PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere last night

DudyDawg
11-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Was it just me, or was it sub par. Obviously the fans won't be as rowdy as getting up 21-0 against number three auburn each game, but I thought the atmosphere lacked, especially with the music. I don't remember the no cowbell skit pregame. There were also multiple times when no music was playing at all between big defensive plays throught the game, even during our comeback. Also noticed the dj playing over the band multiple times. Another thing, recognizing alumni is great, but not every five minutes. It kills the crowd to have to shut up and listen to the pa guy talk for an entire time out

starkvegasdawg
11-02-2014, 08:02 PM
I thought the same thing. I brought my 5 year old so it didn't bother me it wasn't ear splitting loud, but place was pretty dead. Us going down 10 early and all the mistakes didn't help matters either. I don't get to go to many games but after about the 4th "will you direct your attention" I was to the point of not caring if they introduced the playmate of the year in the buff. All that did for me was make me grab my phone and check the latest posts on ED.

Smitty
11-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Mentioned this a few times in the game thread.. Tonight was easily one of the WORST uses of the jumbotron/hype music/generating atmosphere.

1. Advertisements - There were more tonight than all year combined. So many commercials and at the wrong time. I believe we had a huge stop in the 4th quarter and the first thing I hear is Renasant Bank..... Unacceptable. The tron killed crowd energy tonight.

2. Recognitions - There were so many of these. 85 Bulldogs and Armed forces members go for it... But there was one point tonight that we actually started some music that was CUT OUT to honor some cowgirl. W.T.F.

3. Silence - When there wasn't a commercial or recognition there was often...... crickets...... The silence was deafening.

4. The band - Ole Miss does this right. They have microphones at the band which plays through speakers around the stadium. Our band as it currently exists during the game is the most useless thing ever. Make it to where the crowd actually hears them or just let the band play at half and have no seating in the stands.

Just an amateurish night all around regarding this. Energy the first three quarters was abysmal. We are seeing our team ranked #1!!!! Act like it. My section (faculty), for the most part, was a morgue until the 4th Qtr. Completely different from A&M and Auburn. Fix this Scott!!! Ads and recognitions before the game and at halftime! We had been doing so well here, yet reverted back to the old BS tonight which was as bad as ever.

Rant over

From last night

bluelightstar
11-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Lots of folks sitting down during crucial 3rd and 4th downs in the 4th quarter in Section 18. It was actually kind of unreal.

sbcmortgageman
11-02-2014, 08:13 PM
I think we as fans have gotten spoiled by jumping out quick and leading throughout the game. Last night was the first time we'd been behind that much and that long. It was different for sure. However the 4th quarter was electric.

SapperDawg
11-02-2014, 08:27 PM
I dont know how or when we became a singing crowd/stadium, but the National Anthem last night was awesome. I have been severly moved several times while hearing it, but two come to mind immediately as stand-outs: once in Baghdad on a cold day in February 2007 at GEN Petraeus' change of command, and last night.

For the bad: something was just wong in general with the board/songs/timing last night. Lots of errors and the crowd never got in the groove as a result. Definately not as hyped as the AU game.

sleepy dawg
11-02-2014, 08:31 PM
The crowd was pretty on par to how it is for most games, which is sub par. Our crowd was good for a&m and Auburn, which has not been the norm.

Drugdog
11-02-2014, 08:36 PM
I told my brother, the Dog Walk was not very loud. Tame compared with the AU game.

civildawg
11-02-2014, 08:43 PM
The recognitions every timeout have to stop. Everybody around me was complaining about it. I just don't understa how we screw our in game atmosphere up but we do

thf24
11-02-2014, 08:44 PM
From last night

To your point #4, not that it should stop us since multiple other SEC schools do it with no issue, but mic'ing your band for the purpose of amplifying through a house system is technically illegal.

We really should do it though, our band just doesn't carry well due to the nature of our stadium. Especially now that they're back on the east side.

Todd4State
11-02-2014, 08:45 PM
The speakers need to be fixed too. It's bad.

DudyDawg
11-02-2014, 08:46 PM
From last night

I agree. Makes me wonder what a place like oregon who's extremely loud and comparable in size does as far as recognitions and getting the band and dj on the same page. It seemed like they just didn't plan it out very well

Todd4State
11-02-2014, 08:47 PM
To your point #4, not that it should stop us since multiple other SEC schools do it with no issue, but mic'ing your band for the purpose of amplifying through a house system is technically illegal.

We really should do it though, our band just doesn't carry well due to the nature of our stadium. Especially now that they're back on the east side.

They should have left them in the endzone. With the new structure there, the entire stadium would hear them without any issue. If they leave them where they are, then yes they need to miced up.

