PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else surprised by the JT Gray redshirt removal last night?

CadaverDawg
11-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Not sure if it has been discussed, but I was surprised by it. Collins must feel like he could be a 3 year guy, because I just can't understand that move unless our depth at that particular Dez Harris spot was thinner than I realized. I don't question the decision because Collins and Mullen know the roster and depth best, but I was just wondering what everyone thought about that decision. Did he play any outside of the special teams unit? I didn't notice at the game.

smootness
11-02-2014, 02:14 PM
I think he was just in on special teams, but I'm fine with it. Jackson is now out along with Harris, and I'm sure we think he helps on special teams as well as getting his feet wet in case he's called upon late in the year.

When you lose some depth at LB, you have to make sure you're prepared so you don't get in a battle against someone like Alabama and realize you have to suddenly use a kid who has never had any game action.

I have heard great things about Gray, and I'm sure we think he'll play a big role next year with McKinney and Wells leaving. We don't have to redshirt everybody, so I'm fine with it.

CadaverDawg
11-02-2014, 02:16 PM
I think he was just in on special teams, but I'm fine with it. Jackson is now out along with Harris, and I'm sure we think he helps on special teams as well as getting his feet wet in case he's called upon late in the year.

When you lose some depth at LB, you have to make sure you're prepared so you don't get in a battle against someone like Alabama and realize you have to suddenly use a kid who has never had any game action.

I have heard great things about Gray, and I'm sure we think he'll play a big role next year with McKinney and Wells leaving. We don't have to redshirt everybody, so I'm fine with it.

Jackson is out? How did I miss this? What happened with him?

defiantdog
11-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Jackson is out? How did I miss this? What happened with him?

He's injured.... not sure how long though. He was in the game last night but not much. Gray is mainly replacing Dez Harris' spot on special teams. And we lose McKinney, Wells and Turtle next year.... so the exposure can only help.

I doubt Gray will see any time on D though.... I'm pretty sure the coaches will just plug in Antoine if needed.

HoopsDawg
11-02-2014, 02:26 PM
People on here will argue with me, but it's a terrible decision. I hate it for Gray.

CadaverDawg
11-02-2014, 02:30 PM
People on here will argue with me, but it's a terrible decision. I hate it for Gray.

Gray had to have agreed with it. Mullen always gives guys a choice. Don't worry about Gray. Besides, if reports are true, that kid could be good enough to be gone after his Junior year anyway, so let him loose

defiantdog
11-02-2014, 02:33 PM

I agree, it sucks.... but there's got to be a reason.

SheltonChoked
11-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Im fine with it. With Harris out, jackson injured, and rich brown dinged in the first half im glad he was able to play. For this season, I want Mullen to play for to win. If it means burning a redshirt in the ole miss game, if the coaches think it means a win.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-02-2014, 03:11 PM
With Harris out & Jackson not dressed he was the next man up. Not knowing how long Jackson is gonna be out it totally could be the right move. We only played 5 LB last night on defense. If 1 of them would've went down then we're down to 4 we didn't want to take that chance. Also we may play up to 15 games this year. Gray may literally play half a season.