PDA

View Full Version : Who is in charge of our kick return game?

CadaverDawg
11-02-2014, 07:01 PM
I haven't seen a worse approach to kick returns at any level than what we have. We have a guy with "so called" world class speed in Holloway, and he dances and loafs up to the 20 without ever reaching top end speed. Same with Robert Johnson except for the speed part. But why is Johnson even back there? I used to think it was for blocking purposes, but that's pointless because our returners don't hit a hole.

Can we please put a return man out there that at least has some potential of busting a big return? If you don't want it to be a starter, let Jamoral Graham return. Or put a defender back there like Cox or Redmond. Hell, anybody would be better, but none of them will work if they aren't told to run hard and quit dancing.

It makes me sick because we lose so much potential field position every game with such a bad return game. We had several lanes last night, but didn't have a returner that could hit them.

Of course, it could be worse...we aren't fumbling like punt return is. Punt return is atrocious too though.

Rant over

thf24
11-02-2014, 07:05 PM
It's also stupid to put RoJo back there as a blocker because teams have figured out by now that's exactly what he is, so of course they intentionally kick it to him instead of the guy he's supposed to set up.

Dallas_Dawg
11-02-2014, 07:14 PM
You would have to believe that Cox, Redmond, Myles, etc have a problem fielding the ball, holding on to the ball, or both.
Otherwise, there's no reason why they should not have been given a shot at this point.
I think Holloway brings nothing to the table. Against bad tackling teams (aTm), he looks ok but against anybody that teaches how to tackle, he has no chance. He is fast but doesn't have the moves or vision to make up for his size

DudyDawg
11-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Put Gabe back there

CadaverDawg
11-02-2014, 07:18 PM
You would have to believe that Cox, Redmond, Myles, etc have a problem fielding the ball, holding on to the ball, or both.
Otherwise, there's no reason why they should not have been given a shot at this point.
I think Holloway brings nothing to the table. Against bad tackling teams (aTm), he looks ok but against anybody that teaches how to tackle, he has no chance. He is fast but doesn't have the moves or vision to make up for his size

Totally agree about Holloway. I think he is a great kid, but IMO he just doesn't belong on the field in SEC play.

And thf24, I completely agree with your comment about people figuring out RoJo and kicking him the ball on purpose

Todd4State
11-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Holloway is a track guy playing football at this point. He's only a sophomore though so there is still time for him to improve. Of course, it seems to me that track guys playing football usually don't end up working out most of the time for whatever reason.

Joe Schmedlap
11-02-2014, 07:30 PM

I fully agree with you on Holloway.

State82
11-02-2014, 07:48 PM
You gotta be fearless to return kicks. We are too tentative and that approach gets you nowhere on a kickoff return.

Dawgcentral
11-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Seems like if we are going to put Holloway back there, we'd do our best to set up blocking for a return on the edge. The guy just can't break a tackle up the middle, and I'd think we'd use his speed in the hope of breaking one outside.

Flood one side with blockers and hope for a seam he can get through.

starkvegasdawg
11-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Hell, at least we haven't muffed a kick return...yet. While not what we want, at least we aren't the keystone cops on kick return. Punt return is what I have no patience for. We're the #1 team in the nation and our butt holes pucker up like we're about to take a prison shower every time we have to field a punt. I almost wish we wouldn't even have a punt returner. Just let the ball roll to a stop. At least we know our offense will be taking the field.

BulldogBear
11-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Put Gabe back there

^ This. Right. Here.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Below is a post I made on 9/1 regarding our punt returns. This was actually posted before Graham started returning punts. I wish Dan would put him on kick returns also. I do think Graham is more shifty than Ross and possibly faster straight ahead and is our future at returns, but I would go with Ross the rest of this year if it were me.

Someone who "looks the part" to me that would have the speed you want plus is strong enough to make that first or second guy miss is Fred Ross. I just think Jameon and Holloway go down too easy....that's when they actually catch the ball.