BulldogBear
11-02-2014, 08:50 PM
I dont know how or when we became a singing crowd/stadium, but the National Anthem last night was awesome. I have been severly moved several times while hearing it, but two come to mind immediately as stand-outs: once in Baghdad on a cold day in February 2007 at GEN Petraeus' change of command, and last night.

For the bad: something was just wong in general with the board/songs/timing last night. Lots of errors and the crowd never got in the groove as a result. Definately not as hyped as the AU game.

Agree.

I do agree with most of you that the atmosphere was nothing like TAMU or Auburn. Temperature can have a little to do with that as well. People wrapped in blankets tend to want to stay there. But, in my section (19) I didn't get to sit down much. We pretty much had to stand (and holler) except during timeouts because everyone else was too. I think people were into the game at an acceptable level. At least in my section. I think there might have been 10-12 total plays that I could see sitting down.

DudyDawg
11-02-2014, 08:55 PM
I really didn't mean this as far as on the fans for it not being as good as usual. Obviously we will be louder in a 2-3 matchup than an unranked one in the cold. Like someone said, going down early hurts too. Fans were okay, it was band/DJ/people on field not working well or together that hurt

Smitty
11-02-2014, 08:59 PM
The recognitions every timeout have to stop. Everybody around me was complaining about it. I just don't understand how we screw our in game atmosphere up but we do

Agreed, it's completely embarrassing.

The lack of music was the main issue. I swear it was as bad as it has EVER been last night thru 3 quarters. Why did we do different stuff for 3rd down all of a sudden? It has to be the bell tolling EVERY TIME.

AlSwearengen
11-02-2014, 09:03 PM
sounds like they reverted back to a couple of years ago when I left the a&m game promising not to come back until that shit got fixed.

You could definitely tell on T.V. that the crowd was half asleep. Even during crucial third downs, it was pretty bad.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-02-2014, 09:19 PM
I think when "Don't Stop Believin" started playing between the 3rd and 4th quarter, the whole atmosphere changed. I love it with the whole stadium singing it, and I hope it's a thing at all future games (I know it's been played all year), I'm talking 2015 and beyond.

CadaverDawg
11-02-2014, 09:22 PM
The fact that they eliminated the "more cowbell" skit, really pissed me off. I love that and it usually gets the crowd pumped.

The fact that every single dead ball we had to trot out the Jones family for being the first to take shits in the expansion, and everything else, was embarrassing. Enough with the recognitions. If you want to recognize everybody that has ever graduated from MSU or bought a hot dog at the stadium, then cut the band short and just spend 5-10 minutes of halftime dedicated to acknowledgements. This isn't a damn Graduation with a football game in between....cut the bullshit, Scott. We're number 1 let's start acting like it. We shouldn't have to pat every Tom, Dick, and Harry on the back for throwing a $20 in the offering plate...our program is earning those donations without having to beg so hard anymore hopefully.

On a positive, it is truly amazing the way our fan base handles the "ring responsibly" campaign. It goes from all bell to all yell as the center goes over the ball. Kudos to our fans for this.

DudyDawg
11-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Scott's message to be better about the bell seems to have made an impact. Haven't seen the replay, but it seemed like we were very good about it again.

mstatefan91
11-02-2014, 09:25 PM
The fact that they eliminated the "more cowbell" skit, really pissed me off. I love that and it usually gets the crowd pumped.

The fact that every single dead ball we had to trot out the Jones family for being the first to take shits in the expansion, and everything else, was embarrassing. Enough with the recognitions. If you want to recognize everybody that has ever graduated from MSU or bought a hot dog at the stadium, then cut the band short and just spend 5-10 minutes of halftime dedicated to acknowledgements. This isn't a damn Graduation with a football game in between....cut the bullshit, Scott. We're number 1 let's start acting like it. We shouldn't have to pat every Tom, Dick, and Harry on the back for throwing a $20 in the offering plate...our program is earning those donations without having to beg so hard anymore hopefully.

On a positive, it is truly amazing the way our fan base handles the "ring responsibly" campaign. It goes from all bell to all yell as the center goes over the ball. Kudos to our fans for this.

Wait they eliminated the "more cowbell" skit or they just left it out last night?

If they truly eliminated it then I want to know why

CadaverDawg
11-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Wait they eliminated the "more cowbell" skit or they just left it out last night?

If they truly eliminated it then I want to know why

I just meant eliminating it from last night's events. Im sure it will be back. It better

UMCDawg16
11-02-2014, 09:27 PM
The cold had more to do with it than anything. I was freezing my butt off. I think most people weren't getting rowdy because they were so cold.

