PDA

View Full Version : Last play of OM vs. Auburn...legal?

Outside Dawg
11-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Anybody catch the last play of the OM vs. Auburn game. OM threw a forward pass, tossed a lateral to another player who threw backwards to Bo, who then threw a second forward pass. Looked almost rehearsed. Is there some crazy rule about a second forward pass being legal if its the original passer behind the LoS or something? No flag was thrown, though it was the last play of the game. It just seemed almost rehearsed, but I was sure it was illegal.

The only video I can find is this one, which doesn't show it well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnJtHiT50kc

TheRef
11-03-2014, 10:24 AM
You can't have two forward passes in a play. You just can't.

thf24
11-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Nope, only one forward pass allowed no matter where on the field it comes from/goes. If they indeed threw two forward passes on the final play, don't tell the ones writing up the excuse sheets.

Mjoelner34
11-03-2014, 10:35 AM
I don't know about college but in high school it is legal (or at lease used to be) IF and ONLY IF the ball never passes the line of scrimmage until the second forward pass is thrown. My highschool, Mt. Olive, beat Smithville in the state championship with that play when Steve McNair was the QB. The refs were notified of that play before the game so they wouldn't blow it dead when they saw a second forward pass.

godlluB
11-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm surprised the refs didn't call it, but since it was the last play of the game and Bucky was still frothing at the mouth over what he thought should have been a flag for a horse collar tackle on Treadwell (it wasn't), I guess maybe they decided just to get out of there.

Martianlander
11-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Definitely not a legal play.

TheRef
11-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Straight from the NCAA Rule Book:

Rule 7, Section 3, Article 1

SECTION 3. Forward Pass
Legal Forward Pass
ARTICLE 1. Team A may make one forward pass during each scrimmage down
before team possession changes, provided the pass is thrown from a point in or
behind the neutral zone.

chainedup_Dawg
11-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Nope, only one forward pass allowed no matter where on the field it comes from/goes. If they indeed threw two forward passes on the final play, don't tell the ones writing up the excuse sheets.

Now they'll just say, but, but, but the game can't end on a penalty. Since that should've been a penalty, we should've gotten another down.

deltadawg99
11-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Keep in mind this is the same officiating crew that allowed Auburn to play with 12 men on the field.

BulldogBear
11-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Can't tell anything from that video