PDA

View Full Version : West Point

Fred Garvin
11-02-2014, 12:27 PM
This may have been posted before so excuse my asking again. Why does West Point not have a bypass? Sat in traffic for 30 minutes at midnight backed up south of the Wal Mart.

thedawg
11-02-2014, 12:54 PM
I live in west point... There are ways to bypass it..
U can turn at the fast break and snake around through neighborhoods and pop out by the hospital... There will be a few turns... Mapquest it
.. It will save you 30 minutes

chainedup_Dawg
11-02-2014, 01:26 PM
I live in west point... There are ways to bypass it..
U can turn at the fast break and snake around through neighborhoods and pop out by the hospital... There will be a few turns... Mapquest it
.. It will save you 30 minutes

This. You can also turn by John's Grocery before you get into town and go through Tibbee. You'll have to go down a gravel road but saves a ton of time when traffic is backed up.

Maroonthirteen
11-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Question that mostly likely would resolve traffic, why the hell are the timing of the lights so short at 10-11pm on Saturday night! It isn't like there is anyone traveling east and west on 50 at that time. Have a cop manually operate, switch it to blinking yellow, something.

Fred Garvin
11-02-2014, 01:46 PM
I saw people peeling off at the Fast Track, but I chickened out on following them. I agree with the Maroon Thirteen that the problem is that light at Main Street. Why in the hell do you have left turn only lights in the middle of the night? Why could you not post a highway patrolman there for a couple of hours? Would make a huge difference.

That all being said, I'm still fascinated why West Point doesn't have a bypass unlike practically every town in MS with more than 50 people on a U.S. highway.

Goat Holder
11-02-2014, 01:54 PM
As with Reform and Gordo in Alabama, it's a combination of demand and feasibility. Can't make everyone happy. Alt 45 is a bypass in and of itself. Okolona, Shannon and all those towns are already bypassed, but nobody seems to appreciate that.

drunkernhelldawg
11-02-2014, 02:15 PM
As with Reform and Gordo in Alabama, it's a combination of demand and feasibility. Can't make everyone happy. Alt 45 is a bypass in and of itself. Okolona, Shannon and all those towns are already bypassed, but nobody seems to appreciate that.

This. I can't imagine how you would construct a bypass for the point, considering how it's laid out. They should stop changing the light every time a single car pulls up though. It's definitely a town to drive through carefully, including also the ticket situation there.

eta: I definitely appreciate what they've done with 45 alt. I suffered greatly through what is was before.

IMissJack
11-02-2014, 05:15 PM
I just don't get why MHP doesn't coordinate with West Point, Louisville, etc. to keep the light green or at least have someone there to operate it. Last game I was at, we sat on the 25 bypass at Louisville forever as 2 cars at a time went through the flashing red light.

chainedup_Dawg
11-02-2014, 05:18 PM
This. I can't imagine how you would construct a bypass for the point, considering how it's laid out. They should stop changing the light every time a single car pulls up though. It's definitely a town to drive through carefully, including also the ticket situation there.

eta: I definitely appreciate what they've done with 45 alt. I suffered greatly through what is was before.

Wait until you have to come into West Point when they bring a train through. The same set of tracks crosses Main Street, Broad and 45. Wanna talk about pissed on your lunch break!

Pinto
11-02-2014, 06:44 PM
My dream is for 25 to be connected from Starkville up to the loop on 45A. That would cut off that whole corner and 30 + minutes off the drive from Tupelo/north ms. Again that's my dream.

Goat Holder
11-02-2014, 06:51 PM
My dream is for 25 to be connected from Starkville up to the loop on 45A. That would cut off that whole corner and 30 + minutes off the drive from Tupelo/north ms. Again that's my dream.

There are plans for that. 25 is being worked on all the way up to between Fulton and Tremont, where it will eventually be tied into AL-24. Will be great for the HSV crowd in 50 years.

Martianlander
11-02-2014, 07:37 PM

Yes, I agree, but I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime.