PDA

View Full Version : Another NCAA Enforcemet Official to SEC Compliance...

engie
06-11-2013, 12:44 PM
@ UK - http://www.ukathletics.com/genrel/061113aaa.html

This is the 3rd or 4th time it's happened this offseason. The goals are obvious -- to exploit what's allowable to the greatest extent possible. Meanwhile, we are still hanging out with a highschool principal as our Compliance Director. This is the single biggest problem holding back our football program -- and athletics programs in general. The Redmond situation never, ever exists anywhere else in the SEC. It's simply swept under the rug....

Yet, now we have our hands tied in recruiting for 7 years essentially -- since that's the length of time that we fall under the repeat offenders clause...

@ Auburn - http://college-football.si.com/2013/04/15/ncaa-enforcement-official-auburn/

Coach34
06-11-2013, 12:54 PM
wow- we put ourselves on ****ing probation by digging up dirt that the NCAA couldnt find- not to mention sending Redmond and his mother into an NCAA meeting with no legal representation, and other schools are hiring former NCAA guys to bolster their compliance dept's

As much as I hate this saying- We are M-State

The Croom Diaries
06-11-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't understand why people praise Bracky Brett all day long without realizing what a dope he is. The news comes out Friday and I see people saying, 'oh what a great job by MSU compliance'. Um, no, what a terrible job by MSU compliance. Brett is running scared because like you say he is a high school football and baseball coach. Look at all the success we have had in every sport after we got rid of all the deadwood in the Larry Templeton administration. Brett is the only one left and he is pissing all over our football program. For the love of God, Stricklin, fire this guy, reassign him - whatever you do HIRE SOMEONE ELSE!

Coach34
06-11-2013, 01:08 PM
yep- what people dont understand is that Devinner only knew a few things- Bracky and MSU Compliance dug up other things to give to the NCAA- making things worse. You think Miami, Auburn, or any other school did this while they were being investigated? We helped them put ourselves on probation

Goat Holder
06-11-2013, 01:10 PM
All this may be true, but.....

Mirando got caught in the middle of it. <------ This is what put us on probation.

I've seen varying stories on Bracky Brett. I'm not making judgment on him because I don't know him.

Coach34
06-11-2013, 01:18 PM
nm

engie
06-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Yeah, he's being praised by people on the other end of the compliance spectrum whose jobs he has continually makes incredibly easy. That is NOT good for MSU -- it's good for the compliance official that can sit on his ass and wait for Brett, himself, to hammer us.

The mishandling of the Redmond situation was criminal. Had "we" looked out for HIS(and thus OUR) best interest, he would have been warned of being called into questioning, given a heads up what it was about, and advised of his right to an attorney. 5 minutes talking to any enforcement attorney worth his salt(especially if we f'n had one in our compliance dept like everyone else does) and Redmond denies everything -- what little bits of evidence that were out there goes away -- the NCAA has jack shit on us other than a fat bastard's word who was a proven liar -- and we skate without this BS ever even making news.

Instead, we call in a kid "cold turkey" -- without representation -- and ask him a bunch of tough questions without any type of heads up. This is where we end up -- on 2 years probation(really 7 years) -- down 4 scholarships -- under investigation for a year(which almost certainly was used against us in recruiting in a big way) -- and a kid that loses SEVENTEEN GAMES of eligibility for his potential collegiate career -- over a $2k discount on a car and about $500 in impermissible benefits -- all because he answered questions honestly without representation of an attorney. I had tons of buddies that played college BASEBALL that got WAYYYY more in impermissible benefits than Redmond was caught with. Why would a kid want to play for a school that is going to throw him under the bus like that -- instead of protecting him and his interests while his dad cashes a $180k check?

You can blame Mullen for our recruiting troubles all you want -- but this shit plays a role. If a kid can go to school A -- get impermissible benefits openly -- and be protected by the school..... or school B -- where they damn sure better keep anything they get a secret or the school is going to hammer them and axe half of their career there -- which school do you think they are picking? I know what my answer would be...

engie
06-11-2013, 01:30 PM
I've seen varying stories on Bracky Brett. I'm not making judgment on him because I don't him.

He's a local Starkville highschool principal/baseball/fooball coach -- doing a job that EVERYONE else has hired LAWYERS to do, most of which had worked in NCAA compliance for years on the Enforcement Committee -- SURELY you see the big ass f'n problem here...

It's got nothing to do with him personally. It's got everything to do with his lack of qualification to do his job -- and his lack of a modern approach to that job.

AROB44
06-11-2013, 01:42 PM
I don't understand why people praise Bracky Brett all day long without realizing what a dope he is. The news comes out Friday and I see people saying, 'oh what a great job by MSU compliance'. Um, no, what a terrible job by MSU compliance. Brett is running scared because like you say he is a high school football and baseball coach. Look at all the success we have had in every sport after we got rid of all the deadwood in the Larry Templeton administration. Brett is the only one left and he is pissing all over our football program. For the love of God, Stricklin, fire this guy, reassign him - whatever you do HIRE SOMEONE ELSE!