Todd4State
11-02-2014, 09:28 PM
I think recognizing people is OK. But the brunt of the recognitions should occur during UT-Martin or a game like that rather than a real SEC game. Make it all part of the "homecoming" fa?ade that is an archaic tradition.

Smitty
11-02-2014, 09:32 PM
We reverted back to the "hey here's some music 10 seconds before a kickoff, that should be hype sufficient!1!!!!111"

From the time the players run out till kickoff has to be hype. **** the maroon white cheer (brought to you by some damn dealership). **** the creepy silence. **** the band. We're number one in the country damnit!

And to the fans... Sub par last night and I'll just leave it at that. We are number one. You better not even think about not packing that stadium out to the max for these two "lesser" games.

I for one cannot WAIT for T-Town and Oxford. Like the 300 Spartans those sections of maroon will be filled with some loud hardcore dawgs! You DO NOT want to miss this Egg Bowl. After an Arkansas win sinks the sharks those tickets will be prime for the plucking. Turn Vaught maroon!

JDog13
11-02-2014, 09:35 PM
The atmosphere would be aided by drinks coming in these.

http://www.gthom.biz/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_8330-e1414088727220-224x300.jpg

jbjones
11-02-2014, 09:39 PM
The atmosphere would be aided by drinks coming in these.

http://www.gthom.biz/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_8330-e1414088727220-224x300.jpg

Holy DawgShiat, where can a Dawg get one (or twelve) of these!!!!?!?!!!??

thf24
11-02-2014, 09:40 PM
They should have left them in the endzone. With the new structure there, the entire stadium would hear them without any issue. If they leave them where they are, then yes they need to miced up.

A move back to the endzone was looked into, but there isn't a section in the expansion that can fit them efficiently. They're currently stuck in the old spot on the east, and I agree they need to be mic'd there.

JDog13
11-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Holy DawgShiat, where can a Dawg get one (or twelve) of these!!!!?!?!!!??

GTHOM tab, top of the page.

LC Dawg
11-02-2014, 09:57 PM
I just got in from Starkville so I don't know what's been mentioned in other threads but I agree with the atmosphere not being good. However, since the students have caught some grief before, I would like to commend them. I thought they were way more into the game than the rest of the stadium. It was great to see the players feed off the students and see the students feed off the players.
Something was just off last night. I'm in Section 19 and I think I had to let people out of our row about 100 times during the game. Everyone just kept leaving and coming back. They just weren't into the game. After one guy left for the fifth time I asked him if he noticed we were in a tight ball game. It pissed him off but he didn't leave again.

maroonmania
11-02-2014, 10:43 PM
The cold had more to do with it than anything. I was freezing my butt off. I think most people weren't getting rowdy because they were so cold.

I agree that played a big factor but overall around me the atmosphere was pretty good, nothing like the fever pitch we had for Auburn and A&M but certainly well above crowds we normally have had over the last 5 years. I think it was a combination of the weather and just the fact that Arkansas wasn't a "Top 10 matchup" that got everyone jazzed like the last 2 home games plus we never seem to be "up" for Arkansas (fans or team). I don't know exactly why just the way its been plus the fact they are winless in the SEC didn't help. I agree that a better effort from game management from the video boards and what not could have helped but I don't think anything would have gotten the crowd to the electric atmosphere it was the past 2 home games.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-02-2014, 11:08 PM
I agree that played a big factor but overall around me the atmosphere was pretty good, nothing like the fever pitch we had for Auburn and A&M but certainly well above crowds we normally have had over the last 5 years. I think it was a combination of the weather and just the fact that Arkansas wasn't a "Top 10 matchup" that got everyone jazzed like the last 2 home games plus we never seem to be "up" for Arkansas (fans or team). I don't know exactly why just the way its been plus the fact they are winless in the SEC didn't help. I agree that a better effort from game management from the video boards and what not could have helped but I don't think anything would have gotten the crowd to the electric atmosphere it was the past 2 home games.

I wouldn't say never, the 2010 game against Arkansas was a pretty epic atmosphere even though it ended up in a loss

Gen. Grant
11-02-2014, 11:35 PM
I know someone mentioned putting microphones on the band, that is a great idea. However, they need to fix or ad better sounding speakers before they do that. They are complete shit. I would hate for the speakers to mess with the sound of the band and create a mixture of distorted music.

Smitty
11-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Good point on the other site, the rushed 85 team tribute. Horrible planning. Nearly a delay of game penalty.

I swear that mess of a production the whole game warrants someone's job. It is inexcusable the mistakes and lack of planning. Whoever is calling the shots is obviously not a football fan/knows the time to do certain things. Atmosphere is NOT a place to save a few bucks Scott… Steamed about this. How do we **** this up when everyone else can get it right.

