PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Armchair QB..........

War Machine Dawg
11-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Gents, the Pork Barbecue Edition of ACQB is available at FWTCT (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/football/2014/11/3/7147819/wmd-armchair-qb-pork-barbecue-edition-mississippi-state-bulldogs-arkansas-razorbacks). It's lengthy this week, but do yourself a favor and take the time to give it a read. You know the drill. Let's talk about beating Arkansas.

drunkernhelldawg
11-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Especially appreciate you pointing out that we did not play poorly. Good football is always a war, as you say.

rbdog82
11-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Excellent write up. Thanks WMD.

Mjoelner34
11-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Under offense point #3, Dak's first int didn't bother me as much as his second. When he got the snap, he stared down J-Rob on a wheel to the left to move the backers then slung it back to the right. The backer just didn't go with the fake and got the int. Even though he was staring down J-Rob, he was still wide open for about 15yards and that is where the ball should have gone. Even if we had completed the pass, that gain would have been shorter than had we hit a wide open Robinson on the wheel. Plus, there's a chance he could have taken it to the house since I think there was only 1 defender between him and the goal line.

thf24
11-03-2014, 11:09 AM
To add to the poor officiating, go back and watch Arkansas' 4th and 15 play. CJ exploded off the line and had Skipper beat by a mile, so Skipper latched onto him like he was drowning and CJ was a life preserver. Chris eventually gave up, I'm sure thinking every official on the field was about to drop a flag; but nope, no call. That play was infuriating; should have ended the game with them trying to convert a 4th and 25 and not even let them get close to scoring as they nearly did.

Mjoelner34
11-03-2014, 11:17 AM
To add to the poor officiating, go back and watch Arkansas' 4th and 15 play. CJ exploded off the line and had Skipper beat by a mile, so Skipper latched onto him like he was drowning and CJ was a life preserver. Chris eventually gave up, I'm sure thinking every official on the field was about to drop a flag; but nope, no call. That play was infuriating; should have ended the game with them trying to convert a 4th and 25 and not even let them get close to scoring as they nearly did.

LOL! That is a beautiful way to describe it because that is exactly what it looked like!

thunderclap
11-03-2014, 11:46 AM
The turnovers are what we gotta stop. So much of what looked like went wrong was brought on by our own hand. Of course, one easy way to have less turnovers is to stop letting people catch punts who can't catch punts.

BulldogDX55
11-03-2014, 11:48 AM
I am going to go one up on your called shot: If Ole Miss is still thinking about their losses, they take down both them and Mizzou and go bowling.

EdDawg
11-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Devon Bell had the catch of the night when he caught the high snap on our last punt.

Mjoelner34
11-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Devon Bell had the catch of the night when he caught the high snap on our last punt.

My heart just stopped again when I read that.

drunkernhelldawg
11-03-2014, 12:31 PM

I had forgotten that. Game Ball for that play.

War Machine Dawg
11-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Under offense point #3, Dak's first int didn't bother me as much as his second. When he got the snap, he stared down J-Rob on a wheel to the left to move the backers then slung it back to the right. The backer just didn't go with the fake and got the int. Even though he was staring down J-Rob, he was still wide open for about 15yards and that is where the ball should have gone. Even if we had completed the pass, that gain would have been shorter than had we hit a wide open Robinson on the wheel. Plus, there's a chance he could have taken it to the house since I think there was only 1 defender between him and the goal line.

Yep. Dak made up his mind where he was going with that pass pre-snap instead of going through his progression. That's still one of the bad habits he needs to improve.

War Machine Dawg
11-03-2014, 01:02 PM
The turnovers are what we gotta stop. So much of what looked like went wrong was brought on by our own hand. Of course, one easy way to have less turnovers is to stop letting people catch punts who can't catch punts.

Absolutely. I meant to make a point about that under the Coaching/Miscellaneous section and completely forgot. We aren't winning in T-Town if we turn it over multiple times. Hell, we might not win if we turn it over just once.

War Machine Dawg
11-03-2014, 01:05 PM
I am going to go one up on your called shot: If Ole Miss is still thinking about their losses, they take down both them and Mizzou and go bowling.

I can definitely see that. If TSUN thinks they're just going to walk into Fayetteville and win, they've got another thought coming. I won't say UPig WILL beat them, but what I will say is that they are most certainly built to beat the BearSharks. Mammoth OL with a commitment to power running between the tackles. And Mizzou is so inconsistent due to Maty Mauk, who knows what could happen in that one.

RougeDawg
11-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Nice piece. I think a lot of why we played the way we did was the horrific offensive play calling early. Dan had an off night and didn't have a good game plan to start out the game. 3 passing plays the first series and I believe 5 out of our 1st six plays is inexcusable with this offense. We were out of rhythm from the get Go and took almost the entire first half to get rolling. Can't do that in Tuscaloosa or we will be in a huge hole.

chef dixon
11-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Nice recap. I would definitely have to disagree about Arkansas winning the east given their showing against Georgia at home though.

War Machine Dawg
11-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Monday Night Football bump

Bass Chaser
11-03-2014, 09:16 PM
We also had one penalty on Beckwith and two on Day that hurt us. I may be wrong but I think these were on the same drive.

Coach34
11-03-2014, 09:28 PM
I agree about the off night playcalling by Mullen
Smokey should have been done 2 weeks ago.
I had forgotten about Bell's catch

Good work WMD- thanks for picking up the slack this week

War Machine Dawg
11-04-2014, 12:53 AM
I agree about the off night playcalling by Mullen
Smokey should have been done 2 weeks ago.
I had forgotten about Bell's catch

Good work WMD- thanks for picking up the slack this week

Thanks, Coach. Not a problem, I love talking football. And thankfully, there was plenty to talk about from this week's game. That's what happens when you play a close game and have to come from behind to win. We saw some real guts from the team this week. They got down, but they never panicked. They just went back to work, made plays when they needed to, and found a way to get the job done.

And I definitely forgot about Bell's catch, too. He deserves some major props for that. If he doesn't make that grab, it's a completely different game.

War Machine Dawg
11-04-2014, 12:56 AM
We also had one penalty on Beckwith and two on Day that hurt us. I may be wrong but I think these were on the same drive.

That was another point I meant to make and completely forgot. I think we had more penalties in that game than we've had all season. And most of them were of the silly pre-snap variety. Bear lines up offsides, Day false starts because he moves without snapping the ball, etc. Mental mistakes that we really haven't made all season. That's something else we can't afford to do in 2 weeks when we roll into T-Town if we want to win. Staying "on schedule" and ahead of the chains offensively will be crucial. Putting ourselves in multiple long yardage situations could make for a long day offensively.