Totally agree with everything you said. However, don't forget Duncan McKenzie. He is definitely a LT person as well. As usual, we make the same mistake over and over again.....not cleaning house completely.

Homedawg
06-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Yeah, he's being praised by people on the other end of the compliance spectrum whose jobs he has continually makes incredibly easy. That is NOT good for MSU -- it's good for the compliance official that can sit on his ass and wait for Brett, himself, to hammer us.

The mishandling of the Redmond situation was criminal. Had "we" looked out for HIS(and thus OUR) best interest, he would have been warned of being called into questioning, given a heads up what it was about, and advised of his right to an attorney. 5 minutes talking to any enforcement attorney worth his salt(especially if we f'n had one in our compliance dept like everyone else does) and Redmond denies everything -- what little bits of evidence that were out there goes away -- the NCAA has jack shit on us other than a fat bastard's word who was a proven liar -- and we skate without this BS ever even making news.

Instead, we call in a kid "cold turkey" -- without representation -- and ask him a bunch of tough questions without any type of heads up. This is where we end up -- on 2 years probation(really 7 years) -- down 4 scholarships -- under investigation for a year(which almost certainly was used against us in recruiting in a big way) -- and a kid that loses SEVENTEEN GAMES of eligibility for his potential collegiate career -- over a $2k discount on a car and about $500 in impermissible benefits -- all because he answered questions honestly without representation of an attorney. I had tons of buddies that played college BASEBALL that got WAYYYY more in impermissible benefits than Redmond was caught with. Why would a kid want to play for a school that is going to throw him under the bus like that -- instead of protecting him and his interests while his dad cashes a $180k check?

You can blame Mullen for our recruiting troubles all you want -- but this shit plays a role. If a kid can go to school A -- get impermissible benefits openly -- and be protected by the school..... or school B -- where they damn sure better keep anything they get a secret or the school is going to hammer them and axe half of their career there -- which school do you think they are picking? I know what my answer would be...

Based on what I've heard- Redmond didn't tell the truth when he was first called in. Not saying he should or shouldn't have. But he didn't. That's why he got the year. The 5 games were taking the stuff the year for lying. And I'm not disagreeing w your assessment, just pointing this out.

Coach34
06-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Based on what I've heard- Redmond didn't tell the truth when he was first called in. Not saying he should or shouldn't have. But he didn't. That's why he got the year. The 5 games were taking the stuff the year for lying. And I'm not disagreeing w your assessment, just pointing this out.

Wonder what Redmond's lawyer advised him to say? Oh wait....

sandwolf
06-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Correct.

Ghost of Hank Flick
06-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Great points here about ole Bracky. If I've read the report correctly, MSU is the one who appraised the car for $2K less than the purchase price. Again, MSU is the one who appraised the car. Seriously, how hard is it to slip the guy appraising the car $100, $200, hell give him $10K to make sure that car appraises for the purchase price. If you don't want to do that, take it to another appraiser because it is a very subjective thing anyway...you could take a car you think is worth $5K to 5 different dealerships and have prices ranging from $1500 to $6000. You never know.

engie
06-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Wonder what Redmond's lawyer advised him to say? Oh wait....

Bingo.

We screwed the kid in this. Point blank. And it's ridiculously shortsighted to think that our approach here won't consistently hurt us going forward.

maroonmania
06-11-2013, 02:26 PM
All this may be true, but.....

Mirando got caught in the middle of it. <------ This is what put us on probation.

I've seen varying stories on Bracky Brett. I'm not making judgment on him because I don't know him.

Mirando got caught in the middle of it by who? I bet it wasn't the NCAA. Now I don't know if Devinner was in the know on Mirando or not or what was even driving him to blab to the NCAA (I've heard some OM folks were paying him behind the scenes but I don't know). Anyway, the day Bracky Brett is shown the door and we bring in legal people to handle our compliance will only be second to the day we put LT out to pasture.

State82
06-11-2013, 07:12 PM
He's a local Starkville highschool principal/baseball/fooball coach -- doing a job that EVERYONE else has hired LAWYERS to do, most of which had worked in NCAA compliance for years on the Enforcement Committee -- SURELY you see the big ass f'n problem here...

It's got nothing to do with him personally. It's got everything to do with his lack of qualification to do his job -- and his lack of a modern approach to that job.

Engie bringing the heat. Again. I have no earthly idea why we do not have the pertinent qualifications in this position. It is one of several things still holding the athletic department at bay. We are getting close, but this situation needs to be rectified. Now. I have nothing against Brett at all. Nothing. But, even though I am an engineer, I'm not going out and producing a set of structural plans for a 20-story office building. It's not what I do. And Bracky does not need to be doing what he is doing. This is a specialized position for a particular type of legal counsel. There are PLENTY of qualified people around that would love to have this job. Have them linked with a larger firm to handle particularly dicey situations, pay them what they need, and, problem solved.