PDA

View Full Version : Jumbotron - Atmosphere

Smitty
11-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Mentioned this a few times in the game thread.. Tonight was easily one of the WORST uses of the jumbotron/hype music/generating atmosphere.

1. Advertisements - There were more tonight than all year combined. So many commercials and at the wrong time. I believe we had a huge stop in the 4th quarter and the first thing I hear is Renasant Bank..... Unacceptable. The tron killed crowd energy tonight.

2. Recognitions - There were so many of these. 85 Bulldogs and Armed forces members go for it... But there was one point tonight that we actually started some music that was CUT OUT to honor some cowgirl. W.T.F.

3. Silence - When there wasn't a commercial or recognition there was often...... crickets...... The silence was deafening.

4. The band - Ole Miss does this right. They have microphones at the band which plays through speakers around the stadium. Our band as it currently exists during the game is the most useless thing ever. Make it to where the crowd actually hears them or just let the band play at half and have no seating in the stands.

Just an amateurish night all around regarding this. Energy the first three quarters was abysmal. We are seeing our team ranked #1!!!! Act like it. My section (faculty), for the most part, was a morgue until the 4th Qtr. Completely different from A&M and Auburn. Fix this Scott!!! Ads and recognitions before the game and at halftime! We had been doing so well here, yet reverted back to the old BS tonight which was as bad as ever.

Rant over

archdog
11-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Cowgirl was damn hot from my seats.

archdog
11-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Well the crowd turned it up late 3rd through the end of the game. I really didnt mind the jumbotrons work tonight. Thought that the game was tough to get going because we didn't have much to cheer about with the constant turnovers in the 1st half.
3rd down the bells need to chime immediately after 2nd down to get the crowd up and ready to rock.

Liverpooldawg
11-02-2014, 01:10 AM
Just tell the Arabs that the Jumbotron is the key to US national security. Hopefully they will blow the damn thing up. I hate it. As I have said repeatedly here and elsewhere,send somebody to Georgia Tech. We went to a game there last year when my son took a visit to Georgia Tech (he is a freshman at MSU). They do it right, theirs actually enhances the crowd involvement. It doesn't nearly kill it like ours does.

CrookedLetta
11-02-2014, 07:56 AM
A quick Google search tells me Georgia Tech built their video board in 2009. They've had plenty of time to pay for theirs.

I agree with you that it hurts atmosphere, but this is a business in the end.

SapperDawg
11-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Whoever was running the down and distance portion of the board was horrible last night. It seemed to be consistently late or way off.

AlSwearengen
11-02-2014, 08:04 AM
On T.V., the crowd sounded like it was dead. Even on third downs, it didn't seem very loud as compared to earlier in the year.

starkvegasdawg
11-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Whoever was running the down and distance portion of the board was horrible last night. It seemed to be consistently late or way off.
That a aggravated the piss out of me too. I just started looking at the chain gang and ignored the jumbotron.

Maroonthirteen
11-02-2014, 09:02 AM
I don't think the video board is near as bad as last year.

Atmosphere....... I thought the crowd was loud when we needed to be. I did notice on occassion many people seating on their hands but I was among the blue hairs.

But the big thing is.....I am just continued to be blown away by the tailgating and pregame atmosphere. There are tailgates and a party atmosphere from Bell island to the frat houses to Lot 28. Very impressive tailgating scene at MSU. That is huge for when we bring recruits to campus. Also, the students packed that student section for the whole game. Good job by them. That endzone section adds so much to the atmosphere.

Yeah, they video board dominates at times. We could have been louder. But that game experience is better than it has ever been at MSU. Good job Bulldogs!

Oh! I found it interesting the university didn't show the OM score much on the ribbon boards. I think that was to keep our fans attention on the field rather being distracted by the events in Oxford.

EngineerDawg
11-02-2014, 09:05 AM
The horse is dead you know.