DawgHouseUnited
11-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Lots of folks sitting down during crucial 3rd and 4th downs in the 4th quarter in Section 18. It was actually kind of unreal.

Not where I was- around rows 17-19ish we stood up most of the entire game.

FlabLoser
11-03-2014, 09:30 AM
I yelled like H-E-L-L, but I noticed it just wasn't electric in there.

Too many commercials too. Each week, the A/V team amazes me their ability to screw up A/V tools and spoil moments inside the stadium. This week's special was squeezing in a couple commercials before Don't Stop Believing.

EdDawg
11-03-2014, 09:41 AM
We have a big number of people that go to the games and think they are sitting in front of their television, maybe it's the jumbotrons. I sit in section 5 and I am one of the few that stands and yells on EVERY defensive play, like I know that most of this site do as well. However there is a big number of fans that never stand or yell unless it's 3rd down then maybe half do.

Also people need to realize that if you stand and are yelling or really into the game, you won't realize how cold you are.

maroonmania
11-03-2014, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't say never, the 2010 game against Arkansas was a pretty epic atmosphere even though it ended up in a loss

Was mainly speaking to going back from when Arkansas came into the SEC and their game with us always seemingly being sandwiched between Bama and OM. But 2010 was definitely an exception with a high rated Petrino Arkansas team that came in with us trying to get a breakthrough win. Crowd was terrific that night and way above the norm.

DawgHouseUnited
11-03-2014, 09:54 AM
We have a big number of people that go to the games and think they are sitting in front of their television, maybe it's the jumbotrons. I sit in section 5 and I am one of the few that stands and yells on EVERY defensive play, like I know that most of this site do as well. However there is a big number of fans that never stand or yell unless it's 3rd down then maybe half do.

Also people need to realize that if you stand and are yelling or really into the game, you won't realize how cold you are.

Maybe it was that or my extra insulation, but all I had was a sweatshirt and I didn't get cold. Saw all sorts of #freezing tweets and couldn't believe it. What did it get down to during the game- mid 40's? I carried my father-in-law and he didn't even put on the fleece that I supplied.

maroonmania
11-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Good point on the other site, the rushed 85 team tribute. Horrible planning. Nearly a delay of game penalty.

I swear that mess of a production the whole game warrants someone's job. It is inexcusable the mistakes and lack of planning. Whoever is calling the shots is obviously not a football fan/knows the time to do certain things. Atmosphere is NOT a place to save a few bucks Scott… Steamed about this. How do we **** this up when everyone else can get it right.

Just hated that with the first time the 85 team has fully reunited in nearly 30 years that the whole thing got rushed because of them trying to fit it in a TV timeout. Just plain out terrible stupidity on someone's part. Why couldn't that have been done at a quarter break or even halftime? Look, I'm down with the patriotic halftime show but it should have been shortened to give the 85 baseball team their just recognition if needed. We can do a patriotic show anytime but the 85 team may NEVER be back on campus together ever again.

TheRef
11-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Just hated that with the first time the 85 team has fully reunited in nearly 30 years that the whole thing got rushed because of them trying to fit it in a TV timeout. Just plain out terrible stupidity on someone's part. Why couldn't that have been done at a quarter break or even halftime? Look, I'm down with the patriotic halftime show but it should have been shortened to give the 85 baseball team their just recognition if needed. We can do a patriotic show anytime but the 85 team may NEVER be back on campus together ever again.

Agreed....I think they should have done it between quarters.

Maroonthirteen
11-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Speaking of cold reminded me of a tshirt I saw.

Anybody see the Stark F---- Ville (front) B---- I'm a Dawg (back) tshirts? I saw some guy with a duffle bag full near the junction. I thought nobody will buy that garbage. During the game some kid walked by my seats with the tshirt on. I say, "don't you want to put a jacket on?" Kid didn't get what I was hinting. SMH

drunkernhelldawg
11-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Speaking of cold reminded me of a tshirt I saw.

Anybody see the Stark F---- Ville (front) B---- I'm a Dawg (back) tshirts? I saw some guy with a duffle bag full near the junction. I thought nobody will buy that garbage. During the game some kid walked by my seats with the tshirt on. I say, "don't you want to put a jacket on?" Kid didn't get what I was hinting. SMH

Hopefully our marketing dept. busted his stealing ass.

dawgpound
11-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Just like the players, its hard for the fans to have the same enthusiasm and get up for every single game. The Auburn game had much more energy but this can be expected.

RougeDawg
11-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Scott's message to be better about the bell seems to have made an impact. Haven't seen the replay, but it seemed like we were very good about it again.

Maybe we need to resend the message to Scott about keeping the atmosphere electric during the games and stop killing the mood.