PDA

View Full Version : anyone else see Hughesp Gobbelberger's lastest progaganda piece?

civilengineerdog
11-02-2014, 03:27 PM
He is technically correct, they are in year 3, but instead of a recap, he pens a pep talk for the faithful

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2014/11/01/kellenberger-auburn-loss-egg-bowl-now-biggest-game-left-ole-miss/18359099/

Kellenberger: Egg Bowl now biggest game left for Ole Miss

OXFORD ? There's only one game that matters anymore.

It's on Nov. 29, and it's the Egg Bowl. You may have heard of it.

Should No. 7 Ole Miss, 35-31 losers to No. 4 Auburn on Saturday, beat Mississippi State on that day, everything is forgiven. The time when Ole Miss was in the first four-team College Football Playoff bracket will be a fond memory, and Rebel fans will gleefully make their bowl trip (The Chick-fil-A Bowl? Why not. Somewhere in Florida? That sounds fine too.).

And then there's Mississippi State, and the sweet solace to this season would be a win in Oxford that could dowse the Bulldogs' own championship hopes.

The way Ole Miss lost on Saturday was particularly cruel, the kind of gut-wrenching that churns even the most hardened stomachs. There Ole Miss was, driving for a game-winning touchdown with 90 seconds remaining, and quarterback Bo Wallace found wide receiver Laquon Treadwell open at the 20 on a short screen pass. Treadwell, the No. 1 wide receiver, was breaking through tackles, determined to score on that play. And there he was, with his body in the endzone and the ball at the 1, when disaster happened. Two Auburn players collided to make the hit, trapping Treadwell. His face instantly told the story of agony and injury (a leg fracture), and what is not at all relevant in the big picture but mattered on the scoreboard was that Treadwell had fumbled the ball.

Auburn recovered it, and won the game. That's it: in a wild game with multiple lead changes. Ole Miss fumbled the ball twice inside the 5-yard line in the final seven minutes. The first one, by Wallace when he reached back to try to get one more yard, hurt. The second was a killer.

Turning point: Injury to Treadwell changed game

"When you see your young men put so much into preparing for games like tonight, and he hurt they go through ? You feel like you played well enough to win it," Freeze said.

There's a very reasonable argument to be made that Ole Miss is only in year 3 of a total (repeat, total) rebuild, and to even be anywhere is a gift and a testament to the work Freeze and his staff is putting in. But college football was not made for reasonable arguments, it was made for unreasonable people who want it all right now. They thought they had it to, when this team was 7-0 and No. 3 in the country. LSU and Auburn? Who cares. How about Florida State in the Sugar Bowl?, they said.

CadaverDawg
11-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Wait, I thought they didn't care about that game vs us?*

This is going to cause quite a conundrum for the Bears....do they go with the propaganda, or keep up the "MSU isn't our rival, we don't care" attitude? Ruh roh

PMDawg
11-02-2014, 03:33 PM
I hear "20 Quarters from Pasedena" is currently in production.

Goat Holder
11-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Hugh doesn't realize we get a mulligan. If we beat Alabama then the Egg Bowl will simply be for pride, and that renders his "dowse our championship hopes" bit useless. Well, assuming Alabama loses to either LSU or Auburn, as I suspect they will.

msstate7
11-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Treadwell, the No. 1 wide receiver...

Where does he get this ranking?

I doubt HK can even sit down from all the butt hurt. That reads more like a message board rant than an article

CadaverDawg
11-02-2014, 03:35 PM
I hear "20 Quarters from Pasedena" is currently in production.

+1 that was great

RougeDawg
11-02-2014, 03:41 PM
How is a total (repeat total) rebuild with all those crootin championship bannersthey have hung the last decade?

msstate7
11-02-2014, 03:44 PM
How is a total (repeat total) rebuild with all those crootin championship bannersthey have hung the last decade?

This was really their year. They do have the great recruiting class guys again next season, but they lose their qb on both sides of the ball (Bo and prewitt). They don't have a qb to win big next year

1bigdawg
11-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Hugh doesn't realize we get a mulligan. If we beat Alabama then the Egg Bowl will simply be for pride, and that renders his "dowse our championship hopes" bit useless. Well, assuming Alabama loses to either LSU or Auburn, as I suspect they will.

If we beat Bama and Vandy, then we are the SECW champs. It does not matter what Bama, which has two SEC losses does or for that matter Auburn who I believe will win out at least until the playoffs.

hacker
11-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Treadwell, the No. 1 wide receiver...

Where does he get this ranking?

I doubt HK can even sit down from all the butt hurt. That reads more like a message board rant than an article

okay, I hate OM and that guy and everything but.. he's their #1 WR. that's all I got from that statement.

msstate7
11-02-2014, 04:51 PM
okay, I hate OM and that guy and everything but.. he's their #1 WR. that's all I got from that statement.

Maybe so. Does hugh have to explain to his audience (OM fans) that treadwell is their best wr? I don't think that's what he meant, but I could certainly be wrong

RougeDawg
11-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Maybe so. Does hugh have to explain to his audience (OM fans) that treadwell is their best wr? I don't think that's what he meant, but I could certainly be wrong

Maybe Hugh is taking into account the intelligence of their fan base, or lack thereof, snd having to tell them Paidwell's jersey number. But to their defense, it's damn near impossible to see the jersey numbers from the grove or read the numbers after drinking like fish before the game.

IMissJack
11-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Nice

Dawgface
11-02-2014, 05:05 PM
I wonder how fired up they will be after a loss to Arky? We could see a team that has basically thrown in the towel. Of course if we come in 11-0, you know they would love nothing better than to crap on our season.

msstate7
11-02-2014, 05:07 PM
I wonder how fired up they will be after a loss to Arky? We could see a team that has basically thrown in the towel. Of course if we come in 11-0, you know they would love nothing better than to crap on our season.

If we're 11-0, we'll already be west champs

AlmostPositive
11-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Huge Kill'a'burger does not write at all well, so he compensates with museum quality homerism. I find him fairly easy to ignore.

RougeDawg
11-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Huge Kill'a'burger does not write at all well, so he compensates with museum quality homerism. I find him fairly easy to ignore.

Until you have the window seat and he's on the aisle when you need to piss really bad.