun to Cooper, or the Yeldon screen pass. So you're forced to try and get pressure with 4-5 guys and they have a great OL. So you're left with a secondary having to cover really good receivers for 8 seconds every pass play, and that usually ends in a completion for any team, much less Bama. Then you have their home field and a tough defense to deal with. What a headache.

I feel like if we can prevent turnovers on offense, and not give up the big play on defense, we will win the game. And of course, Dak's health may determine our effectiveness to control the ball.

Johnson85
11-03-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm not a football coach (far from it), but the obvious thing to me is "ya can't let Cooper beat ya"...

I would put (1)Will Redmond (CB) IN HIS FACE in press coverage and try to disrupt his route and timing... I'd have (2)Justin Cox (FS) all but bail on run support to double Cooper without ever letting the WR get behind him... I'd have (3)Love (CB) , (4) Calhoun (Nickel) and (5) Hughes (SS) in a Nickel package to deal with the rest of Bammer's WR corps and OJ and support your run D.

Regarding run D, I'd have C Jones & Nick James in there with the "1A's" and have Smith (DE), James (DT), Jones(DT & NT) (both of em) and Ry Brown (DE) in a (6-10) 5 man front...

with that much pressure on the OL, yall will invariably flush Sims from the pocket A LOT... therefore, I'd have (11) Cheetah Wells (LB) mirror him everywhere he goes...

Keep (12) BMac (MLB) in the middle of the field, and flank him with (13) Benie & (14) Richie Brown (LB & LB) to both contain the run and take away the slants.

I'll give you not a football coach, and add 'not a counter'. I will say if you can figure out a way to get it by the refs, you've come up with a hell of a defensive game plan. **

ETA: should have read the rest of the thread before replying.

Johnson85
11-03-2014, 02:28 PM

This is a good idea as it will leave our better CB to deal with having less help, but it depends on Cooper not being quick enough to get past Calhoun fairly easily. Have no clue but I would assume with Cooper's production, there'sa good chance he'll be athletic enough that Redmond is the only one that can jam him consistently while hedging enough to ensure that he is always funneling him to help.