PDA

View Full Version : TUSK, a question

Mutt the Hoople
11-02-2014, 10:05 AM
I remember when we were building the treefort, when the sun set we'd sit outside on the back bumper of your truck, drinking Natty Lites, listening to Conference Call, talking about the upcoming season. You told me that State would eventually pay for relying so much on Jucos. Now I think Alabama and LSU might be facing a similar problem this year.

You think that the reason Alabama and LSU are a little down this year is because they have so many 5-* players? It's like Kentucky in basketball- they both recruit such highly regarded, highly recruited players...and they pan out. However, they leave after 3 years for the NFL. So now, you have a leadership vacuum.

At Mississippi State, we've only had a handful of players leaving after their Junior year. Because they aren't quite NFL-calibre talent yet, they work in the weight room, coaches improve them, and they develop cameraderie. Now State has a bunch of veteran players who knows what it's like to work hard, overcome adversity, and don't get rattled in tough situations.

Big-time schools have been hurt by the Scholarship limitations. Used to be, some undersized but scrappy hardcore player would walk on to an Alabama or Auburn, be a Scout-team demon for 4 years, then play some his Senior year giving the team the Edge it needs. Now, that same player will get a full scholly to South Alabama, UAB, Troy, etc. and play 4 years. Alabama and Auburn don't have those undersized overhearted scrappers that make up the heart of a team like they used to.

At Mississippi State, you have a team loaded with these type of players. Of course, without Dak Prescott we're 6-6, 7-5..because Dan Mullen recognized Prescott's talent when everybody else was projecting him to be a Tight End, we're not #1 in the nation. Personally, I was stunned we actually had a 6'3", 225 QB signing with us. I thought he might've been a Chris Relf-style athlete. Instead, we got Brett Favre without the drinking problem.